GIFs don't animate anymore

Mollox

IE 6:

Very strange this - about a week ago, my PC at home started displaying GIF's as flat images. I.e. the "you have pm" little envelope doesn't flash anymore and my graemlins dont animate but just stay still. Seems to be the case with gif animations on other webpages too. Yet, for example, fatcat's walking cat (gif) animates...

Its got me flummoxed. I have "show animations" checked in IE Internet Options > Advanced.

Pissing me off now - I hate not knowing the answer to something. Help!

Cheers

inigo

come on chaps - someone must know the answer! This is really pissing me off as for some unknown reason my gifs in the message pane (i.e. right hand side of the window) don't animate, whereas those in the left (i.e. poster's name, avatar, location etc) DO animate...

I don't get it smashfreakB.gif

Also someone please have a look at my Access post in here too!!

cheers

inigo

1. Try pressing Ctrl+Shift and then click on the refresh icon (paper with 2 arrows in a circle), should reload all images on the page and replace the locally cached ones

2. Clear down your temporary internet files

3. Delete your cookies with www.tyresmoke.net in them

all else fails... format and reinstall tongue.gifFIREdevil.gif

Theres nothing on the M$ knowledge base about this.http://support.microsoft.com/

Graham

Do you have any firewall software running?

I know that Zone Alarm and Norton Personal Firewall both do funny things, and both sometimes stop the little guys from jumping around.. jump.gif

Same thing with the 'dancing girl' gifs. They worked when nothing else was confused.gif The only thing I could think of was that they were coming from a different source???

What do you see when you are writing a reply on the forum? Are all the little dudes boogieing away? They do for me, but all of them stop as soon as I click on one of them to insert it into a post smashfreakB.gif

Try disabling the firewall and trying again. Altho' my system has never recovered from zona alarm pro, even tho' I uninstalled it ages ago rocketwhore.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What do you see when you are writing a reply on the forum? Are all the little dudes boogieing away? They do for me, but all of them stop as soon as I click on one of them to insert it into a post

[/ QUOTE ]

Think that maybe a bug as i'm running a plain install of XP pro and the little fellas stop motion once i've selected one.

I'll post in the bugs of doom.

Graham

lol Graham at you describing the refresh button tongue.gif I might ask a lot of questions but i'm actually not bad with PCs tongue.gif

I just ask to learn

Now then - funny we should be talking about Zone Alarm Pro...I installed it about a week ago and since then my gifs haven't been working rocketwhore.gif Thing is I tried it with ZAP off and it stil didn't fix it. Now that I think about it I am betting that ZA has screwed my Access up too.

Jape what kind of problems did Zona Alarm cause you??

Cheers

Inigo

[ QUOTE ]

Jape what kind of problems did Zona Alarm cause you??

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do I start?! frown.gif

1. access to the net on my home network was all to sh1t - had been working fine before. Even though I had spent ages configuring ZAP to get my PC's to talk to each other - things kept falling over, and my ADSL connection was not working.

2. ZAP kept blocking the gifs - again, i had configured it to allow gifs etc, but it refused to let them.

3. PC running XP home, and the other PC running XP Pro kept locking up, and the ADSL connection (when I could get it to work) kept freezing for no reason.

4. ZAP seemd to take forever to load on startup - the whole system would literally hang for 3-4 minutes (on a 3GHz machine shocked.gif) whilst the ZAP module was loading.

Altogether a shocking piece of software which obviously has 'issues' with XP rocketwhore.gif

I got shot of it a few weeks back - upgraded to a DSL router with inbuilt firewall yesterday. Everything is working perfectly now. laugh.gif

Suggest you do the same and uninstall ZAP. It really is not worth the hassle SPericani2.gif

PS - Norton personal firewall is better. It tends to run less obtrusively. PM me and I can point you towards a cheap *ahem* source for the software wink.gif

Prize goes to Jape for pointing out the Zone Alarm issue. Disabled their ad protection which seemed to be blocking the gifs....

At least i thought it did - i can see more gifs now, including the ones I couldn't see on here. Except that now my pm envelope doesn't animate any more.

Also I have a cookie issue here too - can't get into hotmail cos appparently my browser isn't allowing cookies, even though I have set it to allow them and disabled cookie controls in Zone Alarm. What a pile of shite Zone Alarm is.

I am running Norton Antivirus 2001 and Zone Alarm Pro.

What the hell do i do? Am tempted to just uninstall both and buy Norton Internet Security Pro....is this a solution?

Will this class as an upgrade from Norton AntiVirus 2001 or do I have to buy the full product??

This is really pissing me off - I feel like i've fecked my computer just by installing the "pro" version of a firewall when i had to trouble with the bloody free version frown.gif

help!