How long should front brakes last?

Chris_B

I know, it's all to do with how you drive! But would 8000 miles seem a bit on the low side to you? I had new discs and pads at 34,000 miles, now apparently at 42,000 I need new front pads as they've cracked and are starting to crumble (overheating, no doubt).

Should I be pressing for warranty, or should I just accept it? Bear in mind, I may only have the car another three or four weeks, and the pads aren't cheap!

Cracked/crumbling pads can be caused by excess heat. Remember, power has little to do with it, a car full of people stopping from motorway speeds can create a lot of heat, regardless of hwo long it took to get up to that speed!

Another "gotcha" is hot-spotting caused by sitting on the brakes when the discs are hot, but that's far more common on automatic cars.

Glad that's sorted. But it is rather quick. No doubt there will be many different compounds. I'd be very interested to know the difference between pad specs for f.i. RS6, S8 and the armoured S8 (same setup as S8, but different pads and rear discs - but the same size).

Maybe a question to pester your dealer with, since he's so helpful? wink.gif

I've heard that a re-bedding could help as well, to keep your pads healthy and free from glazing and such.

interesting question.

I recently replaced my Porker ones after some 21K and TBH they were well fecked.

incidently whilst they were all worn heavily, one side was maginly worse than other...

so i assume this would be the effects of ESP, braking opposite wheels to assist you to go round corners etc.

I find the whole brake pad thing rather interesting. I'm looking (w/o much success) for PBR/Axxis Ultimate Ceramic for the S8. So far I have found Ferodo DS2500 and the NEW Ceramic Redstuff for the S8. (So these are not the old metallic ones - see test reports on their site).

But here is where it gets interesting. EBC complies to R90 regulations. DS2500 don't, whilst other Ferodo pads do (stictly street stuff).

Now it was brought to my attention that, besides some other stuff, the R-90 regulation means they have to be within 15% of OE pads. Including friction levels.... (which aren't listed by EBC)

If so, that would kinda defeat the purpose of upgrade pads. (yeah dust maybe, but that's not my main interest). Anyone know more about this?

I'd love to see some good - independant - tests and comparisons, like they have for tyres...

Must admit, I'm not that impressed in the the durability of Audi standard parts. I was suprised when my old cab needed new front pads after 18.5k miles. I'm comparing this to the BMWs I've run previously. 30k miles plus was normal for pads in those, and Mrs Richy's E46 saloon used to last over 40k miles. Added to this stories of bad burning smells from clutches after some enthusiastic off the line starts, which I also experienced, and it doesn't look good. the clutch in my old cab was never the same after I did a full bore off the line start once - it seemed to have a 'dead spot' as you let the clutch out.

The comparison with Beemers is quite valid as a couple were company cars, which quite frankly, I drove like a errr....BMW driver. Even considering this, the brake components still lasted longer.

I drove the cab no where near as BMW like, but the pads still seemed to disintegrate after no time. And before any one comments, I really don't think it's down to the extra weight of the cab. I just think the parts are not particularly durable. Anyone else got a comparison like this ?

Well, if we just single out the brake pads, that's not neccesarily a bad thing. The higher the friction level, the harder the wear (generally). If you'd get performance pads or track pads, they'd be gone even quicker (considerably).

So that's always a choice/compromise. Personally I'd rather have more friction and less longevity. And apart from that it obviously depends largely on your driving style as well.

I'm guessing Audi selected a different compound as BMW.