Hot Tech Tips and How To's

Sven

as can an overflowing Air con condensator tray - which has outlets behind the firewall carpets (little orange trumpets) - although you will notice this when the passenger has water dripping on their feet in a corner! There are we have discovered 4 places of main concern for wet carpets - the rear bulkhead drains (back of the wheel arches), the cowl drains (under the airbox - the ones you can't see), the aircon drains, and finally there is in alot of cases an unfilled 'hole' under the ECU tray on the left (as you sit) of the engine bay. Although that is a tricky one to rectify and requires the tray coming out. Search for dampness, drains, etc and you will find a million posts, and useful info on Audipages.com

• 10 months later...
Have recently had the bulb on one side of the CC control panel burn out. Its OK during the day but you don't have a clue at night so decided to give it a go tonight.

ccbulbout.jpg

There's some ambiguity as to whether all versions of the E87 control units can have there bulbs replaced. For future reference it seems any E87 unit that has the "Off" button on the prefacelift cars can be refitted with new bulbs (mines a '97 FYI).

I followed the workshop manual and some advice posted here VWvortex Forums: 1997 A8 Climate control bulb replacement. There are a couple of mistakes as pointed out by PsYcHe (cheers+++).

One is that lower red arrow in the first pic on this link should be pointing the other way i.e. its the screw that is forward most of the two that you need to undo on either side.

26122008258.jpg

The second is the bolt that retains the panel behind the central vents which are prised out carefully using a couple tools made from an old coat hanger or a carefully placed screw driver would also do the trick.

dashventtool.jpg

X=about 6mm

dashventbolt.jpg

I sourced a pack of 10 286T 12volt 1.2w bulbs from ebay for a fiver. The OE ones on the control unit are Alba 12w 0.9w; though they are different proportions in size the new ones fitted fine and do not protrude from the front panel. There is no screw driver slot in the new ones so you'll have to use a pair of needle nosed pliars to rotate the new bulbs through 90 degrees.

26122008266.jpg

Black purchased from Ebay; Green is OE

26122008252.jpg

Despite the minute power increase there wasn't any noticable difference in brightness. From start to finish its a couple of hours work tops due to removing the carpets and console side trims etc.

Needless to say I replaced all three bulbs.

26122008262.jpg

Cheers

the pic's in that link dont work anymore, got an other link ?

• 11 months later...

Hey MrMe: Thanks for the sharp eye about Sven....:o

I did find that an earlier 'reply' mentioned another source/link: try Tachoringe.de +++

The website seemed to be live & active...I'll just need to do a search for a supplier on this side of the 'pond'...!!!

If that fails...maybe I'll give it a 2nd thought to consider an order to this company.:cool:

Thanks again for the update...I think the rings look nice...could be a nice spring or summer DIY event...:rolleyes:

• bison unpinned this topic