25h Anni Tuning

25thAnni

I'm after some help chaps !

Now my Anni is nearing the end of it warranty i fancy doing some mods & want to change the air filter (first things first!) laugh.gif I've been reading up on them & don't know whether to go with induction kit or element. I know the induction will get better response and increased Bhp but i've also heard theres a real noise increase (which i don't quite want) frown.gif Any one got any ideas ?

Don't go for a stock in-engine bay induction kit, as the 'real' tests have proven them to give no real gains in HP. Mainly becuase they are not being supplied with cold air, rather warm air from the engine bay - which is not what we want.

Even with a heat shield they don't give the HP increases the manufacturers claim - afterall how many of us drive about with the bonnet open with a big ol' fan blowing in cold air, as per the RR tests.

Cold Air Induction kits are supposed to be better as the name suggests they supply cold air to the engine, and a panel filter will improve flow and probably throttle response but doubtful if you'll get more the 1hp from one.

K&N typhoon is supposed to be a good un, but it seems to have a design flaw. The inlet pipe is made from metal which as we know conducts heat and therefore it will warm the air in the pipe before it gets to the engine.

From all accounts the Carbonio CAI is a nice piece of kit with real world gains. Its got a carbon-fibre intake.... BigMeanb0b on here has one as does 50p, so they'll be able to advise, or call Awesome GTi as they stock this item.

smile.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

In terms of bang for buck, every £ you spend on air filters, spark plugs etc will pale into insignificance compared to the tangible, joyous benefits of a proper remap!

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. But re-maps affect isurnace much more than filters, exhausts and the like. Plus, and I'm all for re-maps, when re-mapping a car and gaining another 40bhp + you really want to do the suspension, wheels and brakes, plus you'll need a zorst for the gases and probably a filter to get the best breathing for the new settings.

But, Mollox is right ££ for ££, re-map gets the best power you can buy smile.gif169144-ok.gif

Yes, quite right, Insurance-friendliness is not something I'd considered. Oops wink.gif

However, I think that provided you are a considerate (to your car) driver and don't put yourself at the mercy of your brakes/suspension/tyres on a daily basis, you can quite easily get away with a Stage 1 chip and no other modifications.

IMHO of course smile.gif

Cheers lads, I priced up the Carbonio option & its £165, seems tad expensive when for another say £300 squids i can go for 215 bhp chip upgrade. I might just go for chip then go for a cold air kit. I managed to find a thread that was comparing induction kits to modded OEM air boxes which was very interesting.

Also i'm sure the Anni's brakes & suspension & clutch will definatley be OK for up to about 230 bhp. Am i right in saying you can get a chip thats undetectable by VW so it won't invalidate my warranty ?

They'll be able to detect the upgrade if you drop it into the dealer with the altered code in the ECU, but you can get it switched back to the existing code (some retain old code) so just prior to taking it in for warranty work you get it swtiched back.

A re-map is the best option but will need to be declared and depending on who you insure with they may not like it.

With Admiral / Bell, up to 10% power hike they don't care about aftermarket parts except the re-map, so exhaust will cost a few ££s as its non standard ( they wanted £30 for my R) but the power increase doesn't matter, 11 - 25% they want EXTAR £££s, and above 25% they don't do, or at least not on the R32.

For best results with remap you should opt for some sort of exhaust and filter otherwise your missing out on some power smile.gif

Need to call your insurer and find out how they veiw these sorts of things.