Techies - spec me a good laptop please

Colin M

As title, looking to replace my Dell Inspiron with something newer and faster.

Needs minimum DVD playback/CD writer, Firewire, PCMCIA slot, wireless, 10/100 port, 15" screen (poss widescreen though rarely watch DVD's on laptop), lightweight (under 3kg), tough case (travels a lot), fast graphics (so I can run a couple of decent games and Flight Sim).

Been looking at the Evesham Voyager XT PM745 as an alternative to my usual Dell choices.

I don't want Tiny or Sony or anything else ending in a "Y", thanks.

Any others to look at?

[ QUOTE ]

As title, looking to replace my Dell Inspiron with something newer and faster.

Needs minimum DVD playback/CD writer, Firewire, PCMCIA slot, wireless, 10/100 port, 15" screen (poss widescreen though rarely watch DVD's on laptop), lightweight (under 3kg), tough case (travels a lot), fast graphics (so I can run a couple of decent games and Flight Sim).

Been looking at the Evesham Voyager XT PM745 as an alternative to my usual Dell choices.

I don't want Tiny or Sony or anything else ending in a "Y", thanks.

Any others to look at?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've just described the Sony I've just purchased. PC World are doing it for £1,300 at the mo. I have to say, that next to my Pioneer Sat Nav, it is the best thing I've ever purchased. Specs Here

Colin, iv'e had my Evesham Voyager X5 PM17 now for 7 weeks now and am very pleased with it, also thier customer support is very good indeed,I used it after trying to install Norton over the virus protection which came with the machine blush.gif but they sorted it and it only took two minutes to talk to an advisor 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Do IBM's still come with that baby nipple mouse thing? I could never get on with those. My neighbour is a big cheese over at IBM so should be able to get staff rates on one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do but you don't have to use it ! - IBM ThinkPad -

excellent - get your neighbour to source you one with a discount. 169144-ok.gif

If i was buying a new laptop i would be looking towards a Sony Vaio.

The have lovely Onxy screens(or whatever they term it now), look the business, appear to be well built and feel quality and what you paid for.

I was a lovely slim line one the other day, was a very small screen, ie 12" but a wide screen.

For now my light weight Sharp (1.4 centrino)is doing me well.

Model number of my vaio is VGN-A215M. The 17 inch version of same model no, but with a 17 stuck in there. Screen is called x-black nowadays, and it's is absolutely stunning. YOu really have to see it to believe it. Has a really cool auto-contrast function too, so when the sun comes out, the screen brightens, and when it goes in, darkens again.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Do IBM's still come with that baby nipple mouse thing? I could never get on with those. My neighbour is a big cheese over at IBM so should be able to get staff rates on one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they do but you don't have to use it ! - IBM ThinkPad -

excellent - get your neighbour to source you one with a discount. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Time to come clean..... I can get the staff discount - 23%. Go for a T42. I've got a T41, 32mb ATI video, 1.7 GHz Pentium M, 60GB HD, CD Writer, DVD drive and best of all, built like a brick out house. The motion sensor is cool, parks the hard drive heads when it senses you moving the machine. Also, like someone else mentions, it comes with the nipple and touchpad so you have the choice.

[ QUOTE ]

Vaio's rule. Had two now I have a A217M its the daddy bit to big for you Colin I would have thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one! Well, I have the A215M which is almost identical, but with 15.4 screen in stead of 17. And mine hasn;t got a built in optical mouse. :~(

Get one thought Colin.. don't hesitate.. trust us, you'll love it.