Mk 4 Polo clutches

Kevster

My Polo is currently in a VW garage after the clutch mechanism broke for the 2nd time! SAUER0421.GIF Its only done 63,000 miles, (the first time it went was after 45,000miles!) I cant believe its broken again. I've had nothing else mechanical go wrong on this car, but the gearbox and clutch have always been the most problematic (and expensive to fix!)

Anyone else had the same problems? Apparently Polo clutches are a shoddy design that fail quite commonly, but VW refuse to admit to it.

Yep my GTI which is a slightly revised version of yours I believe, is also sh1t. Currently being inspected after some recall work has not fixed the problm. Smudge can clarify that it isn't my bad driving either !!!!

Very weaky point IMO are the clutches. I'd be interested to know if the LUPO clutch is the same or has similar problems ???

Well i got my pride and joy back from Cooks VW in P'boro last night. They've replaced the bracket for the clutch pedal (cost £226).

unfortunately the story doesn't end there....

the clutch plate is worn and so is slipping (but they haven't fixed it or anything) and so the biting point is now so high and occasionally slips (which makes pulling off from a stand-still considerably slower) their estimated cost to fix that: £398

they've also noticed that there is a knocking coming from the steering. i'd also noticed the car occasionally pulling to one side as well, but thought it might just be uneven tyre wear or the tracking. nope, i need a new steering column head apparently, which will set me back £289.

so after spending £226, i've got my car back but the clutch still feels weird (and i'm fearful everytime i put my foot on it now!) and the car steering is a bit off occasionally.

total cost of sorting my car out, and getting it to handle and drive like anyone would expect it to?

£913

i think i'm going to cry. SAUER0421.GIF

post-5534-137914282959_thumb.jpg