Steering wheel play in 1991 A6

djh01002

Recently purchased used 1999 A6 with 42,000 miles on it. What I have noticed that seems strange is that you can move the steering wheel side to side and it will not effect the tire direction. Local dealership said play may develop in steering system as car ages. I can see a little play but this just doesn't seem right. Anybody have an idea about what might be going on and what I may suggest to have Audi repair person look at.

both worn steering racks (plus steering boxes) and worn track rod ends can cause this. The latter is usually a vague detatched feeling when driving, a kind of wandering feeling. The former is more like you describe but I'd be surprised at such a low mileage.

excessive steering play will only be evident in extremly high mileage cars only and definately should not be there ina 42,000mls Audi !! Have it checked out and be prepared for a shock if the steering rack is worn. These are NOT cheap and labour is expensive too. Have you got any warranty with the car ??