Location of TV Tuner?

russellfray

Does anybody know where the TV tuner box is located in my new A4? I want to plug my laptop in and see what the quality of the display is like so I know whether to pursue my in-car-computer project.

I also want an excuse to get rid of the gala signal (even though I believe the newer models don't have gala as it's all over canbus?) and stick a vcr in the boot!

The kids love the new cars - but of course as soon as we started on our 2 hour journey down to oxford, we both had shouts of "I want to watch titanic" and "I want to watch power rangers". The kids can't work out that if these new cars are so much better and newer than the old ones, why doesn't it have a video or dvd player! Still - gives me an excuse to go out and buy more gadgets doesn't it wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Russ have you got Gala settings under 'Sound' then 'DSP'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm I don't have a "DSP" option when i go into the sound menu, just bass/treble/fade/volume etc. I have the Bose sound system so perhaps that makes a difference? I can't find any speed-sensitive volume options but haven't read the manual yet wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thought the tuner was behind the glovebox, don't quote me!

[/ QUOTE ]

I shall see if anybody else has any other suggestions before pulling it out... if I can wait wink.gif

Russ.

I have BOSE too, have you got controls on the steering wheel? If you have then you won't have Gala, I think. That's what I've interpreted from the DIY SatNav installation guides I've seen. The one cable is used for either Gala or steering controls.

Not sure how the speed restriction on the tuner works if it doesn't - stuck there! UHOH7.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

have you got controls on the steering wheel? If you have then you won't have Gala, I think. That's what I've interpreted from the DIY SatNav installation guides I've seen. The one cable is used for either Gala or steering controls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - I have the multi function steering wheel with the stereo controls.

I read that aswell... which is odd because it says you still have to cut the gala wire, but the signal is not used? Hmmm maybe I will just try it and see what happens and take some photos/set up a website with the results - atleast that way others will know what does and doesn't work on the new DVD based sat nav as the other sites are still giving info on the CD one.

What's the worst that can happen... I completely break the car and void the warranty... AARRGGHHHH!!!! smile.gif

The tv tuner is in the boot behind the left panel.

In my car I had the gala wire cut, and as a result I'm able to watch tv while driving NONO3.GIF

However, it feels that before cutting the wire, the sound volume was adjusted for speed, but now not anymore. And I also have the multi function steering wheel confused.gif

Good luck with your gadget project. Keep us posted!

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The tv tuner is in the boot behind the left panel.

In my car I had the gala wire cut, and as a result I'm able to watch tv while driving NONO3.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ha - thanks, will take a look this afternoon after work!

[ QUOTE ]

However, it feels that before cutting the wire, the sound volume was adjusted for speed, but now not anymore. And I also have the multi function steering wheel

[/ QUOTE ]

Odd! Still, small price to pay smile.gif Does your navigation system still work ok or do you find it updates more slowly without the Gala wire? My only concern of cutting that cable is that it might interfer with the Nav.

Russ.

I have the Nav+ cd based system and it has a switch in the gala cable, if you disconnect it the speed volume does not work and yes you are right, the nav only updates every 5 or so seconds, also the Nav takes a few miles to get back into the swing of things when the gala is reconnected which is a bit of a pain.

I would buy one of the adapters it will let you watch tv, give you an av input and not effect the Nav.

Here is a cheap one, perhaps mail him and ask if he has the one for the dvd nav too.

Ebay.de

[ QUOTE ]

Adapter for TV- de-energising for AUDI,Seat,Skoda and VOLKSWAGEN navigation system plus with integrated TVtV-Tuner, so that its television or DVD Player also while driving functions.

The plug is new.

It is put simply between Navi and Orginalstecker between them.

Change lasts 5 min. Who the clips for the development of the Navi still needs gives I theOrginal part number or you transfers simply 6 euro more and I sendsyou the clips also.

Does not fit for the new A8 off mod. 2004 and the new universal terminals of Touareg and Touran.

The adapter does not have influence on the Navi, only the Gala (volume adjustment at high speed) of the radio is awaywhich is usually anyway switched off because it while drivingdisturbs.

All adapters are examined before dispatch for function.

[/ QUOTE ]

He may say that you can just cut the wire on the dvd based units? so worth sending him a mail.

[ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by 'update' for the navi+

[/ QUOTE ]

Your position updates more slowly - as normally your map position is calculated using a combination of GPS, speed, and direction. Without the speed, the car thinks you are sitting still so instead of a nice moving map, it only updates the position when it gets a GPS signal. It's only meant to add a couple of seconds to the update speed, but could be annoying if for example you are driving across a number of roundabouts as it could get confused and not realise how far you've travelled in time.

The other thing is you can often end up OFF ROAD for a while and it can take a fair while for it to dump you back on the map, happens alot on roundabouts with exits close together.

Also when you have a right turn in a city with 2 very close you are not always sure which one to take.

Remeber I am talking from experience with the cd system, maybe the dvd gets speed pulse from elsewhere and just uses gala for volume? From what you are saying dolphin I think this is probably the case, go on Russell give the wire a snip mate wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

go on Russell give the wire a snip mate wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey don't worry I'm going to smile.gif I've just pulled the TV tuner out of the boot (needed two stereo removal keys, lucky I've already bought them to remove the stereo!).

I've pulled the connecter apart and am just printing out the pin-out connections so I can shove my laptop in the boot and see what the image is like, and see if I can get it to accept an s-vhs rather than composite input.

Next on the to-do list is the gala-wire - I'm going to see if I can carefully unplug just that pin with some small pliers rather than cutting the wire - either that or I will make the cut well away from the stereo up in a place where Audi wouldn't spot it should I cause any harm!

Watch this space... and also watch www.in-car-computer.co.uk which I will be uploading information to as I go along.

Looking good Russell, you need to download powerstrip, this will allow you to do custom resolutions and timings on your Dell laptop.

You should then be able to get the image pixel perfect

720x576@50Hz for pal

or

[email protected] for NTSC

This should give you a good image, do you know if the TV tuner can take an RGB signal ??

If it does then you can also use powerstrip to give you RGBs using the either the Vertical or Horizontal sync as the composite sync, this would be razor sharp smile.gif

Having said that S would probably more than enough on a 7" screen.