[Audi A3/S3] Any BHP surging suggestions?!?!?

Bri

Hello there everyone!!

I've just Bought my 2001 S3 afew days ago and I was wanting to know if anyone has any advice on performance mods, i'm getting a superchip fitted shortly but what would anyone recommend me getting done to get that BHP pumping....!!!

FIREdevil.giffekr.gifFIREdevil.gif

Id recommend ...

Good Tyres

Good Fuel. S3's Thrive on Optimax. Higher the Octane the better. Optimax is 98 Ron, all the other super unleaded fuels are 97 ron

Good remap... see the reviews 169144-ok.gif

change the OEM paper air filter every 10K miles or so. they are actually very good and only about £8

enjoy. beerchug.gif

• 11 months later...

Don't agree with Superchips being rubbish. I've had mine installed on by 225bhp S3 for a week now (granted, only 1 week). It has transformed the car, smotther power delivery, none of that massive kick from low revs then fade higher up. It's like driving a non-turbo car - far smoother and quicker than b4. I can recomend it so far! Other re-maps give you low down power but fade after 4500 rpm, the Superchips does not - much nicer to drive.

I was hoping the price might come down for the rolling road in a group buy..? smirk.gif

If I loose the MTM re-map then suppose not really worth it..

since only prob gain an extra 10-15 bhp...

Ohh well....but prob worth me investing on some samco hoses & forge diverter valve....they must make a bit of impact on bhp figures and good for the car..? grin.gif

danidge i think thats a regional trial at the moment down south. cant say ive seen any round by me.

Hatchet Harry

Samcos might improve the airflows abit, mine seemed to make the car sound healthier at high revs with them.

DV is just serviceable, and more robust, neither dv or samco's will be a magical bhp source.

[ QUOTE ]

If I loose the MTM re-map then suppose not really worth it..

since only prob gain an extra 10-15 bhp...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hatchet_Harry - it's not just the peak power figure that matters, but the remap profile.

I've got the MTM 265 remap, and I had it RR'd recently (I'm going to post the dyno sheet). The interesting thing was the boost profile - MTM ramp the boost up very quickly but then it tails off, whereas the tuner was saying that Revo tend to have more of a plateau on the boost.

So, even though the power/torque is pretty much the same between the two, they will drive very differently.

I always noticed how the MTM had a strong pull as you first accelerated, but then you might as well change up.....

Steve - I agree totally! beerchug.gif

Must admit I like the MTM profile...its seem to be all about the torque and low end power boost...

Hence I never really need to take the car over 5000rpm..

Quick shifting...upto about 4000rpm...change.....let the boost kick back in...change at 4000rpm.....let the boost kick back in.....change at 4000rpm.....thats a great feeling!! grin.gif

Plenty of power without strangling the engine!! 169144-ok.gif

I change up around the 5000rpm mark - maybe 5500 - after that, acceleration seems to tail off, and changing up seems a better option.

I've just taken a look at my dyno chart (which I'll scan in at the weekend), and my peak power is produced at just under 6000rpm and peak torque at 4600rpm.

Yes - this will all depend on individual remaps. Some remaps claim higher power outputs, but that might be at the expense of driveability.

In everyday driving, it's in-gear acceleration (50-70 etc) that really matters, not peak power - that's why those Peugeot Turbodiesels are nippy!!