Heard of this before?

simkna

Driving home late last night, turned on rear demist, backed out of car park and set off down road. A couple of minutes later, could smell hot buring smell. Instinctively turned off demister as it was the only thing I thought could be hot. Thought I must have imagined it and thought nothing more of it. About 5 minutes later, just driving along when BANG!! The back window just exploded!! Scared the bejesus out of me I can tell you. Managed to crawl home with at least some of the window in place, but shattered. Anybody here heard of similar happening?

Si "Brown Trousers" Knapton.

[ QUOTE ]

Anybody here heard of similar happening?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is certainly not common on the A4. Since the Smart rear screen saga, the only know rear-screen-smasher I am aware of is the 2001 Laguna 5dr where the gas struts pop out of their sockets and rapidly extend... straight through the glass. Unlike the Smart, not connected at all to the heated elements. How long did it take to replace the glass and who did you use?

Ian C

[ QUOTE ]

Keep us posted on what they say about it, I have an 02 2.5 tdi avant too, and my dog sits in the back all the while, I would sue their arse off if it happened when he was in the car, he's my boy LOL.

jake_outside.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Bless him, I'd feel the same as our's is our only child.

ben-smiley-800.jpg

Yes, let us know how you get on as I can imagine that frightening the life out of you.

[ QUOTE ]

Car still not back on road as Audi UK don't have any rear windows in stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not surprised, dealers - Audi or anyone else - don't stock glass. Autoglass only fit Audi glass and will get you back on the road way faster than your dealer. Give them a buzz and see what appointment they offer you.

Ian C