DVD SatNav +, Help guys !

Hi to you all on here, I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post, I have come over from BM3W.co.uk

Used to have a M3 but sold it and come over to the Audi way of thinking. beerchug.gif

Anyway I have a new A3 with the SatNav+ system and am curious about all this SD or MMC thing.I know the car has these two slots behind the screen but can someone in plain English explain how it all works.

I gather you buy a memory card and a reader/writer, then what ? What web site do you go to for the music,what software do you need to do all this on your PC or does it come with the reader/writer ?

Any help would be much appriciated as I would like to take advantage of this technology on the car but don't have much of an idea how to ? notworthy.gif

Welcome to the board!

Well I was like you - I knew that MP3 was a compressed music format and that was the end of it.

You will need a PC and a Card writer (details of the writer below)and some free software.

A friend pointed to this web site so that I could understand the technology required: Ratified MP3 guide

OK, got that? Do read the site - don't just blast into getting the software - you will get very confused (I did and I'm an IT professional too). blush.gif

I know you can download MP3s from the 'net, I have never bothered so I just transfer my favourite CDs to MP3.

You will need some Freeware software - I use Audio Grabber to rip the CDs (also collects the track names etc) and something with the unlikely name of 'Lame' that compresses the music to Mp3 format. There are other tools - I use these on recomendation - they work fine.

Alright - the two SD/MMC card slots will take cards up to 1Gb in size (the huge user guide says that the max size is 256mb - it is wrong). A 1 Gb card from Expansys is £122, 256mb cards are around £35 each.

Think of each card as a huge CD drive - a 1Gb drive will hold around 16 Cds worth of music, the Audi system will play each Mp3 album sequentially - just like a a CD changer moves onto the next disc.

If you wish you can create Genre folders - say Blues, Rock 'n Roll instead - the player will move through the selected folder. There are some limits, i.e. max 400 files and the the whole file name and its path musn't exceed 64 characters.

Unlike a conventional CD changer (unless an Audi one is connected to your Nav system) though the Audi system displays all the Track names/album name/artist/year etc etc and looks absolutely fantastic in the process.

You will need a reader/writer - I use one of these: Expansys - 8in1 USB2.0 Reader/Writer

Now I have my head around it I can't ever see me going back to CDs in the car.

Does this help?

I have the Nav+ cd and will definitely add the Nav+ dvd to my next car, can anyone tell me if the transition from one track to another is seemless, as in no audio gap??

I am thinking more for mix albums, ipod is so annoying when listening to mix cds as rather than a seemless mix there is a small gap inserted.

[ QUOTE ]

can anyone tell me if the transition from one track to another is seemless, as in no audio gap??

[/ QUOTE ]

It is seamless, the amount of gap is user-definable in the CD ripping tool I use 'Audiograbber'. Also the move between albums (folders) is seamless too. I nearly ordered the the CD based Nav+ system - and then realised that the cost difference between the CD based solution + a CD changer and the DVD system with MP3 card slots and therefore no need of the changer was about £300 - and worth it. Either way you still get the ultra whizz multi-colour DIS in the dash.

Thanks, I think the ipod gives a gap (even when you choose no gap when ripping) because the hard drive loads the track into cache and then spins down to save power, but this means that at teh end of each trac you have to wait for the drive to spin up and load the next track into cache again.

Also do you now get the street names on the map?? that is one thing I really miss from the BMW nav. So handy to look up and see the street name and look at the map to see exactly where you are and if there are any short cuts.

[ QUOTE ]

Also do you now get the street names on the map??

[/ QUOTE ]

Sitting in the garage (roll on tomorrow) and having a play - it looks like some street names are shown on the map, the instructions to turn into a particular road (with street name) are also shown in the DIS so perhaps there is some sort of logic to keep the maps a little cleaner from an appearance point of view?

[ QUOTE ]

Alright - the two SD/MMC card slots will take cards up to 1Gb in size (the huge user guide says that the max size is 256mb - it is wrong).

[/ QUOTE ]

Now a bit worried about this statement - having worked perfectly it has now started to crash the MP3 player when a 1 gb card is installed in slot 2.......

Need to do some more investigation.

Using a 512Mb card, I just had my first crash of the MP3 playback - probably about 10 hours driving (95% on the MP3 card) and it's only done it once. It did it on a folder I've not played before - so it may be something to do with jumping from one file to another that has "odd" characters, I will investigate smile.gif

Good news though is that it's not just your unit so don't panic and think you have a faulty one (unless we both do of course wink.gif !!

Just to keep you all informed the DIS is NOT in colour on the A3 with Sat Nav +

However the SatNav is great and far better than BMW's current offering.

Despite people slagging off the BOSE upgrade I actually think it is very good and sounds better than the Harman Kardon upgrade I had in my M3

I have about 6K's worth of HiFi at home so know what music should sound like.Very happy with the BOSE in my A3

[ QUOTE ]

Despite people slagging off the BOSE upgrade

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think that the BOSE in my cab is awesome too - roof up or down. Certainly comparable if not a little better to the Saab AS3/Harmon Kardon kit I've had in the past.

I am slightly biased in the BOSE direction though - in the 8th year of a love affair with a pair of their incredible home hifi 901 speakers (or the Twins as my other half calls them).

[ QUOTE ]

Using a 512Mb card, I just had my first crash of the MP3 playback - probably about 10 hours driving (95% on the MP3 card) and it's only done it once. It did it on a folder I've not played before - so it may be something to do with jumping from one file to another that has "odd" characters, I will investigate

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Russ, that is a comfort - I'm going to load music onto the other 256mb card I have and run them both - if they stay up reliably then I'll have an idea of where to look.

The 1Gb card that Expansys supplied is a 'Kingmax' and you see varying reports on these cards - I'm inside my 14 day returns period..........