SatNav Volume, Heated rear screen, Boot unlock.

Laffer

Yo All,

I Have a '98 S8 with non LCD sat nav (just in the instrument binacle). The womans voice is well too soft at the moment - is there a way to adjust the volume?

Looked through the sat nav manual (nothing more than a leaflet actually) but could not find anything volume related.

With the heated rear screen - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but the light in the switch always illuminates. When it does work I get a narrow band of demist in the middle of the screen (about 15cm in diameter) - I take it this is not right and assume this is a new rear screen job? (as well as tracing a possible electrical fault back to the switch).

Boot open button (drivers door aperture) sometimes works sometimes doesnt. I have also noticed that when opening the car there is a whirring electric motor noise from the rear of the car, any ideas - fuel pump? Boot lock?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, ideas,

Laffer

Hi. I think the whirring noise is the boot lock. Mine does it too. However, my boot works all the time from the door pillar button and remote fob.

My heated rear screen only clears a bit of the window, but all the time. I have the really fine elements in the window that you have to look hard to see. I think a new rear window is in order. Under insurance, if I can break it. (£60 for replacement glass)

[ QUOTE ]

The womans voice is well too soft at the moment - is there a way to adjust the volume?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about the A8, but on my A4 all you do is alter the stereo-volume _whilst she is talking_.

Normally the volume will alter the music, but if you move it whilst you are getting a Nav Direction, moving it will change the volume of the voice and not the music. As soon as she has finished speaking, it controls the music volume again.

Russ.

Russ is right on the satnav, at least that's how it works on the plus.

The (soft) 'whirring' noise will be the vacuum pump, that's normal.

If you get a new rear screen, check your primary equipment codes. You don't want some monkey to replace it to find there's no reception anymore on the radio. Some have antennas in there...

If the heater wires are on the glass there *might* be some people who can repair it.

Thanks for the replies:

SatNav - had a chance to play. Does not adjust through the stereo. Get the womans voice on by repeatedly pressing info then when she speaks press cursor right on the round disk thingy, that does the trick (why it's not documented I don't know).

Rear glass - mines the embedded sort you can't see the elements unless your about 5cm away. Don't beleive it's one with an antenna in it as I have two on my S8, one radio and one phone I assume. Dunno whther to sling it back at the dealer and say "replace it" or try for an insurance replacement. I'm leaning towards dealer at the moment.

Whirring noise - glad to be re-assured. Thought it was something 'not working correctly'.

Laffer.

[ QUOTE ]

Boot open button (drivers door aperture) sometimes works sometimes doesnt. I have also noticed that when opening the car there is a whirring electric motor noise from the rear of the car, any ideas - fuel pump? Boot lock?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, ideas,

[/ QUOTE ]

Laffer,

If the boot doesn't open on ALL occasions when you press the remote release (in-car or key fob) it could be a split vacumn pipe. A way to tell is if the whirr becomes more of a hiss over time.

The pipe split on mine (no idea how) and was simply and inexpensively replaced during a routine service.

regards

huss