kids in a 3 door

Luke

Might be getting into this baby lark thing soon and what with having a 3 door '32 I'm wondering how I'll get on with the baby in the back and hassles of not having a 5 door. Anybody here run a 3 door with kids? How much a pain in the ars3 is it?

Luke beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Might be getting into this baby lark thing soon and what with having a 3 door '32 I'm wondering how I'll get on with the baby in the back and hassles of not having a 5 door. Anybody here run a 3 door with kids? How much a pain in the ars3 is it?

Luke beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Dont have a 3 door R32 or have any kids but used to own a S3 which only had 3 doors, it was always a pain getting people into the back and out again..... hence having a 5 door this time around was more better, no more messing with the front seats etc.

Riz beerchug.gif

had 3dr & 5dr cars when the kids were small.

plus point with 3 was security....they couldn't open doors

& windows.

minus point was lack of ventilation [mk3 gti] leading to

travel sicknes...bloody nightmare !

5dr in more prac.......but lacks street cred ?

now I'm old and bald, I don't care grin.gif

so a 5dr R32 is the dogs 169144-ok.gif

We too had both 3 and 5-door cars when the kids were young.

An advantage of 3 door is that you can crouch down and rest on the back of the front seat to deal with the kids face on, and there's actually plenty of room. Try that in a 5-door!

It can be fiddly getting the seatbelt around the child seat, but if you've got ISOFIX, that would be less of a problem, I guess.

When the kids are a bit older, a 5-door is better 'cos they can get themselves in and out without you having to wait in the pouring rain with the door open!

I've now got an 8 week old son, no R32 anymore and a Subaru Impreza!

The buggies that are about now are so big that a 3 or 5 door Golf was just too small!

The final straw was going to visit my Mum and Dad with my son. The pram chasis took up the whole, and i really do mean the whole of the boot. The pram top thingy took up 90% of the back seat. Sam (after paying £50 to have the airbag disconnected) with his travel baby seat took care of the front seat. All i can say is it's a good job the misses wasn't coming with us anyway!!

The pram is one of those momma's and poppa's travel system thingies by the way!

Now, the whole pram and chasis goes in the boot, leaving room for some other stuff too and Sam has an ISOFIX prepared back seat(standard in all new Scoobs - check the price of that out in the VAG motors!!) leaving the rest of the car free!!

And Dad gets to hoon round in a UK Spec Sti (soon to be PPP'd) when i've not got junior in with me - but that's another story altogether!!

Anyway, must dash, need to organise a second mortgage for the fuel bills.......... FIREdevil.gif

Well I've got a 6yr old & a 4yr, and apart from the little buggers moaning that I won't put on their fave CD or them breaking the rear drinks holder all the time, it's all good.

They often request I press the loud peddle more too, especially in the twisties!! laugh.gif

Kids are great aren't they!!

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

after paying £50 to have the airbag disconnected

ISOFIX prepared back seat(standard in all new Scoobs - check the price of that out in the VAG motors!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the R32 not have an airbag switch in the glovebox then?

The S3 does (and it also has ISOFIX as standard)

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

after paying £50 to have the airbag disconnected

ISOFIX prepared back seat(standard in all new Scoobs - check the price of that out in the VAG motors!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the R32 not have an airbag switch in the glovebox then?

The S3 does (and it also has ISOFIX as standard)

Dunc

[/ QUOTE ] Nope the R32 doesnt have the glovebox airbag switch.. it has to be done by vag-com i think.

And not sure about ISOFIX.

Riz smirk.gif

Three doors and a newborn is not a lot of fun!

Sore back from trying to get the baby seat in and out of the back , boot absolutely stuffed with baby gear leaving no space for anything else. The childseat is supposed to be rearward facing for the first nine months i think and this means that in a golf/a3 sized car the seat in front cannot be put further back than about half way.

We had two three door cars before the baby was born (S3 and a C Class Sport Coupe) and now have a 4 door (S4) and an estate (Passat) and for family days almost always take the estate which deals better with the situation.

Good luck 169144-ok.gif