Solution for tranny hunting/thumping problem?

PaulW

TozoA8 of audiworld might of solved his tranny problem....

His old tranny (1997) died because clutch A burned out....because he had a crack in the valve body.....

Got a 2002 tranny with 30K miles on it and put it in....took it a week to start shifting okay, but it sounded terrible! Like the hydraulic pump was cavitating bad!

So he went back to his tranny guy and they put sealer between the valve body and transmission (there is none from the factory)....he said it's smooth as butter!

I'm going to try it, the guy is in Chicago who did the work! My tranny has been hunting and thumping for years!

You can read about it and see pictures here.

TozoA8 actually did not have much money to do the tranny rebuild. He found audipages and me, we became friends, and tried troubleshooting his tranny problem three times, he tried it more times on his own.

He ended up getting a transmission off ebay.com for $750 U.S. from an 02 A8 with 32K miles. The core charge alone for a tranny rebuild is $1,000!

He found a guy local to change the tranny out for $550. Ended up he had a few more problems (somebody dropped the torque converter before he got it) and had to have his torque converter rebuilt for $150, plus another $500 to drop the tranny again.

He's going to put new clutch plates in his 97 tranny and then sell it on ebay for hopefully $1,000 US or more.....a pretty cheap repair!

TozoA8 is a real mechanical (and pretty much electrical) genuis.....he came here from Hungary about 5 years ago, every time we get together, he impresses me.

His car is in perfect condition, he bought it less than a year ago for $9,000 US with 95K miles on, hot and cold weather package (and of course it's a 4.2 quattro).

pw