Driving and talking

JamesB

Perhaps I'm in danger of slipping into a bit of a rant here but am I alone in being surprised at the number of people who seem unable to talk in a car and look at the road at the same time?

I was on my way down the M40 going home from work this evening and the 4x4 in front was veering from outside to middle lane in a rather alarming manner. Having got past the accused, and now being able to look through the non-tinted front windows, I could see that the reason for this random wandering was the fact that the driver was having a rare old gas with their passenger. I reckon they were looking at the road considerably less than 25% of the time.

Now, I'm quite sure the conversation was of sufficient importance to risk a high speed pile-up but, even so, why do people feel the need to look at their passengers? I see this all the time and the only possible justification I can think of would be if the passenger seat was occupied by a naked Kylie Minogue (or such like).

(although it's possibly better than the (seriously) old boy I saw doing 85 on the M4 last week whilst concentrating on filling his pipe with both hands - if you're going to go...)

Iam and some of my mates are more dangerous at slow speeds than faster speeds. Letching always requires slowing down!

On the subject of looking at your passenger! Isn't it considered rude to not look at the person your talking to. Of course driving is different but how so. What about changing the CD or radio Station. Waving to a mate etc. Having a fag.. Dropping that can more dangerous than just dropping a phone or CD.

Don't get me wrong - it's pretty much impossible to keep your eyes on the road all the time and it's hard not to glance at someone for a reaction during a conversation.

I just have a problem when you see people not taking their eyes of their passengers at all when they speak. OK, it's not a serious problem but I was a little alarmed by yesterday evening's behaviour - over 2 tonnes of metal at around 70 mph largely being ignored shocked.gif

I totally agree, the ability to hold a conversation and drive seems to be lacking in the majority. The need to gesture with arms too always makes my blood boil.

As a passenger in a car with someone looking at me while driving I would have to tell them to keep their eyes on the road.

As for being rude not to look at someone whilst talking to them, I would consider it more rude to put my life at risk.

I think the logical progression of this arguement is to make all cars single seaters and reducing driving age to say 6months old so kiddies can get themselves about - if we had no distractions in cars it would be far safer and young children are very distracting as are other adults, only solution is to ban them.....grin.gif