please help with fan that cools engine

tiffani

The fan in the front of the car that is supposed to cool the engine has been acting really weird. My battery died the other day, so I replaced it. Then I had a mechanic reset the computer settings (which I guess you have to do whenever you change the battery). But now the fan stays on (last night, it was on for at least 4 hours) after I shut off the car. And my battery got drained again. Can anyone tell me what's wrong or how I may fix it. Thanks.

it sounds like the fan control unit is faulty. id sugest when you turn off your car and the fans run longer than one min to pop the bonnet and tap the fan control unit, on a golf/beetle it is under the battery on the chasis rail. if it goes of after tapping it just replace it and problem fixed, if not id then disconect the sensor in the lower part of the radiator. if the fan still keeps running you have big problems, take it to get fixed by a pro..

good luck!! pengy.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. First, the mechanic thought the fan control unit was the problem, because it had gotten fried up on the underside, so we changed that. But the fan kept running and drained my battery...again. So then they figured it was actually the sensor that recognizes the temp of the engine and tells the fan to cool it. That had some corrosion so it was replaced, and now it seems to be working alright. The fan control unit was probably just burnt up from the fan constantly running. Anyway, problem fixed, thanks for the help.

[ QUOTE ]

Boss had the exact same problem with his Pug 405. Turned out to be a faulty sensor that tells the management system that the car is now 'cool'. Sensor didn't send the signal and so the fan just kept on going.

Get the electronics checked out by an auto-electrician 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ha........ t'was that afterall, see Pugs may be crap but if my boss didn't have one that was bu99ered I'd never have known about the problem and wouldn't have been able to help.

Glad to see its fixed and you're on yer way again smile.gif