Been offered the AutoGlym work as part of PDI

AZURES3

I had it done too. Aftercare pack is huge, about 18 bottles of stuff, cloths, chamois, the works: the service agent and I opened it and just stood and looked at it for a few minutes, in silent admiration. It made the bag of cosmetic goodies my wife got from the Sanctuary pale into insignificance.

Sounds good to me - better then the Supaguard pack I got! I went for the Supaguard protection inside and outside - cost me £150 (discount from the over-generous dealer - usually £250). I got an after care pack in a nice bag consisting of shampoo, polish, chamois, sponger, alloy cleaner, alloy protector and trim finish. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It costs £390 including VAT and includes interior protection with 10 year guarantee and what the dealer calls a fantastic after care pack

[/ QUOTE ]

I got offered this when I bought my Cab, ironic really there is more profit in this than the margin in the car. Say no, trundled off to Halfords and buy AutoGlym's Super Resin Polish and The Extra Gloss Protection (the gold label one) for less than £30 and DIY. The interior protection will be scotchgard - and you can but that on the web for about £8 for a big aerosol...

If however you think that your car will be somehow less clean if you don't have this done....well it won't.

Good scam don't you think - the dealers know that we want 'the best for our beloved new toys' and exploit the emotion? blush.gif

There are hidded advantages of the DIY approach - you will do the W H O L E car, to the edges of every panel, and you will know it is absolutely right and you will also inspect each panel very, very carefully and note any paint defects etc.

Sorry to be a kill-joy, i just hate to see people being taken advantage off - and the fancy polish scam goes back years. FIREdevil.gif

Unless your time is worth more than £200 for 2-3 hrs (I got a discount as part of the trade-in deal). I work (doing something interesting) so that I can pay other people to do tedious stuff like this, sorry. On this basis I'm almost tempted to take it back and pay the same so they can do the six-month renewal for me. Your Mileage May Vary.

Depends if "hit me" means "take my money" or "make me do manual chores I don't feel like doing". For me it's the latter: I don't care about the former (well, up to a point obviously). People pay me to do other stuff which I like doing, and I pay people to do things I don't like doing. Which is why there are 3 Polish guys on ladders outside my house: I could paint it myself, but I'd rather do a shift in a hospital, pay them, and keep the change.

[ QUOTE ]

trundled off to Halfords and buy AutoGlym's Super Resin Polish and The Extra Gloss Protection (the gold label one) for less than £30 and DIY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha, but it's not the same stuff, the Lifeshine stuff is (apparently) much tougher and longer lasting...

used the autogkum super resin polish and the extra gloss finish on my old silver A4. looked good - but the supaguard protection and several applications of the supaguard paint seal cream (polish!) make the current akoya motor look even better. question - would you use the autoglym extra gloss protection on top as well? it cleans really easy at the moment without....

Now you know about it, negotiate it into the purchase of your next car. £390 is a lot! I have had various of these protections done to my last 3 cars but and I spent a lot less time cleaning them. However I negotiated them for free (or nearly free) as the final carrot on the sale of the car. By comparison my wife's last car was a company car and did not get the treatment. I Autoglym'ed it but for whatever reason it was not the same. Maybe it was because it was a darker colour it shoed the dirt more but even so everything was harder to shift. Outsode our house is a nightmare of bird mess, moss, algae all of which just wipe off the treated cars but required a lot more work on my wife's.

IMO it is a waste of money, you would be far better off investing in good quality wax and doing the job yourself. My father just bought a 5 series and an X5 and managed to negotiate it down to £200 per car even though I said that it wasn't worth it and within 30 seconds of looking at the 5 series it was apparent that every minor imperfection had been sealed in inc the swirl marks. The car has been back twice to be polished and the seal re-applied at their cost + it does not seem to stop staining as he still has issues with rain marks. Personally I wash my cars at least once a week and I have found that my car which is just over a year old has fewer swirls and brighter paintwork than his from using Zymol products. I am not going to have the cab done especially as I have found out that the kits cost around £30 - £50 to buy.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

There are hidded advantages of the DIY approach - you will do the W H O L E car, to the edges of every panel, and you will know it is absolutely right and you will also inspect each panel very, very carefully and note any paint defects etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear! Hear! I paid (IMHO) a lot of hard earned money for my car and to have some monkey 'valet' my car with cloths and Chamois that are well past ther sell by date just was not gonna happen.I asked the dealer to dewax the car only.So it was out with the ZYMOL and FIVE hours later a flawless swirl mark free very very shiny Avus S-Line. of course I could have paid some one to do it but as far as i'm concerned its all part of the ownership experence! znaika.gif