Meguiars - the things they dont tell you

Bushy

Bit of an odd title, but I feel that many people buy the wrong products and I thought I would share with you what I personally recommend

When you go to the Mequiar’s site or in fact mine you can buy all sorts of products, great. But which one? - they just don’t tell you!

So now I am.

I think there are basically 2 types of car cleaners.

Firstly the guys who are happy to wash once a fortnight, or less regular if it doesn’t look dirty, they know the car needs a polish/wax but don’t think more than once or twice a year is necessary.

So for these guys I would recommend Gold Class Wash or Soft wash gel, Gold Class Wax (which comes with its own applicator pad) and I believe the endurance tyre gel makes a worthwhile addition to get those tyres looking better than new.

That’s it, maybe a terry towel for polishing off, but that IMHO is a basic kit.

Depending on the type of car Gold Class Trim detailer for exterior plastics and vinyl’s with Natural Shine for interior surfaces, please note all thought the label says interior shine, this can also provide matt finish if buffed off immediately

Then you have the fanatic, myself included.

Again the gold class wash is a must, maybe the larger bottle as you no doubt wash at least once a week. And of course the wash mitt is superb with the drying towel to dry off

As for THE ultimate paintwork finish you need to use the Deep Crystal 3 stage finish. This does actually last for about 3-6 months. I used to wax every fortnight with Autoglym Super Resin but am happy to leave it for a couple of months now because it literally doesn’t need it. I would be as bold it gives the depth of shine and hard wearing finish close to more expensive products, such as Zymol, but at a much more affordable price

With the 3 stage you need to order some applicator pads and at least one terry towel, IMHO. To give the final touch over the paintwork I can recommend the ultimate wipe cloth, it just gives that extra finishing.

Also before you apply the first cleaner stage you may need to use the clay bar system. A good test to see if this is required is to wash you car normally, then run you fingers gently over the upper surfaces, say the bonnet, is it as smooth as glass? Then your OK. If not clay bar it.

The clay bar is a superb product when used correctly and my tips for this are, apply a lot of quik detailer spray to the panel, then after massaging the clay to a soft state, give it a squirt of detailer too. Then rub up and down the panel and you WILL be amazed

Also if you have small swirl marks or scratched Scrath X or Body Scrub will remove these

Then polish, then wax, outstanding!, if you are really keen in a week or so apply stages 2 and 3 again. The depth of shine is outstanding

I use about 3 terry towels and at least one pack of applicator pads

Endurance gel for tyres, Gold class trim detailer for exterior plastics.

Interior Natural Shine and Gold Class leather cleaner/conditioner.

I personally use the professional glass cleaner, 1 gallon which mixes 1:10 so 10 gallons worth, use it in the house as well. This seems to have the same effect as rain x too

Wheels, now this is a tricky one. The Hot Rims is a good product but the professional Wheel brightener is even better. This will literally shift everything from your rims. However once clean I do use Wheelwax, this then lasts about 2 months of washing with water only, maybe the dregs from the wash bucket to clean stubborn marks

That’s it really

I hope this helps people make the right decision - Meguiars beerchug.gif

Oh yeahh, maintenance

I suggest the bug and tar removes really ground in marks, especially in the summer with either quik wax to top up the wax finish where you have probably removed it with this product.

I tend to use loads of quik detailer. Say youve just washed and waxed to go to a meet, drive 2 hours, the car is a bit dusty and has bird shite on it, well a quik wipe over with detailer and a towel bringsback that just waxed look and feel

I must now have a collection of 12 or more of the meguires products, including the drying towel and wash mitt...

I find that all the products are superb and work really well.. Some are unbelivable :Scratch X is just amazing.. really has to been seen to be believed laugh.gif

Endurance tyre gloss is another.. forget all the other crap you can buy in the shops.. I've tried it all.. this is head and shoulders above the rest..

Dirty exhaust pipe.. meguires metal & chrome cleaner.. dog's nads. brilliant...

I still use Zymol as my final wax coat.. to say I'm a fanatic would be an understatement laugh.gif

Dave

I think I'm a meguairs loony... I really do!

As Steve can confirm... I think off the top of my head the following list would be all I've bought

2 Ultimate Cloths

1 Wash Mitts

3 Endurance Gels (they're that good), tho I havent finished the 1st

3 Gallons of detailer

1 Clay bar / detailer

1 Hot rims

3 Gallons of professional wheel brightener

6 Applicator Pads

1 terry towel

4 Gold class wash bottles (all gone bar 1)

1 Large Gold Class wash container (next 4 the banana)

1 3 Stage cleaner

1 Leather Cream thingy

What else....erm... I think maybe I need help... smashfreakB.gifgrin.gif and I'm pretty sure I've missed out 1 or 2 more items.. confused.gif

Going onto the Meguiars website the other day I found a cleaning prescription thing. You tell them details about your car, its paintwork, where the car is parked etc and they recommend what the best products are for you to use. My car is silver and I wash it every week, and try to wax once a month if possible (weather permiting). Meguiars recommended that I use the gold glass wash (which I do) and the gold class wax (again as I do) waxing every 2-3 months. The report thing said not to bother polishing, or the 3 stage system as its not worth while on a light car. It also said to use the body scrub if the paintwork does not have that smooth as glass feeling before waxing.

Personally I love the gold class wash and wax but I don't think much of their leather cleaner, in fact I've stopped using it. I noticed they now have new seperate cleaner and conditioner for leather so am tempted to try that.