A4 Engine Noise

simmolee

Guys and gals,

Can anyone help. Recently my TDI has developed a strange engine sound at approx 1800-2000rpm when lightly accelerating and then lifting off to up-change. It is noticable in gears 3-5. It may happen in 6th but other noises drown the sound out. When it happens - which is not 100% of time but majority of time the noise lasts for about .5 sec as if something is opening or closing and the engine judders for the same amount of time. It seems to occur just as the torque is about to hit big time. The engine is the 2.5V6 180 which i had upsolute re-map to about 210. NONO3.GIF Other than the noise/judder the car is perfect - performance is rocketwhore.gif, fuel consumption etc

Does anyone have any ideas before i take it to the dealer and run the risk of them discovering the chip and thus invalidating the remaining warranty term?

Ta

Mine's the same engine and I haven't noticed any strange noises - done about 14k miles.

Is it worth contacting Upsolute and asking them to remove the chip so you can test it without ? Even if you have to pay for them to come out to do it, it may be cheaper than ruining your warranty ?

I had a similar thing on my 130, in 4th about 2000rpm, but without the judder, in my case it turned out to be a heat shield resonating at a certain frequency.

Just a point, if it's a judder, maybe it's the mating of the gearbox & clutch which may be the problem or perhaps to much torque from the new chip and a bit of 'hard' driving.. confused.gif

METHINKS MINES DOES THE SAME - MY THEORY IS THAT THE ENGINE HAS CAME FROM NO BOOST TO FULL BOOST AND MAYBE SOME PERMISSABLE OVERBOOST - JUST AS YOU DIP THE CLUTCH THE WASTEGATE OPENS AND ALL HELL IS LET LOOSE - PROBABLY A LOAD OF [censored] BUT I HAVE A VOLVO DIESEL WHICH CAN BE MADE TO MAKE THE SAME NOISE - INDUCE HEAVY BOOST THEN DIP THE CLUTCH - IT SOMETIMES REMINDS ME OF A COZZY DUMP VALVE NOISE!

WOULDN'T WASTE THE TIME WITH AUDI - THOSE B**BAGS COULDNT FIX JACK-S**T!

P.S. MINE CHIPPED BY ABT 4000 MILES AND THE FLYWHEEL IS KNACKED - GOING IN FOR WARRANTY JOB NEXT MONDAY - PLEASE PRAY THAT THEY CAN MANAGE TO CARRY OUT THIS SIMPLE OF SIMPLE TASKS WITHOUT WRECKING MY MOTOR fekr.giffuck_scott.gif DONT YOU JUST LOVE DEALERS?

slip the clutch smashfreakB.gif- not excessively just at lights awaiting launch or out of driveway(bit of an incline) you get a luvly juddering just as if the oily goo from your engine was smeared all over the clutch - time will tell - no doubt the twats will try to fob me off but not this time - they think theyve had problems with coilpacks? look out audi dealers badbaz has got your number rocketwhore.gifsportifs2.giffuck_scott.gif