Internal Hard Drive Help

N3WOB

Ok, so I've had a problem getting this too work. The hard drive is loaded with windows 2000. When its connected the two cd drives work, but once they have been recognised by the bios, nothing else happens. The machine just sits there. Any ideas Mac ?

Should be fine. Does the motherboard recognise the hard drive when it is the only drive connected?

Have you got the latest BIOS from Chaintech for your board?

Have you checked the MASTER/SLAVE/CABLE SELECT jumpers AND the cable? Check the cable is not a CABLE SELECT one (with a hole to recognise the master/slave drives!!)

Last but not least, is the hard drive in good working order? As in, in another machine is works fine?

Hope this helps! smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Should be fine. Does the motherboard recognise the hard drive when it is the only drive connected?

[/ QUOTE ] No [ QUOTE ]

Have you got the latest BIOS from Chaintech for your board?

[/ QUOTE ] checking that cheers 169144-ok.gif [ QUOTE ]

Have you checked the MASTER/SLAVE/CABLE SELECT jumpers AND the cable? Check the cable is not a CABLE SELECT one (with a hole to recognise the master/slave drives!!)

[/ QUOTE ] done that [ QUOTE ]

Last but not least, is the hard drive in good working order? As in, in another machine is works fine?

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah works fine in another machine

Hope this helps! smile.gif

Think the problem will probably be the machine being 6 years old ! crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, so I've had a problem getting this too work. The hard drive is loaded with windows 2000. When its connected the two cd drives work, but once they have been recognised by the bios, nothing else happens. The machine just sits there. Any ideas Mac ?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm reading this correctly, when you have the hard disk connected, the PC doesn't get past the power on self test?

What do you have in the BIOS setup for this drive? Is it set to autodetect? Have you tried it on the IDE port that the CD drives are normally on? Could be a faulty IDE port on the MB - I had a MB with a broken FDD port once.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah tried it all and everything else seems to work, and the drive works in another machine, so I'm just gonna assume its down to some compatibility problem crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

May be down to how the drive is formatted - whether is is LBA or the old CHS standard. I know some compaq BIOS for example only handles the LBA type. Reformatting under that bios should clear up the probs, if this is the cause.