Ari

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A classic episode! 169144-ok.gif

Ferrari against the plane was superb. (oh look, Clarkson won, how unusual!)

The rally car versus the bobsleigh was awesome! notworthy.gif

And the older race car versus modern road car was very interesting. Good to see the Ur Quattro on ther too! cool.gif

If anyone missed it, watch the repeat Monday night, well worthwhile! laugh.gif

Is it just me - or was tonights programme crap.

Unrealistic test this versus unrealistic test that.

Not a single review of a single car - be it performance or otherwise.

We all know of the Scaglietti's virtues, but against a Jet, Swiss train and bus?

Perhaps the most interesting part was yesteryears performance vehicles versus todays high street perfornabce vehicles - but even then it served to provide nothing more than most enthusiasts already knew.

The news mentioned the new M6 - but that has been discussed on here already.

Very very disappointed. I can only presume they'd ran short of new launches or something positively useful to talk about tonight.

Personally, I think that is a shame because the first few programmes have been better than the whole of the last series which was show after show on the theme of tonights.

I just hope they haven't shown the theme for the rest of the series.

Bobsleigh v Evo? Give me a break.

Ouch.

Have a look yourself - you obviously know the new edition is out and have the web address handy from your frequent visits.

I was merely trying to stress the fact that they seemed to have lost focus on one programme - the others this series have been superb.

Now take some of that gumball (in the literal sense) - and chew on it. mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Can't disagree more!!!!

Utter garbage tonight.

Cancel the repeat showing - it was that bad I'd rather watch Fifth Gear (if only to drool over VBH).

[/ QUOTE ]

I quite enjoyed it. If you consider it as an entertainment program with cars as opposed to a purely motoring one I think it's fair enough viewing.

I not a fan of that May chap but his summary of the French "treachorous, lamb-burning, work-shy peasants" was priceless. yelrotflmao.gif

The french comments were excellent, side-splitting - don't disagree.

As an overall entertainment programme too, yes, it has a lot of merits.

But, thats why I think the programmes before tonight have been excellent. They've had superb balance.

If ONE of the special events tonight had been on, followed by the normal wit, reviews etc - then no problem.

But instead we got 3.

Bobsleigh v Evo

Past v Present

Ferrari v Jet/Train/Bus

Why all three!

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you have some constructive response instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scaglietti run was great. Proper continent bashing, something I yearn to do in the future, runs to the Alps through the night in a quick Audi Avant. Also interested to see just how bad a vibration occurs from a damaged wiper. The company I work for has just started business with Bosch so a learning curve for me with respect to those. Great to see the sublte, indirect comparison between the 612 and the DB9. The Ferrari Magneti Marelli F1 manual box seems to have come of age - not a single complaint from Clarkson. Interest that Aston Martin decided to go the fluid clutch, fully automatic route with their six speeder. Two great solutions in two great cars.

Ian C

Ian_c - I don't disagree with you. My point was, as I say above, why did they have to put all three special events in the one programme.

The continent bashing idea is superb and I too can't wait to give it a go (although I'm not sure how long my 2 year old would go before saying "are we there yet"....).

The Bobsleigh idea was a bit too close to previous Jaguar ski-ing and JC ski-ing behind a Volvo for my likes (and the latter was the worst I've ever seen on TG).

I've just realised they had 4 events tonight anyway - the Renault F1 car.

Didn't the latter just seem very crammed in???

Gotta disagree dude... For the most of us peasants, that was possibly the most fun I've had sitting in front of a television since I last saw my girlfriend. Most of the target audience aren't watching it because they want to see car reviews. - There are countless shelves of high-brow discussion about seat pockets and cup holders for cheap perusal in Smith's if you want to know how good a car is. - TG is more about petrolheads getting kicks and laughing, otherwise it would be presented by Quentin and Tiff.

James May is starting to get a bit of character and class about him, probably from hanging around with the other two for some time and being suffused with the gasoline twins (in the Arnie/DeVito sense)... Hamster is really good at delivering comedy lines and Clarkson is inimitably Clarkson!

I couldn't stop laughing when Hamster was sounding like a terrified Dalek on the bob-run, May absolutely caking his pants about doing 90, sideways on ice! The abuse of the French, the newsround... All excellent entertainment.

Housemate and I were just discussing whether we would pay the licence fee to watch Top Gear only... £5 for an hour of good quality entertainment with suitable laughter and oooooh noises eminating from the couch. (Not with g/f I hasten to add...)

This episode appealed to me more than TG has in ages. - Different audiences I guess.

It's funny, of course it is. Thats why it is still the best "motoring/entertainment" programme in the world.

I don't wanna watch Tiff and Quent - for the reasons you state.

I want to watch JC, Hammond and the increasingly funny May because they're a breath of fresh air who say it as it is....but why have so many special features in one show!!!

I don't to know about cup holders either - I want to know how one possible buy compares against another - in the performance market.

More than anything though, I want to see them in the real world (or on a track even) so I can realise just how damn quick they are!

You may be right about them not being able to please everyone everytime. Enjoyed the ones so far this series so maybe it was my turn to be disappointed.

I'll wait until next week in that case and hopefully enjoy the full hour.

Race against a plain was interesting but predictable that Clarkson would win, still entertaining to watch though, I felt the news was very weak and the comparison of old vs new was unfair, they were using rally cars against road cars were they not ???