K&N Tyhoon Ram Air Intake

Sobby4

I've always like K&N, which is why I've got a panel filter in there just now! 17hp seems quite a lot for an induction kit. I didn't think you'd get much more than 8-10hp from one, I guess it must be cos they replace the whole pipe to the TB which improves air intake speed and how smooth the air enters the engine!

Price wise its not cheap but maybe an alternative to spending £500 on APR for a 20hp gain!! Combine with the new BF exhaust this could be another option for me, Hmmmm.... ?

[ QUOTE ]

I've never liked the idea of sucking hot air from the engine bay directly into the engine..... NONO3.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why you can have a) a heat sheild, or b) the Cold Air Typhoon (takes air from the front of car and includes a water proof cover for the filter, or c) a combined set-up which allows you to switch between Short Ram (as per above pics) and the long Cold Air intake set-up!

A looks well thought out to me! I admit warm air from the engine bay is not good, but K&N state thats why the have developed this set-up as it ensures colder air entering the engine smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Which is why you can have a) a heat sheild, or b) the Cold Air Typhoon (takes air from the front of car and includes a water proof cover for the filter, or c) a combined set-up which allows you to switch between Short Ram (as per above pics) and the long Cold Air intake set-up!

A looks well thought out to me! I admit warm air from the engine bay is not good, but K&N state thats why the have developed this set-up as it ensures colder air entering the engine smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Call me sceptical, but i've never believed bhp/torque claims from intakes. You cannot dyno an intake on a rolling road with.. a) the hood open and b) a big fan blowing air into the air intake. It's hardly a realistic test..

I'm not sure how the 'heat shield' pictured above would prevent warm air entering the filter?? Why would VW bother with an air box, if they could just suck air in direct from the engine bay?

The setups I've seen on vortex which have the filter right down behind the front bumper seem a good idea, although I wouldnt want to drive through too many puddles with it fitted!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Call me sceptical, but i've never believed bhp/torque claims from intakes. You cannot dyno an intake on a rolling road with.. a) the hood open and b) a big fan blowing air into the air intake. It's hardly a realistic test..

I'm not sure how the 'heat shield' pictured above would prevent warm air entering the filter?? Why would VW bother with an air box, if they could just suck air in direct from the engine bay?

The setups I've seen on vortex which have the filter right down behind the front bumper seem a good idea, although I wouldnt want to drive through too many puddles with it fitted!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what the Cold Air intake is like. It puts the filter down the front bu the grill but it comes with a water-proof but breathable cover to ensure water doesn't get sucked in.

The conbination set-up allows you to switch to the Shotr Ram system when the weather get very cold.

I also take the figures with a pinch of salt, but with reagrds to the fan, its supposed to simulate rushing air when driving. Remember when blatting along at 70mph theres a fair rush of cold air, which you don't get sitting still on the rollers, so they have to create some wind to replicate real life.

If they're claiming 17bhp increase I'd knock it down to near 10-12bhp as a likely gain.... or 4-5% !!

Check out.......

http://www.knfilters.com/typhoon/tthesystem.html

and you see how they addressed the issues or warm air and water smile.gif

Good find......... not that I'm on comission from K&N , but they seem to be covering all the good points from that article which are:

General things to look for

- An intake system that draws in cold air from outside the engine compartment.

- Mandrel bent pipe that will not restrict air flow.

- Cotton gauze air filter element.

- Splash guards to keep water off the filter element.

The Cold Air Intake system from K&N has a very long pipe, its manderal bent and improves air flow into the TB. It also has the cover to stop water from going up into the filter / pipe, plus its positioned just behind the grill, thereby getting its air from outside the egine bay.... they found 9-13bhp increase when testing this type of sysyem which is pretty much what I suspected the K&N system will give, rather then the claimed 17bhp!!

I totally agree with your point, and I've always avoided induction kits that you see every MaxP head buying and slapping in his nova. But the K&N system seems to cover the bases of a good Cold Air intake system design and warrants closer inspection to see if its is up to the task smile.gif

I've always been an advocate of improving the breathing of a car to get better performance, Gas Flow / Ported haeds on minis does wonders for the wee blighters, and so I'm inclined to look at this as an alternative to going for the APR tuning.... or as an compliment to APR FIREdevil.gif

Aye, thats right! Only SR for the R32, but I'm sure a CA or CCA will be along in the near future!

What makes me wonder is people like K&N presumably know all about Air Flow, Filters, Inductions, issues with warm air etc entering the car and wouldn't design, build and market a system which presumably costs quite a bit to make based on the price. If it was crap and us R32 owners wouldn't buy it cos it would exhibt the very same 'warm air'induction issues that we know of! It doesn't make sense for someone like K&N to do that!

I can see this being done for Novas, Saxos, etc but surely for an R32 it wouldn't be advisable because for a car of this type the owners are not likely to go all Max Power and buy it for the sake of it!

I'm prepared to give it a go if the Combined system is released - bring it on K&N !!! 169144-ok.gif

Ok, thick bloke moment, but I might just answer my own question. BMB mentions the "convertable" system. I admit I haven't filly read the K&N review, I just looked at the pretty pictures. tongue.gif But anyway, to my question. The Convertable system, is it that K&N haven't fully developed a cold intake for the R so they have brought out the stadard unit, that can then be converted when they do release the cold version?

Making sense I'm hoping!

ROLLEY~14.GIF

That would be nice, but I suspect you have to buy the whole set-up. So if you buy a Short Ram set-up and then they release a Combined set-up, you'll have to buy the whole lot!

I doubt they sell you the 'other' bit that makes up the Cold Air part of the CCA set-up so you can add it to what you've already got. Pity really....

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

I take it no one has tried one of these yet then? beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ive got the carbonio cold air intake which is made of carbon fibre, beautiful piece of kit. The filter is hidden deep down in front of the passenger side wheel well. Air is zoomed in via the huge carbon fibre intake pipe. All in all its brilliant, the noise is superb at higher revs though its not so boomy at the lower range.

Im thinking of getting one of these, either the carbono or the typhoon. Im worried, A it might feck the car up due to sucking heat from the engine bay, and B that it will need alot of maintanance, for example cleaning and oiling. I would also be worried about fitting, im not sure if im prepared to pay AmD £60 to fit it, and im woried about fecking it up myslef.

[ QUOTE ]

Im thinking of getting one of these, either the carbono or the typhoon. Im worried, A it might feck the car up due to sucking heat from the engine bay, and B that it will need alot of maintanance, for example cleaning and oiling. I would also be worried about fitting, im not sure if im prepared to pay AmD £60 to fit it, and im woried about fecking it up myslef.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know the Carbonio uses a Long Ram type and doesn't suck air from the engine bay. The Typhoon only has Short Ram for the R32 (at present) and so it comes with a heat shield for the engine bay.

The K&N one is supposed to be good but I'm not 100% convinced as the test were done with a fan blowing cold air at the engine with the bonnet (hood) open - not normal driving conditions and you get warmer air when driving as the bonnet would be closed.

Also, K&N Typhoon is made of METAL, which conducts heat so any cool air would warm up as it travelled up the cold pipe, cos the metal pipe would be subject to heat transfer from within the engine bay.

I'm inclined to go for the AEM or Carbonio as they are made of heat resistant materals such as the stock air box.

I've been watching the CAIs on the market for a wee while as well (see previous posts) and up to now only b0b seems to have some conclusive proof of actual power increases from a CAI and he's running the Carbonio (on offence 50p, I know you've got one but not seem any graphs so haven't included you!!)

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

(no offence 50p, I know you've got one but not seem any graphs so haven't included you!!)

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well spotted Mr Holmes, indeed i dont have any performance graphs as living on a small island we dont have a rolling road!!

if you want any additional info on the carbonio check the site out CarbonioIntakes

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't even have a motorway 169144-ok.gif but you do have some narrow, twisty roads with 25mph speed limits....... I'm sorry 50p, but as my WHOLE family are from Guernesy I'm feeling at liberty for a wee bit of poking fun. I know its a great wee island but I'm curious as to where you go to give it some wellie ?!?!?!

Def going to check out the Carbonio set-up tho as you and b0b rate it as a good piece of kit

smile.gif