DVD Based Nav+ ££ Reward for TV activation help!

If anybody can give me information that leads to me successfully disabling the "tv mute in motion" function on my DVD based SatNav+ headunit on my 2004 Audi A4, I will send them £50. If more than one person gives me the same info, the first person will get the cash. If multiple people give me different ideas, I will pay the money to the one who has been most helpful.

Feel free to post messages on other forums - the German ones are very good (but I don't speak German!).

I don't like to offer money - it's not a bribe - I understand that some people many have the information, or know how to get it, but are very busy and can't afford to take time off to look. So all I am offering is payment for your time and efforts!

Thanks smile.gif

Russ.

I think you're onto a bit of a hiding to nothing here Russ. I've got a horrid feeling that the CAN bus implementation is so much more complex than a simple GALA wire switch, and the market for it so limited, that nobody will have done the engineering work necessary yet.

I suspect that only way to forge the signal will be to have a device that sits on the CAN bus interface on the head unit and intercepts all data streams from the speed sensors and "adjusts" them to represent a zero speed. Even then, if the unit is smart enough to know from GPS data that you are moving, it might still blank the picture.

Here's a few links re CAN bus that you might want to start diving into;

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_CAN.html

http://www.can.bosch.com/

[ QUOTE ]

I think you're onto a bit of a hiding to nothing here Russ. I've got a horrid feeling that the CAN bus implementation is so much more complex than a simple GALA wire switch, and the market for it so limited, that nobody will have done the engineering work necessary yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to come to the same conclusion frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

I was looking in to the option of intercepting the CanBus signal - I've found a USB unit that will plug in to a laptop and let you read signals, but this is all getting a bit too much beyond my expertise.

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks... will do... and will send you payment receipt so you know I have done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't reply to the thread because of the financial incentive, BTW. I was going to reply to your other thread yeasterday but was too busy at work.

I trust you to send the money to the NSPCC, no proof required. If you post details of your solution here, I'll also Gift Aid £50 to the NSPCC, as I may well want a solution as well.

169144-ok.gif

Did you read the reply on audinav?

nothing new really just saying what we already new

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Guy....

It's not so easy on the new DVD units. As with the older units, it's

the speed signal that is used to mute the picture, but whereas on

the older Nav Plus that was on it's own wire that you could just

disconnect, on the newer ones it's one of the data signals that are

on CAN bus.

Under theory, you could disconnect the CAN lines (you'll have to do

both) and the picture won't mute, but you are going to hit some

other issues in the process. With the lines disconnected the display

in the cluster won't work, the illumination will not come on the Nav

when you turn on your headlights, the actual navigation may not work

or work accurately, and finally you may find the unit shuts off on

it's own every hour or so.

While that all sounds bad, if you could build a switch that

connected and disconnected the CAN signals so they're only

disconnected when you are wathcing TV, the only thing that would

probably be annoying is the unit going off every so often. This is

all theory by the way, I haven't tried it.

Later!

Dan

P.S.

Ignition sense, speed data, illumination and of course

communications to the cluster are all on CAN, which is why all this

happens.

[/ QUOTE ]