Newby says hello... and asks his first questions!

Fingers

Hello!

I have just put down my holding deposit on an R plate, Nogaro Blue S8 with 62k on the clock. And haven't stopped grinning since the test drive! Sadly I have to wait 10 days before I pick her up and inadvertantly drive from Surrey to London via Edinburgh, as some dozy tart took a gouge out of the rear bumper as I stood there haggling with the dealer... Good things come to those who wait I guess...

If it hadn't been for reading this forum over the last couple of weeks, I might well have ended up with something completely different, so thank you for showing me the way!

Now, I have a couple of simple questions that I'm sure have been covered on here before, yet whenever I search the forums I get a database error message, so please forgive me if this is covered in depth elsewhere!

1st q - the stereo. She has the Bose upgrade, and the Concert head unit, but I was quite surprised that there are no steering wheel controls. Is this something that can be retro fitted? I intend to fit a dension MP3 HD player (probably in the little hatch that hides the sat nav buttons). These can be integrated nicely into the Concert system so the standard buttons control the MP3 player ( Oooh, clever... ) but it would still be nice to control everything without having to waste precious energy on leaning forward....

q2 - having recently picked up my first 3 points in my other true love (BMW635csi) I've been looking at some sort of early warning system... The Origin seems a good bet, with GPS and radar / laser detection ( Origin B1 ) but it appears the GPS antenna would have to be mounted externally because of the accoustic glass / heat refelective doo-dar (radar detector can go behind the grille). Has anyone managed this discretely? I dont want to cut holes, or end up with a nasty black lump stuck on the outside of the car. i dont suppose its possible to use the existing GPS lump on the boot?! Or has anyone used a similar unit sucessfully with the GPS receiver in the car?

Hopefully one of you old hands can shed some light! Either way, I look forward to chatting with you all and hopefully meeting up for a shandy at some point!

Cheers

Fingers beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Hello!

1st q - the stereo. She has the Bose upgrade, and the Concert head unit, but I was quite surprised that there are no steering wheel controls. Is this something that can be retro fitted? I intend to fit a dension MP3 HD player (probably in the little hatch that hides the sat nav buttons). These can be integrated nicely into the Concert system so the standard buttons control the MP3 player ( Oooh, clever... ) but it would still be nice to control everything without having to waste precious energy on leaning forward....

q2 - having recently picked up my first 3 points in my other true love (BMW635csi) I've been looking at some sort of early warning system... The Origin seems a good bet, with GPS and radar / laser detection ( Origin B1 ) but it appears the GPS antenna would have to be mounted externally because of the accoustic glass / heat refelective doo-dar (radar detector can go behind the grille). Has anyone managed this discretely? I dont want to cut holes, or end up with a nasty black lump stuck on the outside of the car. i dont suppose its possible to use the existing GPS lump on the boot?! Or has anyone used a similar unit sucessfully with the GPS receiver in the car?

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, welcome and you have to post pictures! A blue S8? How cool!

Why not get a phatnoise system for your S8, it just plugs in to where your CD changer went, displays on the Concert unit and I believe it even has voice commands (it says stuff, doesn't hear your voice)?

1729.jpg

Audi sells them for $399 US in the states.

You could probably upgrade your steering wheel, but I would have to know what year you have, probably need a new cancelling ring, etc, airbag, you name it.

Post a picture and I can tell you what you will need. Maybe up to $1200 US.

Can't really help you with the second question....I'm just a yankee!

pw

beerchug.gif

Hi PW!

Thanks for the welcome and the Phatnoise tip - I hadn't come across these before... Sadly I've left her at the dealers awaiting the new bumper, so all I could manage was a couple of v.bad camera phone pics on a rainy day - I'll obviously update them once I get my hands on her! I'll have a go at putting them up on this message.

The Phatnoise thing looks ideal, I'm off to find the specs!

Cheers!

Fingers

post-5438-137914282012_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! thats answered my first 2 questions perfectly, and I'm already beginning to feel like part of the family! I guess I'll just have to get into training to lean forward and press buttons... Thanks for the bluetack idea AnArtist! Not one I would have come up with myself...

SneakyMcC - I'll tell you the Fingers story over a pint someday... In answer to your other q's, I dont think shes that loaded with options - to be honest i fell in love with her, so the options list wasn't that important! The 3 year RAC warranty was a nice bonus, as was the FASH and the fact that she only had her 60k service 2 months ago. Oh, and the fact that I couldn't stop grinning.

She has the solar roof, the standard sat nav, the phone/armrest and the Bose amp/speaker upgrade, but im not sure what is standard on these beasts. I'm guessing the fully electric heated seats / mirrors / steering adjustments are all pretty common. I know she DOESN'T have parking control, electric blinds, timer activated climate control or on/off traction control, but aside from showing off to passengers I'm not likely to miss them! I gather if I end up taking her on the track (might be a bit different to the X1/9 I usually take!) I can add the traction button easily enough, so I'm not that worried.

Can't wait....

jump.gif

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Oh, re the search function, make sure the url reads: http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/search.php?Cat= (i.e. no numbers behind the = ). Save this url: http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat= in your favorites, and it'll work automatically from then on (if you use that to acces TSN).

Re radar thingy's, have you checked out the new Stinger DSI? Not cheap, but the latest military technology, and undetectable (here the police uses RDD's already, and you know how they adapt each others tricks).

They don't stand a chance with this.... and it's legal! grin.gif

I've got an Origin B2 fitted-,yes,you do need to put the receiver outside the windscreen,but it's a preety discrete thing stuck in the offside bottom corner.The B2 is far,far better than the B1 by the way.I think you'll find that any radar detector that works with satellite detection will nedd the antenna fitted outside the car-Can't help you with your question about the i.c.e-that sounds far too technical for me I'm afraid,but there's some brainy b*****rs on this website so I'm sure you'll find out.

Welcome fingers, nice buy by the way.

I'd agree with the Phatnoise purchase, and if you can get it at that price, then go for it...megga saving. Quite tempted myself in fact!!!

Shame you've got to wait for 10 days, I'm not sure I'd be able to, I got impatient knowing I had to wait 3/4 days!!!!!

Welcome again, maybe you can make it to the MK meet on Thursday and introduce yourself!!!

Tony

Ooooh, spooky... Crusader01 you have a better picture of my car than I do! Weird! Are you following me? Are you the chap I bought it off?! Is that you outside my house?! (BTW should I be blocking out the number plate in pictures? I see everyone else is, but it never occured to me...)

Fenn, thanks for the B2 info. I think you're probably right - and I cant afford the ICBM guidance system available from Stinger!

And as for you MingBlueMagic... smashfreakB.gif

Seems only fair though as I hadn't even heard of one until yesterday! Actually, on that note, can anyone tell me if the Concert unit displays the track names on screen?

Thanks for the meet info Tony - sadly I'm off on a hot first date that night (I say sadly...) but will definitely come to the next one. I'm just going to have to pick up the lady in question in the old 635csi... she may not have quite the 'oooh' factor of the S8, but she still looks the biz! (er, the BMW that is, not the lady... I think...)

Once again thanks for the warm welcome guys - a refreshing change from some of the forums I have used in the past!