error codes

davidhodgkinson

Not sure if the codes are the same across models, but my Bentleys CD for the A6 says:

17978 - Control Module locked - perform adaptation for immobilizer to ECM

16500 - Engine Coolant Temp. Circ. - Check Engine Coolant Temperature sensor

Don't know whether that helps!

[ QUOTE ]

Not sure if the codes are the same across models, but my Bentleys CD for the A6 says:

17978 - Control Module locked - perform adaptation for immobilizer to ECM

16500 - Engine Coolant Temp. Circ. - Check Engine Coolant Temperature sensor

Don't know whether that helps!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a feeling this is the tempreture sensor at fault, I have the same problem on my A3T with the error code stored. Dealers seem to be aware of the necessity to replace the sensor when the error code appears, even if you don't complain.

Spoken with other people suffering the same fault, and some who confirm that replacement of the sender unit fixes the fault....so I'm starting to know the symptoms quite well.

Gambba, does your car suffer from a mis-fire, or is it the immobilizer that's causing the problem on mine?

I'll get the sensor anyway, but I've had the dash replaced a few months back, so if that is causing the mis-fire I chase up the supplier that fitted it.

Just a note, drove the car 30 miles today & no problems or errors. Will look again tomorrow after a few hours driving!

Well, on my car it's a very intermitent fault and sometimes it's only a pain in the arse to start and with erratic idle, other times it stalls at the lights just after start up and on other occasions it seems like it's completely gutless and then boom feels like the turbo's kicked in.

When it does start I can distinctly smell that there's been fuel there, so it can't be the immobiliser.

I haven't changed my yet.....because I crashed my car in the meantime, and only get it back on Friday, but I've got a good feeling it will solve the problems I'm having.

But I will be changing at the weekend, along with some other things I've been meaning to do.