IMPORTANT ! Laser Jammer Users... (PLEASE READ)

Paul

Thanks to 55JWB on the TT-Forum for this heads up..

FIREdevil.gifFIREdevil.gifFIREdevil.gif

Big heads up Boys n Girls......

December 2004

A friend of mine who has been using a jammer for over 4 years got arrested this week. (Dec 04)

Here is the story of what happened.

At 6 am a police car and a low loader turned up outside his home. He was arrested and the car was loaded on to the low loader. He was taken to the local police station, his car was taken to the police vehicle inspection unit. The jammer was tested to see if it jammed, as you can expect it did. The jammer was removed, 50min job.

In the mean time my friend was questioned and then was charged with "perverting the course of justice". The worrying part is this. He had been seen in one county by a laser camera van that could not get his speed. A few months later he had been seen in another county by a separate safety camera van again it could not get his speed.

This then sparked the event at 6 am .... How you ask..

It has turned out, after speaking to several contacts in the police force, they have had the camera equipment software modified to photograph any vehicle that throw up an error, any error. When the video is checked at the camera units base and an error is reported the event is logged as a warning flag on the PNC database (police database).

When another camera van operator takes his video back to base to check over, if he discovers an error he will check on the PNC database to see if there are any warning flags on that vehicle.

If there are no flags on the PNC for that car then one is added. If the PNC has a flag on it saying they have had a problem in the past they will investigate further. This was the case for my friend and the guy in Northampton

To make matters worse my friend was not speeding on both occasions.

As I have said he was charged and then bailed to reappear. I let you know the outcome in late January.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had a chance today to talk to several police forces and the DoT and they can confirm this is what they have all been doing. It is because the DoT wanted to know just how many jammers were in use in the UK. The belief is that there are over a million jammers fitted to cars in the UK. I think this figure is a little high but you never know.

This work has been conducted to gather data prior to the proposed application for a ban in January 2005. If the ban goes through its expected to take effect within 6 months.

The ban will cover, Radar Detectors and Laser jammers. GPS will be safe as they have no intention to ban them.

More HERE

I'll just be sticking to my GPS then. smashfreakB.gif

Not sure Scooby,

the above it just a straight cut and paste job, mainly to highlight the new actions they appear to be taking on laser jammers in particular.

but agreed, I cant see how a radar detector, that isnt jamming anything, can be flagged up.

Thing is radar isnt used much these days anyway, its nearly all laser as far as I know.

frown.gif This ties in with what the policeman told me a few weeks back when I stopped for a chat with him in his mobile camera van after my Snooper didn't get triggered. He told me the only way to stop him getting a reading was with a laser jammer - but if he couldn't get a reading then after reviewing the tape, someone would turn up at my house to confiscate the jammer unit....

[ QUOTE ]

Radar detectors are simply receivers operating the respective radar bands. You can't detect them with anything, but they are usually quite visible in the windscreen of the owners vehicle so if they were pulled for anything else and the detector was spotted, then they'd get done.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that having a dector was not illegal as it is just that. A device for sampling radio waves confused.gif

Will be interested to see the outcome to this. Perverting the course of justice is a new take on the jammer technology.

Speaking from an outsiders point of view I would be surprised if they can make that charge stick, but I dont have any legal training so not sure.

If they could prove that he was speeding then maybe, but the cant and if he really wasnt its going to be difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt that any justice was to be served on him, in which case how can he pervert it confused.gif

It is important to remember it is not illegal to jam a laser* in this country, technically I guess you can jam as many lasers as you want, it is however illegal to jam radar.

* This is from research on websites, which could be wrong.

I think to exploit the ambiguity has always been to have some reason other than jamming to justify the device. If you have a garage door opener but your garage is not automated then it is a little hard to argue.

I am not sure about them photographing & recording cars which have not broken the law though - is it legal to record details like this or does that break data protection etc?

[ QUOTE ]

is it legal to record details like this or does that break data protection etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it, it is public information

same thing applies for TV coverage, TV Co's do not have to ask your permission to broadcast your image.

Anyway, the data protection act / legislation is about protecting information about you, not protecting the individual from having information collected on them. So, if you know an organisation has infomation on file about you, you can ask for a copy and (in most cases, but there are some exclusions) you will be given it,.

However, if you don't know an organisation has you on file, you cannot ask for a copy.....

[ QUOTE ]

Jamming not alowed. Detection I thought was OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it the law specificly relates to radar jamming, I assme this law doesnt realte to driving at all and is for flying/war reasons. I think they just try to adapt this law to fit the case, which is what used to happen to radar detectors until a judge overturned it which is why radar detectors are allowed today. Don't think the law mentions anything about lasers so as I said before you should be able to jam as many lasers as you like just for fun laugh.gif

No matter where we are now, by middle of next year everything of this nature will be clearly illeagal, even passive devices. GPS based warning devices OK, but unclear if something like the new Road Angel (with laser detector feature incorporated) will get hammered.

That's a severe bummer to have the police show up at his door like that. Believe me, the powers-that-be in the US are looking at what Europe is doing with speed cameras and seeing dollar signs. Some states already use them, and fortunately Ohio isn't one of them -- yet!

As for the legality of detectors and jammers on this side of the pond, radar jammers are banned in every state, laser jammers are legal in some. Radar and laser detectors are allowed in most states, but there are a few that choose to ban them, despite the right to monitor the airwaves.

Now Canada does not allow detectors of any kind, and they (at least according to rumor) use a device which can detect the detector. Friends of mine, unaware of this rule, were caught using a radar detector in Ontario, and were hit with a heavy fine and their $300 detector was confiscated.

I don't really understand what right the authorities have to outlaw radar detectors, as they are simply monitoring open airwaves. However, the notion of "rights" is a foreign concept to most people in charge here.

[ QUOTE ]

As I understand it the law specificly relates to radar jamming,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite! Radar jammers are illegal because they are unlicensed wireless transmitters. I don't believe that there is any current law relating specifically to jammers for radar speed guns.

[ QUOTE ]

I assme this law doesnt realte to driving at all and is for flying/war reasons. I think they just try to adapt this law to fit the case, which is what used to happen to radar detectors until a judge overturned it which is why radar detectors are allowed today. Don't think the law mentions anything about lasers so as I said before you should be able to jam as many lasers as you like just for fun

[/ QUOTE ]

The point here being that the laser is using infra red transmission, just outside of the visible spectrum - there is no law which prohibits you from shining invisible light from a 'torch'! Otherwise, radiant heaters would be outlawed!

I am seriously considering changing my existing 'door opener' for a full LT450 installation - this includes the remote device to add to your garage door/gates/light/whatever.

The next option is one of the adaptive cruise control systems which use infra red to gauge the distance to the car in front - or are these to be outlawed???

[ QUOTE ]

to be honest i dont see how the likes of GPS based warning systems and road angle could be banned , if anything as the advert says it warns you of accident black spots, 169144-ok.gif (were they hide the cameras )

[/ QUOTE ] Yes this is true.... they claim fewer accidents....

Riz confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

That's a severe bummer to have the police show up at his door like that. Believe me, the powers-that-be in the US are looking at what Europe is doing with speed cameras and seeing dollar signs. Some states already use them, and fortunately Ohio isn't one of them -- yet!

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy solution to the cameras in the States. Shoot the bleeding thing until it falls over and then pepper it with lead!

Camera gone.

After all, it is your right to bear arms..........(and use them!!!) jump.gif

Now, where did I put my .44 automatic magnum? (even better, a 20 mm Aden cannon)