DVD SatNav+ - Crash!

Mmm I do hope this isn't the 'warning shot', the MP3 player part of the system crashed tonight.

The first warning was that it finished playing a folder (album) and just stopped, without moving onto the next one, then decided that only one track existed on just one of the two cards. The final insult was no tracks on any cards, and even if the cards were removed - the display said the cards were still insitu....

I remembered from reading the Sat Nav manual that you can do a reset and force a clean reboot - normal service was resumed.

Given that such instructions are so so carefully documented my guess is that this will happen again..... frown.gif

I've not managed to get this to happen again since it happened once playing my 512Mb card - I left it switched on and let the whole card play all the way through (it's not full wink.gif, came back to the car and it was still playing having looped back to the beginning, so I don't think it's a problem with filenames otherwise it would have done the same thing.

I have a 1Gb SD card on it's way to me now, not sure of the brand as it's a freebie from one of my suppliers, so we will see how that goes!

Russ.

[ QUOTE ]

I left it switched on and let the whole card play all the way through (it's not full , came back to the car and it was still playing having looped back to the beginning

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to leave the engine running to do that - mine 'auto offs' after an hour.

The unit crashed again this morning with a single 256mb card (a decent Kingston one at that too).

I'll have to ring the dealer....

[ QUOTE ]

I'll have to ring the dealer....

[/ QUOTE ]

Let him know you know somebody else who is getting the same problem - you don't want them pulling the car to bits or sticking a new nav+ in when it's probably a software glitch. If you report it to Audi, I will aswell, I will see if I can get a few other people to report it, then they should take it seriously (hopefully) and who knows in a couple of years time they might have a new software release that fixes it wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

A colleague of mine also experienced very frequent Nav+ crashes while playing MP3 from an SD card. He told me that these problems would appear every time he would try to browse through the Nav menus at the same time the MP3 was running.

I do also have the Nav+ system on an A4 I got a few weeks ago but MP3 works almost perfectly in my car.

Since my colleague's A4 is a bit older, I guess the problem is more likely to be a bug in the Nav+ embedded software.

I checked the software version of both cars (via Car->Version in Nav+) and here is what I got:

March'04 A4: SW 0060 HW H44

August'04 A4: SW 0080 HW H47

Can you also post the software version that you are running and tell us whether you do or don't have any MP3 related problems?

Thanks

FiK

You want to get "SD / MMC cards". eBay, PCWorld, just about every electronics retailer will sell them as they are used in PDA's, digital cameras etc.

An example link is HERE but you really can get them anywhere, just search in google for "SD CARD UK" (assuming you are in the UK of course).

Then of course you will need an SD/MMC card reader/writer for your PC in order to transfer MP3 files to it. Something like THIS would do.

Audi states that the nav unit will accept up to 256Mb cards but it's still in debate whether this is just because you couldn't get anything bigger than that when the manual was built. I have two SD cards in mine (as it has two slots), one is a 512Mb and one is a 1Gb. Both work fine. It occasionally crashes if you are skipping through tracks and folders whilst listening to an MP3, waiting to hear from others here whether a replacement head unit and/or software update will fix that.

Note - the links above were just the first websites I came across... they are not recommended by me and if you shop around I am sure you can find better and cheaper!