Opinions / advise please - cameras

Smudge

I'm no expert, but I am a keen wannabe photographer. At the moment I only have my old Canon SLR, which I rarely use now, or my Samsung digital camera, which takes a great pic, but can be very limiting at times.

The GF has suggested getting me something a little more advanced for a Christmas present. I was looking at the Fuji Finepix S5500.

Prices have dropped so much that this camera replaced one I was orignally looking at, but it was around £450 at the begining of the year.

It seems to have all I want, I just wondered if anyone has an alternative that they would recomend?

Cheers

Al.

Funny you should mention that camera, cos I have it, and some pics taken with it can be found on my fotopic site (link below). It's an amazing camera, does everything you want, and as you can see, the quality is stunning. Option to do alomost everything manually, or automatic, depending on your preference. 7dayshop.co.uk Linky are doing it for £220!

Thanks for the advice guys & gals, but to be honest the S5500 is pretty much the max price wise at the mo. Which means the SLR lenses would be pretty much redundant.

The other thing that I see as a possible draw back is the flash (from what I can see it's limited to about 4m) which is built in. There doesn't appear to be a cradle for a bigger / better unit. Dr P, any comments re this?

Cheers

Al.

[ QUOTE ]

Bear in mind the altered focal length of your old lenses if you switch to a digital SLR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr... Colin, the focal length doesn't change, just because the image sensor is smaller than a 35mm frame - it's the angle of view which changes!

But yes, with the common digital sensors, the angle of view reduces by a factor of 1.6 compared to a 35mm frame, giving the impression of greater magnification.

Hence my 150 - 500mm zoom is like using a 240 - 800mm zoom! smile.gif

Pete, yes I was aware of that, just trying to explain in more laymans terms as the obvious symptom is that a 200mm lens "looks" like a 300mm when you first use it and it was the simplest way to represent a more restricted field of view.

It's a bugger as my 14mm Nikon lens now doesn't look so good at 21mm.

Smudge - can you stretch to the S7000?

I've got a predecessor to this camera (S602) which has the flash attachment if required. One of the big differences with the 7000 though (and something that comes now as standard on any decent dig camera) over my older model is the ability to take the shots as raw format. A must for the serious digital photographer.

After spending over £500 quid on the 602 over 2 years ago I'm not going to get away with buying something else for quite some time frown.gif

I want a Nikon D70 but I think I'll have to dream a little longer......

To be honest, I love photos, but digital cameras still don't do it for me.

I have a 50 megapixel camera...not which is more than 10times the resolution of a 4 megapixel device.

It's ordinary film, which I print at 5 x 7 and then scan at 1200dpi. This result in a 50 megapixel image which is required to get optimal output from a 1200dpi photo printer that I have. Many photo printers go higher than this too.

If you're looking at enlargements with "film" quality you're looking at well over 50megapixel requirement. I guess it all depends what you want, but a load of film from mx2 costs peanuts.

If you look at the fireworks pictures on my site, there are some of a crowd, which were taken in absolute complete pitch black. I couldn;t see a thing when I took the photo, but as you can see, the flash light up a huge area. I'm not 100% sure what the range is though, but certainly you can buy flashes (the technical term escapes me), that don't actually have to be physically connected to the camera to work. They just sense the existing flash, and are triggered.

Dr, the word you are looking for is slave. A normal flash lights about 6-7 feet in front of the camera, not much more.

Jaffa, are you sure you are retaining 1200dpi when you print a to 7x5 at home and rescan? Most scanner interpolate to these resolutions and you will certainly lose quality moving between the media.

[ QUOTE ]

I want a Nikon D70 but I think I'll have to dream a little longer......

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read some reviews that the D70 didn't produce as good pics a the Fuji range.... including some of the lower FinePix models!!!!!

I was going to get a D70 ( as I also have a 602Z) but I'm going to check out some new 2005 models, eg D100, E1, etc

Jaff, I don't doubt your scanner runs at a true 1200 dpi but I bet you don't actually have the detail in your 50 meg file that would exist if the original shot were taken on say a Hasselblad with a 16 mega pixel digital back. There is no way you could run 35mm through normal process and print and onto a scanner and pull off all the detail.

Anyone thinking of the D70, here are some snaps copied over from my laptop to my FTP (I'm away from home so limited choice of what I can post tonight).

Links below each to the 6 meg images so you can look at the detail and exposure. These were all taken quickly and in full auto mode.

tail_sm.jpg

Link to large tailplane image

fuselage_sm.jpg

Link to large fuselage image

steps_sm.jpg

Link to large steps image

Colin, I don't doubt your pics look great on screen...but that's only 1280x1024 which is high res...but pretty poor for printing.

I completely agree that my scanned pics don't have the detail of the original film...that's why my enlargements are printed on photo paper...not inkjet printer paper.

only 1280x1024 which is high res...but pretty poor for printing

That's screen size, not resolution. Computer monitors usually 75 dpi, you are right, a good print needs at least 300dpi but that's why I linked to the large file size so peeps could look in closer detail at what a 6 meg image from the D70 looks like.

Here's a bit of that tail picture zoomed in so you can get a closer look.

tail_detail.jpg