Ever heard of this?

Dinky D

The Cab let me down today- would not start.

Would not start last night just churned over on the starter so left it and took the Mrs Focus (yuk!). Same thing this morining. Checked a few things:-

Battery fine, all electronic health checks fine, fuel laugh.gif fine. Relocked it a couple of times and still it just churned over on the starter motor. Left it 10mins and tried again still nothing.

Finally gave up and called Audi Assistance-the RAC turned up grin.gif. All very prompt and professional. He said it was *over fueled* and this often happened to big engined cars (It is a 2.4 but hey! cool.gif). He churned it on the starter motor and after about 3-4 mins it burst into life. All fine now but confused I have never ever heard of this before, I know its a posh way of saying flooded but why didn't it dry out in the time I left it?

Any comments o wise ones tongue.gif

I'm no mechanic, but I'd always been led to believe that you couldn't "flood" a fuel injection car. Something to do with metered fuel injected on demand from the electronics meaning it won't simply pump fuel in if it isn't required. confused.gif

Most odd...

Agreed Ari very strange confused.gif

All working fine now though but due to go to the stealers for a quick warrenty check on it.

BTW the Cab is becoming quite a common spot for me. Driving round the M25 yesterday morning I saw three between M4 and M40 junction. Just about to give a quick wave when I remembered I was in a Focus blush.gif

I could be wrong but never heard of so much nonsense.. flooding nornmally happens on old carb cars, and then you can smell fuel. Could be more like faulty fuel pump, problem with engine management etc, think only the Audi technicians could tell you whats wrong confused.gifconfused.gif...

I've definately heard of FI cars being over-fuelled (or flooded). I think the MGF owners manual said something about it. the solution was to turn the engine over with the accelerator pedal fully pressed down. this apparently clears whatever is flooded. sounds bizarre but i've definately heard of it.

might be worth trying.

A3F,

Bang on! This is exactly what the guy did to clear it and my concern is the cat. But having had old carb cars (MGB esp) I know what floodingis and how to clear it. No petrol smell and the fuel didn't evaporate overnight either, still v strange!

Booked into the Squealer for a check up next week.

Funny it's never happened again