A3 2.0 T FSI DSG Sportback - Review

CarMad

Well my shiny new motor has arrived and I have put a few thousand miles on it in the last few weeks.

Delivery

I say shiny but unfortunately the delivery was a bit of a disappointment. It’s a company car and as a result the car was delivered from a dealer in Leeds Franklin Audi (I live in Manchester). When it arrived on the Monday it was dirty, the alloys wheels didn’t look the best and the car didn’t look as if it had had a wash for a good while. It was a sunny day and certainly hadn’t rained. It turns out they use an external valet company and they had let them down big time. The first thing I did was to take it home and wash it, the dealer has given me a free valet at a company of my choice and some free rear mats. (No they don’t come as standard).

Looks

Might as well start with the looks, as most people who have the current front end like it more than the new face overall. I can understand that but the new face does give the car and the entire marque a more distinctive face. I am not sure the implementation on the A6 is the best but in my opinion it is better on the A3 Sportback. As for it looking like a coupe as it mentions in the blurb erm No. It does look quite big compared to the 3dr A3 and some have commented ‘is that the new A6’, but that is probably more to do with the new face than anything else.

Dscf0139.sized.jpgDSCF0140.sized.jpgDscf0143.sized.jpg

Interior

Inside it feels quite spacious and not that much smaller than my previous A4, it feels much bigger than the new 1 Series for those that are choosing between the two. The plastics on the dash are not the same quality of the A4 especially on the doors, they almost look a bit shiny. But to be honest its not something that you look at too often. The dashboard is very clear and the TT look climate controls certainly help to lift things a little. I have chosen the Symphony BOSE stereo which has the in dash 6 CD multi-changer so that it doesn’t rob any glove box space. The glove box isn’t as cavenous as that in the A4 but big enough for most, space is set out for a CDs and a few bits and bobs, there is even a holder for a pen ! As ever the dash looks great lit up at night and the Interior Light Pack helps a lot with this putting a red glow over all the major controls. The boot is big enough for most needs and the seats fold down should extra space be needed. I do miss the ability to lock the back seats as in the A4.

DSCF0161.sized.jpg

DSCF0132.sized.jpg

DSCF0153.sized.jpg

DSCF0184.sized.jpg

Engine

Ok everyone wants to know what the new 2.0 T FSI is like. Its good in fact it is very good. It is refined when you want and expect it to be (Don’t mention it in the same breath as the 2.0 FSI this is in a different league), but at the same time when you press the throttle you get a deep burble come from the exhaust at low revs, it then hardens and shoots to the redline with something of a fizz to the note with no complaint whatsoever. Considering I have only done a little over 2000 miles so far and there is a fair bit of loosening up to do, it's very impressive. Torque is very strong from low in the rev range 1500-1800 and never feels like it tails off right up to the red line. I had a 2.5 TDI Quattro before and it is easily as strong as that, and equal to the 2.0 TDI DSG S-Line I test drove - impressive for a 2.0 petrol. It feels 3.0 litre strong in acceleration and you are rarely short of power, a couple of times when it has kicked down I have been genuinely surprised at the turn of speed. On a country blast the DSG is great, blipping the throttle as you change down and changing up very quickly in Sport. In D the gearbox always chooses a very high gear almost too high on some occasions, but a gear lower is only a finger tip flip away so its never a problem. I have averaged about 33 MPG so far and got a best of 37.2 on a long motorway run. But before everyone rushes off you can never get away from the fact that this is a 4 cylinder engine, and no matter what they do to it, for me it never really has that last bit of enjoyment that a multi cylinder straight 6 or V6 can give, they seem to sing a tune. But as a 4 cylinder this is about as good as it gets, more tuneful than an Alfa 4 cylinder and more refined than a BMW valvetronic.

DSCF0146.sized.jpg

Chassis

Its greasy out there so I have not managed to really test it properly yet but initial views are excellent. Its seems to have a very good compromise between being firm for a back road blast and soft for a 4 hr motorway drive. I did Manchester to Portsmouth and back in a day - an 8hr drive and didn’t have a single bit of discomfort on the entire journey, impressive for a sports set-up if you ask me. It doesn’t really roll going into corners and stays incredibly flat smoothing out mid corner bumps that the 3dr S-Line seemed to crash into (this could be to do with the 18 inch alloys or the firmer 3dr suspension or a combination of both), it will understeer quite easily but you do have to be pressing on or giving the throttle a good boot to really anger the situation. This brings me to another issue, traction. I will be honest its not great, 200bhp and lots of torque are not recipes for good forward motion when travelling slowly in a front wheel drive car. Its not terrible but its easy to plant the throttle to the floor or kick down and get a lot of wheel spin when its wet, and a little in the dry. I might have looked at the Quattro but for me the penalty in fuel and more importantly the extra tax liability because it’s a company car cannot be justified.

Equipment

Below is a list of the extras I bought and a quick view about them.

Pearl Effect Paint Mauritus blue – Its a great colour. I'm not a fan of colours like silver, wanted something that looks good when its been kept clean and you can tell the difference when its washed.

Xenon Headlights

Fantastic, I can totally understand why people say when you have had them you never go back. Driving on back lanes main beam sometimes just isn’t needed.

Interior Light Pack

Creates a nice glow in the cabin and adds lights to the doors towards the floor and on the edge when you open them. Also adds vanity mirror lights, surely these should be standard ?!?

Front Centre Armrest

Makes the car even more chilled to drive and adds an extra bit of oddment space to the centre console.

Cruise Control

A must if I am to stay chilled and not let my speed get higher and higher during long journeys, makes journeys a lot more relaxing.

3 Spoke Leather Multi Function Wheel with Gear Controls

Good to control the Stereo but expensive if you don’t choose the hands free kit. Most of the other buttons only control the phone and don’t do anything for the Stereo. Its up or down tracks and sound only. Can’t even be used to select another disk or to change modes to FM or CD.. bit of a let down but again enjoy not having to stretch over to get the next track or change the volume.

17in 16 Spoke Alloy

I think they look great – the rest is up to you.

Symphony II With BOSE

Better to have the 6 CD not taking up space in the glove box and looks better IMO. As for the BOSE, yes its better than the standard set-up, on occasions it sounds brilliant and really sets the music alight, but sometimes its just a bit normal and doesn’t have the sparkle. The sound leveller really does work, go on a noisy road surface and it gets a little louder. Would choose it again definitely.

Auto Folding Door Mirrors +Heated washer jets

Except that they give you heated washer jets I wouldn’t get this option again. You have to have the ignition on to fold them, and if you move the leaver to the normal position when the engine is off they don’t move. You have to put the switch to the folded position, start the engine, then turn the switch, it should be so much simpler and less hassle.

Aluminium Roof Rails

Adds a nice bit of chrome to the roof line, a nice if expensive addition.

Non Smoking Pack

You get a cover for the cigarette lighter and a deeper well below the climate controls.

Light/Rain Sensor Pack

A revelation. I have had the auto lights on my Lexus IS200, but the rain sensor is fantastic, I would recommend it to everyone. Its sensitivity is controlled by the old variable control on the column stalk, so if you don’t want it to kick in at the slightest drop of water it won’t or vice versa. Stop at lights and it flips to intermittent now like the BMWs. Go past a truck and it quickens to get rid of the extra spray, get in to clearer air and it just does the occasional sweep. You just don’t need to think about it and variable rain conditions are no longer annoying. Great cheap buy.

Acoustic Parking(Rear)

Make reversing so much easier and less dangerous, what more can I say.

Conclusion

I would recommend this car highly and is probably the best car I have had as an overall package, there are just no major flaws in any area that I have found so far. It feels strong and secure, it handles very well better than I thought it would and I don’t hang about, I have driven many ‘Drivers cars’ that are a lot worse. The engine really is as good as everyone says, is the same as that in the Golf GTi and is equally as good in the Sportback and I would argue better value for money. Equipment is a bit thin on the basic car, things like steering wheel controls and cruise all come as standard on BMWs, a good stereo and leather standard on a Lexus. Refinement is top draw to boot, and the DSG gearbox is going to make the next decision to choose a car very hard, more economical and faster than a normal auto and makes each journey far more relaxing, and do I miss changing gear with a manual and crawling in slow motorway traffic, not for a second.

If anyone has any extra info they want or pics of anything I would be happy to oblige. Hope you like the review beerchug.gif169144-ok.gif

There are more Pictures on My Album Carmads New A3 Sportback Pics.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the Tomtom is fitted. I have got the Palm T3 with Tomtom 3.

Couple of pics below. I asked the bloke that fitted the handsfree kit if he could wire in the power cable, he did and sorted the cables aswell, for nothing. The cable must be attached to the wiring loom with the car kit behind the glovebox which he took out to do it. I unplug the cradle power connector when I am away from the car for a while, otherwise it is powered all the time. The rest of the wires are fed down the edge of the windscreen. I could take out the sensor and cradle if I wanted to, but not the power cable. No curly cables or trailing wires to get in the way anymore. beerchug.gif

DSCF0134.sized.jpg

DSCF0162.sized.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok for those that are interested a quick update on the car so far.

Its done almost 4k now and I have had more time to get to know the car. Whats its good, what I wish it had and a better idea of the good and bad options.

Plus I have given it a couple of good thrashes on some nice quite back roads, its very good but more of this later.

Issues / Problems

Security

A couple of gripes first. There is a little bit of cost cutting / thought been lost on the car in relation to security. For instance their is no lock on the glovebox at all. The rear seats can't be locked as they could in the A4, admittedly there is a parcel shelf that is easy'ish to break but still. There seems to be nowhere in the car to keep your valuable safe if you are leaving the car for a long time if it gets broken into. I have seen pictures of the release of the car in the states and the glovebox does have a lock so maybe it might just be earlier cars that are affected.

Light switch

Other issues are only minor. Like the fact that you can't quickly flash your fog lights without turning them to side lights and then to full, plus in the process if you want to put your fog lights on to give someone a reminder that they have their mainbeam / front fogs on that you turn your own fog lights on. This is partly because to turn the lights off you have to press the button in to go back to auto / all lights off. So no excuses new Audi drivers to leave any fog lights on, lets not become like the BMW brigade.

Engine tickover

Another minor thing is the engine management seems to blip the throttle a bit when its ticking over, its only small but because the exhaust on the 2.0 T FSI is on the sport side when the throttle is pressed I notice it a little more. I don't for a second think its a problem but can make me out to be a bit weird as if I am sitting there blipping the throttle a tiny amount.

Ok that's the bad things out of the way as far as I am concerned anyway. Looks wise the car is really growing on me, as I sure the nose will to lots of others as well. Even the new B7 is starting to look good in a few pictures I have seen lately.

The good bits

The engine is a little more free now than it was when I got it. I have not also tried it with Optimax and it makes a big difference. I have read that FSI's like the finer stuff more than most and it certainly seems the case. The car could hardly be called slow before but now it has moved on again, it really flies.

Wheel spin is a bit of a problem though with the car only being 2 wheel drive. Plant the car at a set of traffic lights in the wet and you get LOTS of wheel spin and a traction control system that has a bit of a hard time to say the least. As its DSG you can't even slip the clutch or anything, sometimes its just best to keep it planted and let the traction control give me as much as the wheels can handle. I have tried to back off as well with various results.

DSG

The DSG is fantastic, I find driving around town a lot more relaxing now than before, queuing on the motorway is not a problem either. You can quickly flip down gears if you need to and changes are lighting fast. Some people have mentioned that it doesn't stay in gear for long enough after you have pressed the paddles as well. This is easily solved. If you move the gearlever across into gear selection mode if you are going for a blast it will stay in whatever gear you want for as long as you want or until you hit the redline in which case it will change up, or if you come to a stop that is. So you can charge out of a corner, shoot down the straight, brake and power out again and the engine will not change down or do anything for you except go up instead of blowing the engine. In S mode the gearbox is a bit manic to say the least, it will change down really quickly to be in the right gear to give maximum attack all the time, I have tired this and the car becomes a bit manic and fuel consumption really suffers, D with a prod of the throttle / padles when you need it is best. Only minor issues is if you rush it at a set of lights after it is moved to D rive from N eutral, it jolts a little not a bad thing but it is better to pause as it gets the clutch to bite, I tend not to leave it in Drive if waiting in lights for a long time. you can move it to neutral without pressing the button on the side and only have to press the break to put it back into drive again.

Fuel Consumption

Talking of fuel consumption. Average is still about 32 which as I have been thrashing about and playing more is really good. On a long motorway cruise at a good cruising speed I can get 35-37 out of the journey. Now to me this is pretty good as I have just read an article about the Honda I-cdti diesel engine and they got 38.4Mpg on a continental blast and 40Mpg average, and I bet I am having a lot more fun and more power than the diesel will give.

Engine

Now then onto the chassis / engine. Both are great and I am having so much fun which I wasn't expecting when driving a front wheel drive car. Yes you have to change your driving style a little bit but thats some of the fun and challenge. The engine will whistle and bop and has a great and deep exhaust note on the back roads, you need to put the windows down a bit to get the effect but it gives great returns. Just rev the engine in a car park and it pops and whistles and sounds great, this is a 4 cylinder with character and soul and by the sounds of it is exactly the same set-up at the Golf GTI and a lot less subdued than in the A4. Its super smooth when cruising and is always keep to shoot to the redline with no problems.

Chassis

Chassis is as good as ever, the ABS only comes in at the last minute and the ESP helps rather than hampers the experience. I have mentioned that the car struggles to put the power down but a trip out with a friend who has a Lean Cupra R he thinks mine is a lot better than his and is certainly no slower and he thinks sounds a lot better than his car. Bumps and crests on country roads don't sent the car jumping about as can be the case in the 18" shod S-lines or at least that's what I found with the 3dr 2.0 TDI I test drove for a few days. But at the same time the car isn't supper hard either and is quite supple but doesn't role a lot. Audi certainly seem to be making better more sporty cars IMO that's for sure.

Anyway, just thought I'd update. Car is great and for those that are looking at a Golf GTI at 21 ish k with DSG should have a look at this. It only 22k will depreciate less has all the Audi quality hallmarks and is a little bit more Q car and IMO all the better for it.

Good write up again 169144-ok.gif

Glad you like the engine. I ordered mine without driving one and the more I hear about it makes me think I made the right deceision. Like you I am a company car driver and although the tax is going to be a lot (i.r.o £225per month) I won't notice it as I'm already paying that for my current car.

Debated saving some cash and going diesel but gave myself a slap and ordered the 2.0T petrol.

You have got me even more excited about March 1st.

ECLIPSe.gif

Ditto. Had a test drive of the 2.0 TDI S-Line DSG and it just left me cold. A car has be be chosen with the heart rather than the head. Really glad I went for the 2.0 T and the same the tax was slightly less that the A4 2.5 TDI Quattro I had before... so that a saving in my head. grin.gif

Its really quick and is the best car I have had so far on the back roads, you can just throw it around and its just the right size for me.

You have made a top choice. 169144-ok.gif I bet you can't wait, the days will start to feel longer the closer it gets i'm sure.

Excellent update and good to see someone adopting what seems to be a very neutral stance when writing it (I'll overlook the BMW brigade comment.... wink.gif).

I think the colour is very nice indeed too. Much better than the darker shades that BM make you choose from (although Indianapolis Blue should change that soon).

As regards the comments on the grill in the initial review, I'm still not convinced on it. I still prefer the original but suspect it may be a case of 5-series syndrome - that being that they do tend to grow on you after a while. The more Audi's I see on the road with the grill the more I think they look okay. Then I see an older Audi and think "Hmm, no I prefer that!".

Hello there.

Opppss on the BMW brigade, my Dad drives one and thats what I thought was best for him .. a nice sweet 6 it is too.

I know what you mean on the looks. I wasn't sure about the new 5 at first but it has grown on me a lot. Audi needed to be a little differenct as some think they are a little two straight laced for there own good, thus they are trying to have a bit more attitude.

Can't quite afford an M3 just yet, I have driven one, top motor. Am happy with the A3 ... its a fantastic ride, very fluid and doesn't get ragid when pushed up to 100% of its or my abilitys, it just feels right some how.

P.s. Nice to see you posting from time to time 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

more tuneful than an Alfa 4 cylinder

[/ QUOTE ]

That must be some engine! Nothing has ever come close to the sound that the Alfa engines make. (even BMW 4 cyl - sorry M3Me!!). I thought that the only 4 cyl engine I would ever go back to (if I had too), would be the Alfa ones, now with the FSI T, maybe I will think again.

The looks are good.

Quality write up!

Thank you CarMad for your excellent review.

I'm contemplating buying the 2.0 TFSI but can't make up my mind about going for the DSG or the Quattro. It's a pity they don't offer the 2.0 TFSI in Quattro DSG, but I guess that's marketing not wanting to pitch against the 3.2.

My wife and I have never owned an auto and have never considered one up until now, but we do like the idea of the DSG. Unfortunately I can't find a dealer with a demo 2.0 TFSI DSG - there are plenty with the Quatttro. I had a brief drive of the 2.0 TDI DSG and the gear change is nice, although at times I noticed a real lag between pressing the throttle and getting a response - probably down to the engine more than the DSG?

I am a bit concerned about the wheel spin with the DSG. I currently have an A4 2.8 V6 in front wheel drive manual, and of course it would be easy to provoke wheel spin if you floor it at the lights - do you really drive that way? You can also lose grip in higher gears if the road is slippery (eg in 3rd last night). Is this the sort of thing you find with the Sportback? Drivers used to Quattros would probably find this unacceptable but when you lose grip the ASR always cuts in and it never feels unsafe.

I wonder if over time the attractions of the DSG wear off and perhaps we would prefer the Quattro for its improved grip. It's really difficult to make a decision without a proper test drive of the actual model in slippery conditions.

BTW, we test drove the new Golf GTI manual a few days ago. The handling definately felt superior to the Sportback but it was less refined. The steering felt more sporty and precise. It too was very easy to wheel spin, if you tried. Being used to a refined A4 I'd find the road noise of the GTI would get me down on a long, fast journey - it was better on the Sportback, even though I think the one we tried had the larger tyres. In the GTI you had to raise your voice to hold a conversation at 80mph, so imagine what it would be like at 140mph on the autobahns! We also noticed the GTI was apt to get buffeted by crosswinds - we tested the Sportback on the same road about an hour later and didn't notice this problem. Standard equipment in the GTI is better but the cloth seats in the GTI look naff IMO, meaning you'd end up splashing out on leather, which I don't think you need on the Sportback.

Welcome to TSN Typo beerchug.gif

The great DSG or Quattro debate. I had Quattro on my previous A4 and it did give it superb traction, however I also felt that it added quite a bit of weight to the car that made it feel stodgy and poor under braking.

If you want to pull out of a side turing in the DSG with your foot flat to the floor in the wet or charge away from the lights all the time at maximum attack you will experience a lot of wheel spin whilst you are driving in damp and wet conditions.

I wouldn't consider myself as a total boy racer but I don't hang about either and I haven't found it a big problem, but you know it may hamper progress. As for wheel spin at faster speeds no, only when setting off.

I would never have normally choosen an auto but the DSG really is very good. I don't get the fuel penalty a normal auto has but I do get all of the benefits. Driving is now much more relaxing than I have ever experiences. As the roads are getting busier DSG/Autos are making more sense. Crawling on the motorway or through town centres it no longer hassle of, clutch first move stop, clutch first move stop. The DSG is also meant to be more economical and the way I drive the DSG most of the time I think that helps to make it far more economical than even a 2wd manual would be. The only delay I notice is when starting off, you need to let the clutch bite with your foot on the brake prior to setting off for a second so that the car doesn't jolt a bit. Again after a while you just don't notice this you just know you need to do it.

Plus when you do want to have a sporty back road blast play with the paddles and enjoy driving the car.

As for the comments on the Golf I haven't driven one yet. I suspect the none Quattro might feel more like the Golf GTI in sporting feel without the extra weight?

I found the Sportback to be a lot more refined than the A3 3dr I test drove before this arrived and as you say is much better for it.

Happy Desision making, let me know if you have any more questions. 169144-ok.gif

CarMad, you mention the potential jolt when starting off. When waiting at lights, would you shift into N or leave the transmission engaged? Apart from a bit a extra fuel consumption, would there be a problem in doing this? I notice you get creep with the DSG like on a conventional automatic, so you'd need to apply the brake. I think I'd prefer to use the handbrake, rather than inflict my brake lights on the person behind!

How easy do you find parking? I can imagine that flicking between forward and reverse may not be as swift as with a manual box.

It's a pity that the auto modes are so extreme - D being programmed to maximise economy and S to maximise performance. It would be nice to have one auto position but a range of mode settings.

Depends on how long I am waiting for the lights to be honest. You can feel that the engine is slightly laboured if you sit at a set of lights for a while leaving it in D, I'm not the sort of driver to sit at the lights burning the clutch away DSG or manual so its out of gear for me. Its easy to move to N as you don't have to press the button on the side of the gear lever, you only need to have your foot on the brake. Then just prior to the lights changing press the brake move the lever to D and wait until the lights turn green, this way you get no jolt whatsoever. This only occurs if you move the gear lever to D and press the accelerator quickly without allowing the gearbox to find the bite point on the clutch.

As for parking, to be honest I find it easier, it allows you to slowly move into a space without having to think about the clutch and revs etc. and is extremely easy. I haven't found any issues even when parking on a slope or anything similar. I found it a lot easier than the 2.0 TDI DSG I test drove which seemed to be a bit all or nothing at parking speeds, the TFSI is a lot more natural.

Yes I know what you mean about the D and S being so extreme. To be honest I only use D and use the paddles from time to time in normal driving and the car is always keen to kick down if required. And if I am on a really sporty blast I move the lever to the left and the car becomes totally manual almost and I use the paddles to change up and down, the car only goes up a gear if it gets to the redline or when you stop it selects first. Its nice to hear the engine blip the throttle to smooth down changes as well !

I know what you mean about not wanting to trash the clutch but I'm not sure it's a problem. If you think about it, when you're driving one of the two oil linked clutches will be slipping, and probably at lot higher rate than when you're idling. At least, that's the way I visualise it working.

Another question for you CarMad: What petrol grade do you use? Do you use 98 RON or 95 RON? Audi advise 98 RON but I think under UK law they have to be able to run on 95 RON too. Apart from poorer performance, could 95 RON cause damage? Does the user manual mention anything about this?

I'm test driving a 2.0 TFSI Quattro on Monday. I couldn't find a dealer running a 2.0 TFSI DMG as a demonstator.

I have used both and haven't had a problem with either. Yes you get a performance boost using 98 but it is by no means sluggish using 95.

Can't remember what the manual said to be honest know that it didn't give me cause for concern.

I sometimes use Optimax sometimes don't it depends on if I am feeling flush and want he extra go or am just on a long motorway drive.

Let me know what you think after you have test driven it on Monday. 169144-ok.gif

We had a test drive in the 2.0 TFSI Quattro yesterday. It was manual of course but still a useful indication of the engine and ride. I'm sorry to say that we found the ride somewhat uncomfortable. The handling was good, but it didn't feel as sharp as the Golf GTI. We then immediately drove the 2.0 TDI FWD with DSG, and I was astonished to find we preferred it. That can't be right! The ride quality is so different between the standard and sports setup. I'm not sure the sports setup inproves the handling that much, but I guess you'd notice more after you'd driven the two longer and harder.

One thing I did notice with the diesel DSG was that if I suddenly floored it for overtaking on a dual carriageway there was a significant delay before the power came in - perhaps only a second but it seemed a long time when I didn't have anything to do with my left hand. Perhaps diesel turbo lag, or perhaps the DSG? Perhaps the DSG was in 5th and had preselected 6th, then when I floored it the DSG had to move to preselect 4th or drop into 3rd? Do you ever notice this sort of delay with the 2.0 TFSI DSG?

Today we again looked at the Golfs. Firstly a manual 2.0 TDI. Whilst it's supposed to be the same engine as in the Sportback it wasn't as quiet and there was a nastly whistle which we hadn't noticed in the Audi. The salesman said this was the turbo whistle you'd hear on all TDIs, so I wonder why the Audi didn't have it. What I didn't notice was the throttle delay I'd experienced with the Sportback 2.0 TDI with the DSG box. So perhaps the delay was due to the DSG, not the engine?

Next the Golf 2.0 FSI manual. Whilst it was a lot quieter than the 2.0 TDI it lacked punch and felt very dull by comparison. Forget it.

So finally back to the Golf GTI. Definately the best of the three Golfs and the only one we'd seriously consider. We'd dismissed it the other day, perhaps unjustly, and I'm afraid we decided the Golf GTI was superior in ride and handling to the Sportback 2.0 TFSI.

However, the Sportback is nice. It is stylish inside and out in a way the GTI simply can't match. I do like the DSG but I'd be nervous of buying a GTI without testing it with DSG, given that I've read a review saying it can sometimes wait several seconds before responding to requests for full-throttle acceleration (funny, that sounds the same as I found with the Sportback 2.0 TDI). Cost wise the Golf doesn't look good either. I reckon at the moment you can get around 10% discount on the Sportback, virtually nothing on the GTI. Plus you have to pay a whacking extra £515 for paddle shifts with the DSG box on the GTI. You cannot be serious! I think paddle shifts now come as standard on the Sportback DSG, although it depends upon which price list you use.

One thing I didn't like about the Sportback was the central locking system. When you start to drive all the doors are automatically locked. Then when you take the key out of the ignition all the doors unlock. Normally when I'm on my own I like to drive with my door unlocked and all the other doors locked, and for them to remain that way as I get out. It's a security issue. The GTI does exactly what I want, the Sportback doesn't (unless I've missed something).

So the shortlist is the Sportback 2.0 TDI DSG or the Golf GTI manual. Talk about chalk and cheese. Perhaps the answer is to wait to see how Skoda configure the new Octavia vRS !

Well that was a bit of a mixed bag. I have to say I haven't test driven the Quattro 2.0 TFSI but from my experience of the last car it felt very different with it. Yes you get the 4wd and the traction but you get more of a stodgy nature to the car that the 2wd DSG might not have.

My car only has the 17" wheels and is a Sport not an S-line. If you drove an S--line with 18" wheels and stiffer suspension it might explain the difference.

I have to say I don't notice a delay when putting my foot down, it depends on the whether or not the car is kicking down or not. If you are doing 50 put your foot to the floor it will change down a couple of gears ... that could explain the delay maybe not ? The car normally suprises me for how crisp and responsive it feels not the opposite.

The locks can be set to lock or not the dealer should be able to sort that no problem, I have to say I like it from a safety point of view, less likely for someone to try your door and get in.

Maybe a test drive in a 2.0 TFSI DSG Sportback will square off the circle if you can find someone who has one as a demo ?

I have to say after a great drive out in the car tonight, I am more happy with the car than ever. Happy choosing 169144-ok.gif

CarMad - Question about your mobile phone mount. Is it one of those Brodit mounts which slip into the side gaps of the central console and stereo/air cond? what do you think of it?

I am awaiting delivery of a T FSI DSG as well but plumped for the S-Line as those wheels to me look awesome (have to live with the harsher ride though). I have the TomTom Go and like to know if those brodit mounts are any good (stable, doesn't ruin car trim etc).

Thanks for the great review - it keeps me going while I await delivery.

Hello there and Welcome to TSN beerchug.gif

To be honest I don't know what the mount is. I think its the same one that I had fitted in my A4. It is slightly textured to match the car and its very stable. The A4 had no marks whatsoever when it was removed before I swapped.

The person who fitted the phone found power behind the glovebox and the speaker for the phone its almost completely out of sight in the passenger footwell.

Its a great mount and doesn't affect me or the passenger.

Glad you like the review. What engine/spec have you ordered ?

• 2 weeks later...

If you see a car with the identical exterior styling registered in Scotland, flash your lights! I just ordered a 2.0T FSI Quattro with the Maruitius Blue, milti-spoke wheels, and roof rails per yours. I loved the manual in my (B5)S4 and want it back.

Three quick questions:

1. Cruising at the national speed limit on the motorway, what kind of fuel economy do you get? In the city, do you find it drops as significantly as the numbers in the brochures state?

2. Did your headunit have inputs for the mobile phone installation? Does it automatically mute the music? Was thinking about getting the Sony Ericsson bluetooth installed, but wanted some insight.

3. Is there a drinkholder in the armrest? Some other Audi's have it, some don't. Thinking it may be a great place for an iPod connector wire from Dennison cool.gif.

Cheers buddy.