Wheel Alignment..

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend anywhere in the Essex region who do 4 wheel alignment for a decent price?

Have just called Extreme in Harlow quoted an initial £58 and couldn't quote for the work as it depended on what needed do be done.

Elite in Rainham quoted £82.19 all in.

Can anyone reccommend anywhere else to try?

Cheers

Neal.

Extreme in Harlow have been mentioned before, I have the same problem, but in the north of the county.

I may well end up going to my local vag dealer and getting them to do it.

My enquires have led me to believe that whilst all the centres want your trade, too few have the correct data for my 'recent' O2 A3.

In some ways it may be trial and error with an unknown outlet, but with a VAG dealer at least you get better odds at getting the job done right first time. (fingers crossed)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guy's not been on here for a while...

I am booked in at Elite on Saturday. I will discuss the quote once the work has been done.

I believe Fatcat's car has the same setup as mine, so would assume the same adjustments need to be done...

It all started when the RSTT's went on... sometimes the steering wheel shakes quite erratically especially cornering fast. need to fix this ASAP!

I'll let you know how I get on Saturday!

Neal.

[ QUOTE ]

It all started when the RSTT's went on... sometimes the steering wheel shakes quite erratically especially cornering fast. need to fix this ASAP!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds bad Neal, I did'nt experience this when my new wheels went on - were yours already balanced ?

Lets us know of the outcome.

• 3 months later...

Any advance on this ?

I have the same symptoms on my A4 cabriolet, coupled with a 'pull' on the steering wheel on slowing. To me (going by the manual) this appears to be an alignment issue (would it make sense for it to come on only after 1000 miles on a new car?), but I'm having trouble getting the service dept to tell me whether they've looked at it or not (they drove it round the block, put it 'up on the ramp' and returned it saying it's fine, but I still get the steering wheel shake).

Be interested to know what the follow up to the above posts was.

I had a tyre garage do my alignment when the tyres were changed but it they couldn't adjust it properly, why i don't know?

Audi did it for approx £120 inc VAT and use some 'sophisticated' VAG system which no one else has and the fancy print out they give you is meant to make you feel like you have just had good value for money. Naturally i left the dealer with the usual ripped off feeling!

But i enjoy driving the S3 and i didn't want to scrub the new rubber for the sake of not getting it aligned properly.

I will be interesting to see how you get on at a non-VAG place (for next time).

Yes,

My car was indeed unbalanced. I took it t Elite in Rainham, Essex and they did a 4 wheel re-alignment for a very good price (can't remember now) under 50 quid...

the two fronts were toeing in too much which explained the vibration etc...

a job very well done by Elite, very impressed, got a printout aswell.

Neal.

Same here - had mine done yesterday, some toeing on front wheels, camber on one rear one.

The difference in handling is astonishing - completely 'cured', not only of vibration but also the side-to-side rocking, and the steering 'pull' on slowing.

I was expecting some of these (the rocking) to be a separate problem, but perhaps the suspension was being thrown off by the alignment and causing secondary problems.

Anyway, all gone now and the car is fun to drive again smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Thanks for providing the example/encouragement to try this route - beerchug.gif I'd already tried comlpaining about the change in ride to Audi, who said they'd "had it up on the ramp" (whatever that means - certainly no alignment printout) and found nothing wrong. rocketwhore.gif

Had it done at Biltons, near Hanger Lane, NW London.

Non-VAG, but they had the A4 B6 settings available on the software (from the printout I notice they used 'standard suspension' because I forgot to tell them mine is Sport, but it seems to have worked fine anyway).