Clio 172 Cup

nelly306

I was looking at the prices for a 172 cup the other day and realised that they are pretty reasonable for a pocket rocket.

Has anyone got one? Are they (passenger ->SAUER0421.GIF) quick?

Also was wondering what the major differences were between the standard car an the cup?

Neil

Hi Neil,

My friend has one (ran it along side his caterham!) and he absolutely loves it. Drove it a couple of times and was very impressed - very enjoyable drivers car and very quick!

I had a clio 172 for 18 months a couple of years back and loved it too - great value for money (but don't expect great reliability if, like me, you put on 55K miles in 18 months and tan the hell out of it! It was a company car....

Main differences IIRC - no Air Con, or ABS on the cup and slightly revised suspension setup.

My friend is probably about to sell his if you are interested ? Fastidiously looked after and low mileage as he only used it at the w/ends! Let me know if you're possibly interested and I can put you in touch.

If you're looking at this sort of car, and can stretch to it, then I'd say the new 182 Clio is a cracking car for the money......EVO mag reckon it's the best hot hatch (possibly ever!)

Hope this helps!

beerchug.gif

JT

Its really tempting me now. Cheers for the link to that old post shao_khan. Noticed you've had a fair old few cars in the last few years!

Maybe the standard 172 will be the best option as I need a/c but wont be able to afford a new 182 cup for a while.

Looking at current prices I can get a 52 plate (10-15k miles) 172 or 172 cup for around £9k which will be do-able in a couple o months.

Just got ok quote for 172 I think, Im 22y.o with 4yrs no claims and no convictions. (One year ago I had an accident and 3 points on policy, mis-spent youth!) Its £890.

Wouldnt mind the civic type-r actually but still sort after and pricey. Anyone got other options that I should consider?

Need at least 0-60 : 8secs and around £9k to spend... confused.gif

Yeah I agree with that the base 172, while slightly more expensive than the 172cup brand new, did have all the toys and not much less performance, so if you could pick one of those up it should be pretty good choice.

One thing though - if you are going to finance your £9k or a good part of it, then check with some of the Renault dealers on what they would do you a deal on for a 182, when I checked last they were offering some cracking rates of finance, one i think was almost 4%. Oh and then you could have it in Gordini Turquoise with the racing stripes.

When I purchased the 172 (you can see a couple of pictures of it on my website) i also drove CTR, Mini cooper S, Leon Curpa R, Pug GTi, and for fun value I found none of them came close to the Clio.

If you do go for that - remember you can order Renault sport handling pack for the 182 which has different suspension and wheels (I think it is quite cheap like £300 or something liek that) but it costs about £1800 to retro fit it. They look quite nice in the black gold also, but Gordini turquoise is smart.

[ QUOTE ]

I am farily certain on the 182 you can specify a cup pack whichh is suspension upgrade and alloy upgrade.

Go for a drive - I did and I brought one........

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, sure you're right on this SK - but it's a no brainer - you HAVE to order it!!! FIREdevil.gif

Who u callin a punk !!!

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire on 3 cylinders or 4 ? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kind of lost touch myself. But being as this is a 1.6 Polo GTI, the most powerful off the production line Polo GTI in the world, and would blow your R32 clear off the line, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky?

Well, do ya punk?"

jump.gif

(just messin 2 smile.gif)

Dave

[ QUOTE ]

Who u callin a punk !!!

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire on 3 cylinders or 4 ? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kind of lost touch myself. But being as this is a 1.6 Polo GTI, the most powerful off the production line Polo GTI in the world, and would blow your R32 clear off the line, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky?

Well, do ya punk?"

jump.gif

(just messin 2 smile.gif)

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif

Looks like I'm going to have to borrow my R32 back from the mate that I sold it to, just to show you what a 'proper' sixed engine can do.....

tongue.gif

PS Oh, and Dave......I ALWAYS feel lucky mate.... the_finger.giftongue.gif

Funny you should call him lucky !!! tongue.gif I heard he isn't all that lucky in finding young women, more old grin.gif

Having said that wanting to come back with a really witty reply, I did a goggle search for lucky trying to find some old minger and look what turned up!!!

Lucky

And your R32 well, there has to be a reason why your giving it away before I get to embarrase you so I'll let you save your dignity jump.gif

Dave

[ QUOTE ]

Funny you should call him lucky !!! tongue.gif I heard he isn't all that lucky in finding young women, more old grin.gif

Having said that wanting to come back with a really witty reply, I did a goggle search for lucky trying to find some old minger and look what turned up!!!

Lucky

And your R32 well, there has to be a reason why your giving it away before I get to embarrase you so I'll let you save your dignity jump.gif

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Nothing wrong with 'Mrs Robinson'....... wink.gif

2. Girl in that pic is hot! FIREdevil.gif

3. I'll race ya when I get the Coupe then.... the_finger.gif