Stonechips ...

Roy

... quite literally piss me off.

Do you lot just us touch up paint from the dealer or is there there some hitherto unknown black art of repairing the paintwork.

Got my new car last week, already got one down to the metal stonchip. Serves me right for getting black I suppose frown.gif

How do these things affect the anti corrosion warranty by the way, if I touch it up and it rusts anyway is that covered/

Conversely, if I don't touch it up and it rusts am I covered? confused.gif

Sorry to disappoint you Roy, but I think corrosion caused by stone chips is not covered by warranty (unless of course the dealer repairs the stone chips).

I have a dark A4 too, and have several stone chips around the front of the car (bonnet and wheel arches mainly), but none are through to the metal yet. I'd recomment you get it covered ASAP so that corrosion doesn't get a toe-hold (although I think the body is galvanised anyway).

'Chips Away' are meant to be a pretty good company for getting rid of the little blighters, although I haven't tried them (yet). They come out to you and do a professional job of hiding the chips such that (reportedly) they are extremely difficult to detect afterwards.

The alternate thing si to get some touch-up paint and laquer, although I haven't tried this either. Think you need a steady hand and a fine paintbrush to be able to do the job properly though. Personally, I'd be prepared to pay a man to do a proper job - if I had the cash in the first place wink.gif

I've got the Audi touch up paint and laquer. It is hard to do a good job, but I'd rather have some paint on there than leaving it open to attack. My plan was once I get a fair number of chips I would call someone like chips away and see if they can do a proper finish to my touch ups, which I reckon they should be able to. Oh and my car is silver so they don't stand out as much ha.gif

Man, I was looking at mine this weekend while giving it a good wax, the front of it looks like the Columia post 4th March. There's lots of little scratches down to the base white coat that stand out quite badly. rocketwhore.gif Okay, that's probably an exageration then, but it pisses me off.

[ QUOTE ]

Hopsta - How much did Chips Away charge you for doing yours? Was it lots?

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC it was £80+vat for bonnet and 2 wings plus I had a scuff mark completely redone on the underide front skirt which was a further £20+vat.

Pure beauty is they come to you and dont have to faff about with courtesy/loan cars. Plus is a hell of a lot cheaper than £250 repray from the dealer.

Graham

Sounds like Chips Away aren't too bad if you've got a few odds and sods to tidy up.

My problem is that as my car is brand new I don't want to have any chips at all on it, but probably getting them out for each one as it happen is impractical and expensive.

As a general rule, how well do Audis hold up against rust if I leave the chips, presumably the galvanised body work helps to protect it, but how long can that last?