[Audi A3/S3] 2.0 TDI fuel consumption

maersk

Had mine nearly a week and im getting around 44 mpg but i have been switching between paddle shift and D mode quite alot. Have also been playing about in S mode so that couldnt have helped things a deal either?!

I was told anything around the 45-48 mark is about the average for this engine. Dont know if you have heard any different dude? So far I'm more than impressed with the cars performance and I hope it will get better as the car loosens up. Watch this space wink.gif

tongue.gif

Not that good when it is sold as 38.9 urban, 61.4 extra urban and 50.4 combined!

I usually mangae the combined figure in my cars without trying going to work......but this gets high thirties/low forties.

I feel a discussion coming on with Mr Audi and his stated performance for the fuel usage of this car. I f I can prove I boutght on the basis of his figures................

Interesting thought in this day of litigation! sportifs2.gifsekret.gif

I've just gone past 9K with mine and on the "1" computer reading I've got 40.1 - I've never reset it since I received the car. On the "2" reading I've got 45.9 and I've just done a 180 mile round trip, I wasn't hanging about either sekret.gif

I may have got the "1" and "2" the wrong way round but one is for the current journey and the other (40.1) is since I collected the car with 13 miles on the clock.

I'm only using bog standard Diesel as well, I tried the Ultimate once but at 86.9 a ltr I thought 123576-assfeck.gif that.

• 2 weeks later...

when i first picked up my car, i made a 100mile trip to my frens in hastings and managed 50mpg, but driving very slowly.. on M3 M25 and A21 roads.

and the first 2 tanks of fuel have been bog standard diesel, which averaged around 40-45mpg, last couple of tanks i have been running on ultimate diesel and i have been hitting the 45-50mpg now, also in one journey i did manage to average 58mpg with a lot of neutral rolling downhill... yelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Any noticeable decrease in consumption after a particular mileage? mad.gif

These figures seem quite good. Is yours a DSG car?

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, i have the dsg box.

the fuel does take a steep fall when im on the last third of the tank, but the first half of the tank is very strong and easily gets me 280-320 depending on my driving.

• 3 weeks later...

On my last tank of fuel I managed 520 miles. My daily drive to work and back is just under 40 miles and half of it is on a dual carriageway. Been taking it real steady apart from a couple of occasions when a corsa and then a nova fancied ago (can you believe the cheek) so they needed the Sport Mode treatment but on the whole I have been driving in D mode and Im now averaging 46.3 mpg (mode 2) on the DIS and this figure is still rising.

I didnt completely fill the tank either so this time Ive filled her to the brim! This has just cost me a personal record of £46!!! Not bad though for 2.5 weeks of driving.

On my new A3 2.0 TDI SE DSG (it's only a week old) I am getting the overall (DIS2) figure of 44.3mpg. The car has done 499 miles and I use mostly the tiptronic controls for the gearbox. I drive 12 miles to work each day and the rest has been generally country lane driving to get used to the car and gearbox. Great fun it is too !

Dave R

As posted in the Oil Burners section, on my first tank it did 33mpg, and the second 37mpg. This is with a 30 mile commute each day plus a couple of longer trips, mainly in D but sometimes in S. I hardly ever use the tip mode or the paddles.

Had a demo manual A3 2.0TDI Sport for a few days recently which had about 3.5k on the clock. My regular 40 mile commute to work on the M25 and A3 where I normally average about 36-38mpg in my Golf GTI 1.8 Turbo, got about 56mpg in the A3. That was without really trying too, just driving normally. I reckon I could get up to 62-64mpg if I really tried (slow off lights, crusing at about 60-70 though!).

As it's a demo I guess it's probably been thrashed from new so will be much looser than a private motor at 3.5k though.

Hi Guys

Just found this forum tonight!

I have been looking around for an Audi Forum for a while, so Hi!

We have an A3 2.0TDi DSG - its got 4300 odd miles purchased as an ex demo. We are getting (you may not believe it but it's true) 600 miles on a tank with average 49-53MPG. We had an A4 1.9 TDi 130 before and got up to 66MPG (well girlfriend did).

We also have a Golf Mark5 20.tdi which we are struggling to get more than 42mpg at the mo, its pretty bad - thats a manual gearbox.

Quite happy with the Audi tbh but the Golf is proving less fruitful than the Audi.

I have been told that these get better with 9000+ on the clock so we will see.

I have had our A3 back at the stealers a couple of times and they left me with a 2.0FSi in Toucan yellow! I honestly cannot see why one would bother with it over the diesel, I was driving it like a granny and managed to get 33mpg with a range on a tank of just 330 miles.

I love the pull on these new 2.0 tdi units they are very quick - the DSG on the Audi is fantastic even my girlfriend now loves Auto's and before wouldnt drive them.

Cheers

Tone

I have only had my 2.0 TDI SE for a couple of weeks now and covered just under 1000 miles. On the first tank of fuel I got 49.9 mpg, and so far on the second the computer is showing 54 mpg.

Bearing in mind that I am still running in, therefore sticking to country lanes and varying the revs as much as possible, this isn't bad. On a 20 mile motorway trip I did at 70 mph I was getting 58 mpg out of it.

Compared to my 1.9 Passat TDI Estate (130 bhp) these figures are very pleasing (although it the passat is a lot heavier).

My previous commuting car was a Jetta 1.6 Turbo Diesel and over 4 years and 100k miles I averaged 58 mpg. I don't suppose I will ever match that in any future car!

Still not very impressed with the thirstiness of mine. The average mpg actually went down to 37 on the last tank, and that was including a long drive back from Leeds. I've just got back from a 60 mile motorway trip, doing 75mph on cruise, and it still only managed 45mpg.

[ QUOTE ]

Still not very impressed with the thirstiness of mine. The average mpg actually went down to 37 on the last tank, and that was including a long drive back from Leeds. I've just got back from a 60 mile motorway trip, doing 75mph on cruise, and it still only managed 45mpg.

[/ QUOTE ]

strange.. mine is really good.. especially the longer distance the better mpg.

overall averaged 44.7mpg over 3800miles.

using ultimate diesel now too, and returning more high 40s and 50s mpg.

maybe your engine needs more running in??

i use it, it gives that bit more mpg, but really i use it due to the fact that theres hardly any smoke when floor it, and performance wise it feels much more responsive SMOKE6.GIF

its a steep price to pay, current tank was 87.9

may revert back to standard diesel again? very expensive even if it really is good for the engine smashfreakB.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I've had mine for 3 weeks as of today and have covered about 2,400 miles in it, mainly up and down between London, Manchester and Birmingham, so lots of motorway work... whilst the speeds have been a little on the high side, I am still not that impressed with the mpg... I started off getting around 41.3mpg but am now up to about 43.1mpg... not a great improvement but at least it's going in the right direction.. performance and handling are fantastic though and lots of fun has been had!