Are us yanks really missing out on anything?

SlickDizzy

As an American, I've always loved TVR's. But TVR stopped exporting here in the 1980's. I lust for a T350T or Tuscan or even a Sagaris, but I've heard they're made out of cheap plastic things that break easily. I've heard news of TVR possibly beginning export here towards the end of next year.

Is this something to look forward to, or not? Us Americans haven't experienced a TVR since the wedge.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I think you Yanks will love TVR. I've also read that they want to start exporting to the USA again. I've had very little first hand experience of TVR reliability, but that's beside the point. You want one because, and I Quote

[ QUOTE ]

Big power, big noise, handling, style and individuality.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they do send them your way sell your New Mustang! (Not if it's an old one though!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

You will never get the (excellent) tuscan because of the angle of windcreen (thats "windshield" to you yanky chaps), and I am sure that the lack of safety stuff (abs, airbags etc), will deter all but the most devout of US buyers from buying TVR. The reliability is not up to Toyota standards, but hey, who wants to drive a Prius ? TVR is the epitome of British style, everyone should have one, look at the interior, power, aaaah, I could go on ... Mrs Duisberg Kid and 3 kids are not fans though ....

• 4 months later...

TVR did pick up a bad reputation for reliability, however in my experience (owned a griff 500 for 3.5 years only problem was a split rad hose) if you look after them and run them regularly they are as reliable as anything else, in fact after coming back from holiday (vacation) one time I had to jump start our VW off the TVR.

With regards to build and materials, you have to remember TVR are low volume cars, so interiors are hand made, however the design is stunning.

Do bits falling off, well Journos have decided that it's part of the game to pull something off a TVR dashboard and say 'Look the heater knob fell off in my hand'... try the same thing in a ford or BM the same thing will happen thats how they are designed.

TVR's are fantastic cars for the money, you do need to remember that despite the price they are practically racing thouroughbreds, so they do need looking after.

Cheers XFS

• 2 weeks later...

When they used a Tuscan in Swordfish Mr Travolta was first to put his name down for when they eventually hit the States, if ever ... he loved it!

I would love to return to TVR but will not get a Tuscan until I can be sure of the engine. Truly awesome cars though and lets hope under Russian ownership they just get better and better without losing the outgageous, totally unpractical style that we know and love. smile.gif

Evenin YP smile.gif (where's the wavey smiley?)

• 2 weeks later...