How easy is it to roll a 4x4??

Snail

Was hoofing it a bit on the way home, and there was this old mitshubishi 4x4 thing trying to play too.......i was amazed at the speed he was going round some roundabouts, and the angle his car was at as he came off the roundabout.

Is it even possible to roll em?

[ QUOTE ]

Is it even possible to roll em?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Remember watching Driven and them getting I think the Landcruiser Amazon right on two side wheels. 5th Gear did a 4x4 safety special programme last year and put a cage and a test driver into an old Rangie.... then did a simulated lane change - essentially the A Klasse style elk test - and it rolled straight over. Would never ever consider buying one of these things. Would take a rapid quattro shooting brake everytime myself.

Ian C

Overfinch defies some of the normal laws of physics. I've twice seen 4x4s roll on the motorway when every other car has either stayed in a straight line or just slewed sideways. I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole if safety was a consideration (or, in fact, for any purpose other than a need for offroad ability).

The number of times you hear them being justified for safety reasons is staggering when you consider they are one of the least safe modern cars on the roads.

Rant off now. I'll take one of those nice tablets.

Mate of mine damaged his neck and back rolling a Suzuki while he was working at Milbrook. On a lot of the older ones with the very big tyres they would have a problem where you could cause them to slide sideways, when the tyres eventually caught traction the high centre of gravity would still cause the vehicle to continue sideways, but as it had traction then it would just topple itself over - I am sure that is the way it was explained to me.

judging by the way my brother throws his freelander about, i can safely say that it's stability is pretty impressive. it defies physics in fact. but at the end of the day, there is still a lot of body roll which will inevitably upset the handling in some way and in the wrong hands will always be more dangerous than your average car. Personally, i cannot see the point in 'em. they're slow, thirsty and usually expensive to buy - maybe the owners are just trying to demonstrate their wealth to everyone else? My bruvs is used properly of course. he's a field tech and is always going off road. He's managed to break 3 so far... in 6 months! good work fella 169144-ok.gifjump.gif

Another safety aspect often overlooked, you're more likely to die in a big burly 4x4 if you hit something imovable like a tree, than you would in your sensible saloon. Due to the increased size and bulk of most 4x4s, the vehicle has to be more rigid to support it's own weight, so crumple zones aren't as prevalent. So if you are going to crash in one, make sure you hit something that will cushion the impact. Something like a sensible saloon, pedestrian, maissonette etc. Mind you, hit pretty much anything in an Amazon and you're gonna go straight through it anyway!

[ QUOTE ]

He's managed to break 3 so far... in 6 months! good work fella

[/ QUOTE ]

In the words of Ali G - RRReespect.

Aside from that, I totally agree. Where I live, the driveways are stuffed with 4x4s that manage to go on gruelling, adrenaline-sapping adventures to far off lands such as...

Waitrose

or maybe even the local school.

While I have sympathy for the minority who bought them for genuine reasons, I would wager that over 95% of X5s, MLs, Touaregs and XC90s are bought in order to keep up with the Joneses.

[ QUOTE ]

The number of times you hear them being justified for safety reasons is staggering when you consider they are one of the least safe modern cars on the roads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, safe for the occupants, not for the poor bastard they've just flattened!

The other big no no with 4X4's is stopping distances, these things with so much weight and off road style tyres go sailing on for miles when they have to anchor up at speed. Always scares the crap out of me when I see some pillock in the outside lane behind me in a Land Cruiser or Disco at 70+mph cos I know if I had to stop quickly it'd go straight through my car... UHOH7.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Another safety aspect often overlooked, you're more likely to die in a big burly 4x4 if you hit something imovable like a tree, ... so crumple zones aren't as prevalent. So if you are going to crash in one, make sure you hit something that will cushion the impact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lesser crumple zones, and add a bit of basic physics for increased death fun ...

heavier vehicle = more energy that has nowhere to go when you meet aforementioned immvoable object, except into you. The result is you come out well minced instead of bruised.

I blame today's schools - whenever you try to explain this to someone, you generally get a blank look followed by "but they're safer, everyone *knows* this"

I wish I could buy a licence to use 4x4-free roads and mways. Seriously. I'd pay money for this.

No I've a better idea. Make 4x4s only go off-road - ie through fields, and pay the farmers for right of way. Kills three birds with one stone. Farmers get money (not as if they're growing crops in this weather anyway). 4x4'ers get to use the vehicles as they are meant to. Regular punters get safer motoring and less congestion.

I'm going to patent this now before Ken Livingstone implements it in London smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

we have a toyota Rav 4 3 door and it is great fun to drive and very stable and i hav'nt got it onto 3 wheels yet unlike my a4, mind you i agree about the braking it can be a bit dodgy!!(like my back)

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a Rav 4 yesterday while jogging!! This was funny... as it swerved to miss a puddle!! haha

We bought an ML270cdi at the start of the year, as we lived in the city and every night when taking the dog somewhere for a walk my daughter would get me to put the thule bike carrier and her bike on the roof, which after a couple of months became tiresome, the ML was ideal because I could open the back and plonk her mountain bike straight in there, also meant that I could use it for lugging stuff to the shows I go to instead of the van.

However, the ride was awful and I was very self concious of driving it about, kept it 5 months and sold it.

And no I wouldn't want to hurl it round a roundabout even at moderate speeds.

[ QUOTE ]

[

I saw a Rav 4 yesterday while jogging!! This was funny... as it swerved to miss a puddle!! haha

[/ QUOTE ]

well your not allowed to get them dirty after spending hours cleaning them ECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True but most are used to ferrying billy and johnny to school aren't they?! So most get some kerb action..

f'ing mums in 4x4s...

this morning i'm in queue of traffic, two lanes. Mum in 4x4 ahead on my right is signalling to pull into my lane. I slow down, flash twice. no movement. slow more, flash twice. no movement. oh ok, she got the indicator on and doesn't realise it ...what is that ticking noise and intermittant illumination on the instrument cluster I wonder? drawing level now. indicating ceases. then she pulls out, causing me to stamp on brakes, narrowly missing taking the nose off me. I beep and get two fingers for my trouble... and even better she is turning round to deliver the message. Might explain why she drove through the red light. Irony is, two kids strapped in the car and a 'baby on board' sign!

I think 4x4ers of this type are starting t rise to the levels of white-man-man and testosterone-overload-bmw-man.

rant over.