R32 v Mk 5 GTI

NNS32

Ok I know that it's not really a 'like for like' comparison.

Took the new Golf out for a test drive on Sat whilst the R32 was in for service.

Mk5 looks have grown on me (apart from the 'XR3i circular' alloys), interior is ok although the look & feel on the dashboard plastic isn't so appealing as the Mk4.Seats goods (especially with the leather option and excellent room in the back).Handling and sheer get up & go is good and makes you want to drive it enthusiastically.

If I hadn't already bought the R32 and was looking around at a 20k car (VW have pitched the price pretty high and options like Xenons add £700+ to the spec)then I would consider one but overall, for not much more cash I've got a 3.2 V6 with much more character & rarity value that still brings a smile each time I drive it.

Anyone else driven one yet ?

Cheers

Nige 169144-ok.gif

i took out the mk5 GTI today also........

only had a quick play whilst my emmissions light was switched off (for the 3rd time in 7 days!)......

quite liked it, again, only option was leather but nailed it round a roundabout in the wet & it handled well, the chassis is nice & firm...... could do with 4 wheel drive though!! 169144-ok.gif

DSG is deffo an option, have a look on www.newgolfgti.co.uk

all in all, i reckon they'll sell bucketloads........ then it'll be common & the r32 will hit legendary status!!

did make me laugh though, apparently my dealership has billed £9k of work on my car in this month alone..... reckon i have the most expensive r32 on the planet!!.... well, at least the biggest service history!!.. roll on trade in day ices_blah.gif

cheers

ivan

[ QUOTE ]

I was told back in Nov that they weren't expecting the first ones until early Jan but dealer rang me last week just after they had taken part in a track day @ Donington to test them out - against the BMW 1 series !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

my dealer did the same, think he said they did the 1 series, new astra sxi (or whatever it's called!) and the golf gti..... said it was much fun 169144-ok.gif

ivan