Wife's new car

russellfray

Nice looking motor and good colour combos. Has it got satnav as I remember you saying that she had a higher priced (base) car so forfeited the goodies, but it looks like the shark fin aeriel for nav reception, or does the new I Drive need the shark fin for something else? confused.gif

No satnav on the Beemer... the shark fin aerial is a general aerial for "everything" (satnav, radio, telephone etc). So having just the radio, it's still needed smile.gif

A few people have mentioned me not editing out the number plate on the photos. What's the idea behind doing that, ie why bother? The worst people can probably do is go to the Tesco insurance website and work out that it's a black BMW?!

Russ.

Most of the options aren't visible... such as the £1000 stereo upgrade...! And I'm currently shopping for an RGB input module to plug in to the iDrive which will let me display dvd/pc on the screen at the front. Plus, two 6.5" tft headrest screens are winging their way to me by FedEx as I speak (well four actually, two for the BMW and two for the Audi smile.gif

If gadgets didn't exist, I would be a very rich man, but gadgetless, and no gadgets to spend my money on...

[ QUOTE ]

Don't get what you mean sorry confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic decision. Quite easily spec a 320d up with all the toys - leather, Sat Nav, Harman with 6CD..... to the same price new as stock 330d. I'd take the 330d everytime myself! Scared to ask how much the bill for the new A4 plus options is Russell, would make my eyes water! Hope most of the installs are removable come resale as mega high spec cars do not hold their value amazingly compared with the initial outlay. My point: the S4 surely must only be a few quid more?

Ian C

Ah ok. I'm not really bothered about a bit extra 0-60 to be honest. I get much more out of having a nice interior! Sure, i don't want it to be ugly on the outside or _really_ slow, but if I have the choice of spending money on satnav/leather/auto/(etc etc see signature), or a basic radio with cloth seats and manual but a much bigger engine, I will go for the toys every time.

Last car was a Jag which was pretty fast but not mind blowing (0-60 about 8 secs). Audi is 0-60 about 10 secs. I couldn't care less that it was 2 seconds slower, and don't want to spend an extra £10k on the car when the ONLY difference is that it's a bit faster, slightly better handling to go fast round corners etc. With the speed limits, laws and speed cameras in this country, getting a "fast car" is rather pointless even if you are in to them. The fact that I had such a lovely interior means I don't want to go fast - I'm at that stage in life where I am quite happy to tootle along slowly enjoying the scenary without throwing my kids against the door panels.

I would NEVER buy an A4 3.0 or an S4 or an RS6 etc. I just can't see the logic when the car is the same apart from the engine and suspension (and a few other small tweaks that don't really "do anything") If I'm going to get a fast car, it will only be because that's the only option - ie I would love a Lamborghini or Ferrari for the looks and street cred, not because of the speed, because you could never use it in the UK.

Anyway, like people say, each to their own smile.gif

And most of the options aren't removable, but I didn't buy the car with risiduals in mind, and don't really mind how much I lose when I come to sell it!

What do you get in an S4 as standard these days?

Must have leather and zenons surely?

I would go the S4/330 route, but would still want the toys confused.gif

Saying that, seeing the inside of Russells car the other day made me want a new one, but seeing new S4's RS6's etc do not.

The options list on our allroad was huge (we ticked 16 of them, which came to 33% of the final bill (50% of the list price of the car) blush.gif

I think that if you can afford an RS4/RS6 you are laughing, as so much is thrown in that you get good value for money (and resale), but if not you either have a sparse car or pay through the nose for the toys.

I wouldn't want the RS4 due to the fuel economy and higher insurance either... One of the reasons I picked the 1.9TDi was for the promised 50mpg, although at the moment I'm only seeing about 37-38 and am getting close to 1000 miles.

Anybody know how many miles the car needs before the mpg will "settle down to what it will stay at for ages" ? If it doesn't get above 40 I'll be pretty p!ssed off.

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't want the RS4 due to the fuel economy and higher insurance either...

[/ QUOTE ]

Insurance on an RS4 is not as bad as you think. I pay £550 a year on mine, which is what I was paying on my S3 when I had that. Fuel consumption averages around 22, so it's bad, but not obscene wink.gif

As for it being pointless having a fast car in the UK, well that's what tracks are for. Enjoy your polishing wink.gifwink.gifFIREdevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]

As for it being pointless having a fast car in the UK, well that's what tracks are for. Enjoy your polishing wink.gifwink.gifFIREdevil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Never really been in to track days... would hire something like a Ferrari for the day rather than use my own everyday car if I were to do that!

My car is silver, never to be polished wink.gif Wife's car is black... and I've bought her some polish !!

[ QUOTE ]

Never really been in to track days... would hire something like a Ferrari for the day rather than use my own everyday car if I were to do that!

[/ QUOTE ]

What a good idea? Got a funny feeling you'd struggle finding a hire co. willing to hire a Ferrari out for a track day. And if you did I'd be keen to see your credit card bill if you managed to wreck it.

NONO3.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

And if you did I'd be keen to see your credit card bill if you managed to wreck it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're right... still like I said, I'm not really in to track days, I used to ride motorbikes for "speed kicks" but have got over that now and am enjoying my nice little slow diesel with all my creature comforts smile.gif

I might take it to a track one day, but I'd sit in the slow lane listening to the stereo and fiddling with the satnav... "in 300 yards, turn right. Then, turn right. In 300 yards at the right hand corner, turn right. Then, turn right. Now, turn right... etc."