950 BHP on the road spotted just now !!!!

bazza_g

241876-P0910_143626.jpg

grin.gif Not actually sure what it was - but made one hell of a noise when it pulled into the Shell garage between Weybridge and Byfleet - the owner said the engine was '502' cu/in (v8 I assume) Standing 1/4 between 8 and 9 seconds !

450 BHP

plus

500 BHP NOS

= 950 BHP - of course the NOS was disabled for road use sekret.gif

241881-P0910_143643.jpg

blush.gif apologies for camera phone quality !

Isn't the BHP measured on NOS by the amount injected and for the length of time. A mate gets 50bhp extra on his Mini with a 5 second burst with a certain size jet into his engine. So 500 would just be a much longer burst, say quarter mile with larger jets

Or I could be completely wrong

[ QUOTE ]

500bhp NOS?? Sorry but that's bollocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif why ?

Below is a quote from the FAQ section of NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) website here

"Q: What type of nitrous system is better; a plate injection system or a direct port injection system?

A: The advantages of a plate system are ease of installation and removal, ability to transfer easily to another vehicle, ability to change jetting combinations quickly, and in most cases, provide you with all the extra HP you will ever need (75 to 350 more HP). In some cases, such as in-line type engines with long runners, a direct port type system is advisable for maximizing distribution. Also, where more than 350 HP is needed, our direct port Fogger systems will provide the ultimate in distribution and power (up to 500+ HP). Direct port injection is also desirable when the system is hidden under the manifold."

grin.gif you're going to have to do some serious work on the engine for it to take that kind of punishment but seeing as the car I'm talking about is a dragster I reckon its perfectly feasible 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

241876-P0910_143626.jpg

grin.gif Not actually sure what it was - but made one hell of a noise when it pulled into the Shell garage between Weybridge and Byfleet - the owner said the engine was '502' cu/in (v8 I assume) Standing 1/4 between 8 and 9 seconds !

450 BHP

plus

500 BHP NOS

= 950 BHP - of course the NOS was disabled for road use sekret.gif

241881-P0910_143643.jpg

blush.gif apologies for camera phone quality !

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like a 1955 Ford Pop(ular). These cars are often customized in many different styles. This one's been done in the Pro Street style, a hybrid drag/street car. Most likely engine in it?? Given his bhp quotes, it's probably a Chevroley Big Block, or a Ford V8....both of these engines are used extensively throughout the custom car world.

Very nice mota, very nice indeed.........certainly something different anyway 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

no real funny cars would not be able to run on the road,

also to get 500 bhp extra using nitrous would need some serious engine mods and i doubt it would be that usable on the street beerchug.gifECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif he said thats why the nitrous is disconnected when he uses it on the road - making do with 'just' the 450bhp under the bonnet 169144-ok.gif

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

500bhp NOS?? Sorry but that's bollocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I used to be "gas-man" for Tony Rose in the '90s. Before he called it a day, our car, a 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass-bodied (that's where the similarity ended) coupé running in the "Pro-Modified" class, was punting out ~1500bhp without any sniff and an extra ~1000bhp when chucking approximately ten pounds (weight!) of laughing gas at it every run.

The engine was an aluminium-alloy copy of the Chevrolet "Big Block" design but punted out to displace nearly 12 litres! It ran custom-machined forged pistons and rods, Brodix "oval-port" ally heads (Pontiac pattern) and a hand-fabricated aluminium tunnel-ram topped by a pair of split Holley 4500 Dominator carbs (they had to be sawn in half to fit!).

That car was good for the European record (briefly) at 6.97secs@202mph, IIRC.

So, it's true what they say; "There ain't no substitute for cubes!" laugh.gif

HTH, HAND, etc.

Rik.

That sounds excellent. I've seen a DVD of GHOSTRIDER, and (i know this is a car forum, but bare with me) they modded a Hayabusa with a Turbo, and it got 499 BHP at the rear wheel!! Shows em flooring it next to him on a runway, doing 140, and the hayabusa just roars past, pulling a wheelie!! excellent!

Youve got to love the drag racing street legal category grin.gif

To enter they all go out on a mini cruise, over ~25miles, during this time they have to fill up at a normal petrol station.

They need street legal tyres, a proper cooling system and run on optimax, rather than racing fuel.