M3Me's NEW GOLF GTi REVIEW

NewNiceMrMe

No, I won't shoot anyone down, you're all entitled to your views and indeed the review is there to stimulate debate.

I will say one thing though...

I've driven one, and for a good while. How many of you have?

Sorry - but it is a very pertinent and relevant point!

My review was genuinely neutral - I even discounted the price from £25 to £20k.

It makes no difference, IMO, the car still isn't worth it.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok hows about this.

Rear wheel drive

Gorgeous 2.0 Straight 6

Excellent Build quality

Standard DVD sat-nav

Leather interior

Heated seats

Superb stereo

Bags of standard equipment

Great handling

A Real quality luxury car.

The Lexus IS200

I bet a good few people would want one of those over a Golf GTI if they knew they could pick it up for 20k as an alternative. No its not a 3 door boy racer car but all the better for it even if your young, rear wheel drive and a class straight six anyday of the week surely ?!?!

It would leave it for dead to that I wouldn't disagree.

Had one as a company car for a few years and it was fantastic as was the dealer service.

Then engine IMO is an absoulute peach and far far better than My or the GTIs engine for aural pleasure, a big thing for me in a car. Chassis / Handling was also great with little or no understeer and could be pushed very hard on a circuit before it went awol. But it did have its faults, it wasn't enjoyable pushing the last 20% however well it did it, the Sportback is much better in that respect.

[ QUOTE ]

Ok hows about this.

Rear wheel drive

Gorgeous 2.0 Straight 6

Excellent Build quality

Standard DVD sat-nav

Leather interior

Heated seats

Superb stereo

Bags of standard equipment

Great handling

A Real quality luxury car.

The Lexus IS200

[/ QUOTE ]

Alan Partridge had one. Flush.gif

Image14.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Ari, I'm not listening or reading anything else from you on this subject until I know you've been in one!

Even if it isn't driving it!! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dropping my car in for a service tomorrow so if I have time I promise to toddle across to the VW garage opposite and see if they've got one and if so I'll have a sit in it. 169144-ok.gif

My review/thoughts are based on the fact that I've driven one for 2 days.

But........ they are fecking expensive when you look around at what else is there. I'd rather have my A4 over a GTi with options on it as they are similar priced.

But I think the GTi is better than a lot of hot hatches, prices aside.

Isn't this another typical VW inflated prices stance until they suddenly realise it's OTT?

I looked at one today, just for M3me! 169144-ok.gif

And I genuinely loved it! I enjoy my cabrio very very much and I wouldn't want to give up soft top motoring, but if I wasn't that bothered I could definitely see the Golf GTI at the top of my shopping list.

The car was a bright red demo car parked on the forecourt. Manual gearbox, black leather, heated seats, not a lot else as far as I could see.

I loved the look of the car (seemed to have a different stance to the "cooking" version in the showroom). I loved the subtle but modern and classy interior. I liked the slope of the dash around the stereo, the stereos big display, the three climite control nobs with inset buttons (looked excellent, felt good to use). I liked the blue dash lighting, the pedal details, the interior lighting, the shape and comfort of the seats, everything. I don't think I could find anything to criticise at a quick scout round.

This car, or a Renault Megane for £900 less? Don't make me laugh. The Vdub is a bargain in comparison.

If it drives as well as it looks/feels (and all the reviews, including the one at the start of this thread suggest it does) then VW have hit the nail bang slap dead centre for their target audience.

For the young or young at heart urban professional seeking discreet classy practical transport with a bit of serious performance bite then this car is it. It has taken over where the Audi S3 left off. And remember, that was a classy £25K hot hatchback too.

Very very impressed. 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

Oh, forgot to say, the car was clearly being run as the company car for one of the staff, who leaves one or two of his "toys" on board.

The salesgirl told me "it has a great feature in that it knows what the speed limit is of the road you're driving and bleeps if you go over it, I'm not sure if thats standard".

No luv, thats the Road Angel suckered onto the windscreen and plugged into the fag lighter! ROLLEY~14.GIF

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree that the new Golf GTI is overpriced. I went for a test drive last week and, whilst I agree that it's a super car to drive with great throttle response, it does look a bit too much like other golfs for my money. It just doesn't distinguish itself enough. Likewise, I found the plastics on the centre console very cheap looking indeed. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the Civic Type R build quality is slightly superior; likewise, the Civic Type R's interior sparkles more than the Golfs. The Golf is very dull inside and could have done with more aluminium effect trim on the centre console.

£19,995 would have been a fair price for the golf if it had leather seats and xenon lights included for that money. As it is, £25k is far too much for a well equipped golf ... in fact it's stupid. For that kind of money, you have to be looking at a top spec Mazda RX8, a really good used BMW 330ci or a good used TT 3.2 DSG. Alternatively, wait for the Vauxhall Astra VXR in August 2005, which may well be more of an enthusiasts car and have a much better spec for it's £19,995 list price.

What are VW playing at? My advice would be to wait for 6 months and see if the price comes down. What with the mortgage crisis looming, people may well vote with their feet and not buy. Whatcar give a target price for the golf of £18895, but none of my dealers would budge from the list price. If they'd been willing to knock a grand off then I may have been willing to buy, but as it is I refuse to be ripped off by greedy Germans.

Hi Ashbags, and welcome to the board.

I've had a Honda, I'm sorry, they may look pretty but they don't have the same depth of quality as a good German car. Plus the Vtec engine, whilst fabulous when wound up to the top of the dial on a circuit or a rare empty road simply doesn't provide the same useful low down real world torque of a good turbo 2.0 litre. You soon get fed up with revving the nuts off them I promise.

And yes, you could get a second hand TT or 330i, but they're second-hand! Point at any new car and I can tell you which better cars are out there second-hand.

And a Vauxhall instead for the same money? Ask yourself this, what will the Golf be worth in 3 years, and what will the Vauxhall be worth? I'd suggest the Vauxhall is a much more expensive ownership proposition when you factor in residuals.

As for VW having to drop the price cos no one is buying them, take a look at the Golf GTI forum of this site and all the people with orders placed waiting for delivery.

Sorry, no one has yet come up with a better all round hot hatch quality package for circa £20K. Cars with more speed, sure, more toys, yup. But as an all round quality desirable package there's nothing to touch it.