Blagged an A8 3.0TDi for the weekend

craigyb

Well after getting my spark plugs changed and the Sat Nav system swapped, well not not swapped as the one they ordered didnt fit accoriding to the mechanic confused.gif at Lancaster audi and admiring the A8 in the showroom, one of the unsuspecting salesmen asked me if I was interested in an 8. So I fed him a load of flannel and low and behold I got myself an A8 demonstrator from Friday 9:00AM until Sunday afternoon.

Will have a good old run around in that me thinks... grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The rest button is an optionBTW, it comes with the solar sunroof!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite convinced I once pressed the on/off switch on the rear AC console with the ignition off, and the AC came on in both the front and the back, using the residual heat from the engine. As far as I know, this should work from the front AC controls as well.

There is a separate option for a winter heater on a timer or remote, so you can get into a warm car. I'm not entirely sure it's on the regular price list in the UK though is it? Is it an Audi Exclusive option here?

Well got to the garage this morning, handed my S8 over to service to have the Sat nav unit replaced. Did all the papework for the A8 and waited for service to finish work on my car. 45 mins later they handed me back my S8, I checked the satnav and to my disgust it was forced in at an angle into the dash just like last friday, but even worse this time.

So I marched back into service reception and told them what I thought of the chimps they had working on the cars. Service guy came out to look at the dash, he agreed the job was awful. I told him not to do anything I would fix it myself, as I could do a better job than a trained chimp.

He insisted it went back in and they fixed it. 10 minutes later the car is back and the satnav is now fitted properly. How difficult can it be to swap one out, I've done it myself about 1o times.

So I marched up to the salesman who's clinching a deal on another A8 and handed him the demo keys back and told him service was attrocious and I wouldn't buy an A8 from them if it was the last dealer on the planet. His jaw dropped the customer laughed and I walked out and drove off in the S8.

End of story...

On the subject of straight!! If any of you want a laugh, try this game.... look at the rear number plate on any new or nearly new car you happen to be following and compare the top or bottom or left or right edges of the plate to the surrounding recess/bodywork, I'll bet you 9.5 times out of 10 it'll be either slanted (usually badly!) and/or not central in the recess.... go on try it and tell me the results!! Now just think, these people who can't even fit a No plate properly are servicing or repairing your highly technically advanced car!!!... have a nice day...LOL

Paul N

[ QUOTE ]

So I marched up to the salesman who's clinching a deal on another A8 and handed him the demo keys back and told him service was attrocious and I wouldn't buy an A8 from them if it was the last dealer on the planet. His jaw dropped the customer laughed and I walked out and drove off in the S8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top quality mate 169144-ok.gif

Well the saga continues, when cleaning the car this weekend I noticed that teh heater controls facia panel just below the sat nav was scratched and marked really badly, wasn't like that before Audi got hold of it. Really angry now.

So this morning I was just about to complain to Audi UK and what do I get, a phone call from Lancaster Audi customer service dept asking me how much I enjoyed the service from Lancaster Audi.

Well the poor woman, I let he have it form the frist contact with Lancaster until Friday just gone. She was in all honesty very sympathetic and raised a customer complaint to Lancaster Audi on my behalf. So I will await the out come from that.

Anyone have the number for Audi UK?

Craig

fekr.gif The Audi UK number is, I think on their website, make sure you get them to change the air con panel, mind you they'll probably scratch the surround whilst taking that out!.

I'm afraid my experience of Audi dealers is that although they sell a premium price product and have nice shiny (Bullshit!) showrooms, their aftersales service is dreadfull with mechanics generally less able to do anything right, or with care than independents (Mind you I don't think much to them either! the motor trade in general seems to have more badly skilled people than good, I try to do as much as possible myself as I hate trusting my car to the morons ROLLEY~14.GIF) In fact I don't think I've ever had work done on my car where minor damage hasn't been done to the surrounding area/paintwork etc! I even dread leaving it to them for an MOT!

Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction, good luck!

Paul

Having spoke to my mate who spent 5 years as an Audi mechanic, the problem is that there are fewer people wanting to become mechanics.

He worked in the local Audi garage before moving on to a Ferarri Garage. He has been back a few time now and he has commented on the state of the Mechanics in there. To many motors and not enough time to do any type of quality work. The also tend not to employ there own staff and the mechanics are maily contractors who are given very little training on any Audi let alone A8's. This means that you get a whole bunch of self employed mechanics doing the fleet car mill, and do not have the time to spend on your car. They can be working on 3 cars at a time.

All this for £80 per hour. Makes you feel glad. This is the problem with Franchises, and the cars being as popular as they are. Billions of Pounds spent on delevoping the cars only to have some untrained monkey hit it with a hammer.

Warranty is the biggest worry, but remember that under European Law you can have someone less maintaine your car, and as long as they use the correct Main dealer parts, your warranty is still valid. Only problem is when you come to sell the car. A8's need a FSH. Is it worth the same if it is done by someone else or at a stealers????

I feel very lucky to have a mate who looks after mine for a few beers, and boy is he good.......

Anyway rant over.......

Hope you get your problem sorted soon.

Got a call from teh service manager this afternoon, he asked to tell him what had happened and he said, I don't expect A8 customers to be treated that way at all and if I bring my car back in to show him, he will replace any damaged parts free of charge, so I'll show him the damage to the heater controls facia and the chip in the wood surround. Also the display has pixels out, unfortunately they are lit, so they are noticable all the time. I will see if I can get a new one of them too.

Craig

Hey Craig,

If they change the wood fasia, aircon panel, and sat nav itself, that will set them back over £3,000!!! serve 'em right, they might think twice in the future about doing shi*e quality work on our cars!!

Interesting that he said he wouldn't expect an A8 owner to be given service like that... almost infers that if you "only" owned a lesser car like an A4 or A6, you should expect crappy service!! God I hate Audi dealers!!!!

fekr.gif

Paul