How long to do "proper job"

Domus

Got my 3 part Meguiars stuff on Saturday. (Thanks Bushy) not used it yet, how long should I need to set aside to do the MX-5? It's new, 1400 miles, but Black so it shows EVERY speck of dust frown.gif Just given her a quickie, after her trip to foreign parts (Yorkshire) yelrotflmao.gif so I may give her a proper do at weekend.

The first time I did my A4 with all 3 stages of Meguiars, it took me 4-5 hours to do the whole _outside_ job (including washing & drying).

Agree with Bushy - probably 3 hours max to complete it, but it does depend on how much time you spend rubbing in each stage. I get a bit fanatical to try to remove the swirls (without much success, I might add), so it takes me longer.

[ QUOTE ]

The first time I did my A4 with all 3 stages of Meguiars, it took me 4-5 hours to do the whole _outside_ job (including washing & drying).

Agree with Bushy - probably 3 hours max to complete it, but it does depend on how much time you spend rubbing in each stage. I get a bit fanatical to try to remove the swirls (without much success, I might add), so it takes me longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of people complain of swirls, i feel you shouldnt have any

What are you using to buff the polish off with?

Maybe you should try the Meguiars Cotton towel, superb

I am using the Meguiars cotton towel.

The problem is that the swirls were already there (presumably from the washing), but the Meguiars stage1 didn't seem to remove them.

I've got some Scratch-X now, which I'll try when the weather picks up a bit.

Next car's gonna be silver so you can't see the pesky swirls even if they are there!

Probably takes me 8 to 10 hours to do a full job.. but I am a 'bit' [i wish laugh.gif] of a perfectonist !!

eg) I even get down to polish the exhaust pipes and clean the engine bay.

Scratch X is frigging superb and will deal with most minor scratches really well. The interior cleaner is also really good as is their wax.

I use Zymol for my final coat.. it's too expensive for some, but the finish and protection is just top class. I reserve this just for the '6.

I use meguires everything on the Zafira and it works a treat.

Dave

Had a few hours to spare today, so tried out the 3 step system. Washed the S3 with Gold Class shampoo, dried with blade then Meguiars super towel. Used the clay bar with detailer, not too sure of correct technique. The clay is now VERY dirty, how do I clean it? Then on to the old 3 step, is the first step any different to the body scrub? I then put the car in the garage as the sun came out shocked.gif Put on the polish all over, is that the right way? Then the wax, very creamy, a good buff with the big towel and finally the super wiper. Cleaned the windows in and out with Nilglass. After all that just gave the wheels a quick wipe over (I was knacked) 3+ hours. Was it worth it, not too sure, doesn't look THAT much better than it did before. Maybe it was me not rubbing hard enough, how much is enough? Put all the towels and wipes in the washer. How do I clean the applicators? Do I need to? All these questions confused.gif

Clay Bar

Spray the panel you are going to do liberally with detailer, then massage the clay bar so it is warm, spray some detailer on it for luck then rub it over the panel making sure it is suitably lubricated with detailer. As the clay gets dirty keep turning it over, kneading it as required

There is not really any way to clean the clay, that i know off but it should still work well if you keep massaging it, bearing in mind it only needs doing once or twice a year

Make sur eyou wrap it in some cling film once finished to keep it fresh

3 stage

Body scrub is different and has more of a mechanicla action than cleaner.

the look isnt THAT much better but lasts MUCh longer and comes up like it has just been done when you wash it

Good review though beerchug.gif

How could I ever doubt you Bushy, notworthy.gif washed the S3 this morning, sooooo easy with it being waxed. The water from the hose just ran off, quick wash with the old Gold class. Fantastic. Also did the old 3 step on the MX-5, phew.

The 5 has one of the new fabric hoods what do you recomend?