Audi Navigation Plus - TV lock removal - look!

Ok I've finally got my Audi stereo removal keys, and have pulled the SatNav out of my car to have a look. The connectors are different to the old CD based Nav unit which means I can't follow the instructions to remove the TV lock (gala) signal to my head-unit.

Here is a photo of the back of the headunit, and a handy label on the top which shows descriptions on all of the connectors.

So - does anybody have any idea what these descriptions mean, and, more importantly, does anybody know if any of these relate to the speed signal wire that I can snip in order to view TV whilst in motion?

Thanks...

Russ.

post-5034-137914282914_thumb.jpg

How's your German? See Naviforum They probably know. Maybe they will even reply in English if you ask politely....

I don't have any info on the DVD navi, but if I were to *guess* the #3 V-signal looks most interesting. (coincidentally the same # as the previous IIRC - see www.tvwiz.net).

Disclaimer: Don't go cutting wires on my guess. It is just that, a guess.

ARGH if I translate what I wrote back from german to english this is what it says... somehow I get the feeling I'm not going to be getting any useful answers...

Hello of everyone, Forgive my bad German - I speak only English and a translator for this announcement used. If you speak English, a copy of this post in English is indicated at the lower surface! I received a straight new AUDI A4 with DVD to created Nav+ and the television set Tunerwahl. Can someone, I unlock the television set tuner can, so that it indicates an illustration, if the car moves? In the instant as, if the autobeginnings, to the illustration to shift for security one cuts out, concluded. I would like that my passengers are in that, to watch out it. I attached a photograph of the back of the unit and also the pin plan, which I took today, after I had removed the unit from my car. http://213.2.182.237/icc/NavPlus-images.jpg If everyone could help, I would be very very grateful! Thanks, soot.

depending on the plug is it possible to ease out the pin from plug temporarily and test?

most pins/sockets are only retained by tiny barbs.

really depends on the size of the plug.

also wonder what the mercury is used in it for?

" Contains Mercury do not put in trash, Recycle or dispose as hazardous waste"

It's not the V-Signal... I managed to unplug the entire B-Connection, all that stopped working was the CD-Changer (that explains all the "cdc" references on the pinouts!). The TV function was still deactivated at speed with this plug pulled out.

I've read elsewhere, and have come to the conclusion myself, that the pulse signal comes from the ABS module on the car, and is fed to the headunit by way of the CanBus signal. As I can't pull the CanBus signal completely, I need to locate the ABS module and fit a switch to the CanBus pulse.

This leads me on to this NEW THREAD .

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far, keep them coming!

[ QUOTE ]

A series connector is commonly available in Germany to activate the TV on the move function.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was one that charged like €40,- for the CDR Navi+, but that site has disappeared. The Germans on that forum still seemed to think it's a waste of money, since it's "so easy" to do yourself.

So far they aren't very helpful on Russ' question though.

Anyway, do a Google on "TV-freischaltung Audi" and you'll see heaps. Usually "tuners" asking ridiculous prices though. eBay is another possibility (same search words). I wouldn't pay more than at most a few tenners though.

PS: since the UK insurance Co's apparently want to know every little mod, you may want to check if you will be covered. Just in case.

Thanks...

It's all useful stuff but as I don't speak a word of German I can't unfortunately make sense of any of the information I uncover - even with Babelfish, it just gives me garble...!

I know there are plenty of gadgets and things for the old CD based tuner, as all you do is unplug the gala wire, but I can't find anything on the new DVD based unit.

From what I can tell from the eBay and google results, it's all for the CD based unit, but I can't be sure frown.gif

The post on the Forum hasn't had a single reply either which is a shame.

If anybody here is a German speaker, I would be extremely grateful if you could perhaps post a short question on a German Nav forum simply asking "Can you activate the TV module on the new DVD based SatNav+ unit"... or do a search on the internet for a gadget or process that will allow the unlocking?

I'm restricted to looking in English and haven't found anything. The only reason I got the TV tuner option was so there was a screen for the front passenger whilst driving as I will be rigging it up to a dvd/vcr player along with some headrest screens (as on long journies, we normally put one child in the front, then the other two children in the back with one of the adults to avoid fights!).

At the moment I'm feeling that I've wasted £700 - what point is a tuner that you can only watch when you aren't moving (ok to be fair, if I do a lot of motorway driving, especially M25 or M6, chances are it'll be on a fair bit!).

HELP smile.gif !!!

Grrrrr f%!king babelfish.

What the hell does "I read that brakes and ABS etc. also over CAN function kidneys. (those would not like I however with my Player the brakes at the car to steer." mean?!(German->English translation)

I've come to the conclusion that babelfish is a pile of sh!te... I'm off to see if I can download a "demo" (ahem) version of some decent commercial translation software.

Russ.

[ QUOTE ]

What the hell does "I read that brakes and ABS etc. also over CAN function kidneys. (those would not like I however with my Player the brakes at the car to steer." mean?!(German->English translation)

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's the original German? I guess that someone is warning against disconnecting the CAN connection at the ABS controller - he wouldn't like to drive his car when he's mucked around with the brakes.

A guess, "function kidneys" must have been "funktionieren" (function/work). "Niere" = kidney. yelrotflmao.gif

So just "function", give the kidneys to the cat.

The original text would help....

I had a brief look on Google as said, but nothing much useful. (just locals wanting like €220 to mod the TV - probably the previous version).

If I do find anything I'll let you know.

Kind request: please keep the # of threads on the same subject a bit limited. wink.gif