[Audi A3/S3] RS3 - Deposit placed!

danksy

He phoned a woman at Audi Milton Keynes, who told him that there were no concrete plans as yet, but if it were going to happen then it would be at least 2004 crazy.gif

Still having said that I am annoyed with myself for not getting an R32, when I had the chance a few months ago confused.gif so this time i thought i'd take the plunge! ha.gifSMOKE6.GIF

Guys, don't waste your money on paying deposits to dealers for a car that isn't even confirmed yet. There are no concrete plans therefore the dealers have no idea of their future allocations. What does the deposit do? First come first served? How many deposits would a dealer take before he said he might not be able to serve his allocation (initial supplies of the R32 were limited to 4-5 per dealer).

Unless he can give you a firm idea of the build date, then don't line his pockets. Make sure he is very aware of your interest and he is straight on the blower when allocations come through, but putting down serious money for a pipe dream is just playing into their hands and negating any bargaining position you ever had!

jump.gif

but seriously - if they said " the car will start production in Jan 2005, our first deliveries will arrive in March 2005 and if you give me a deposit you will be 2nd on our list guaranteed" that is worth £500

otherwise they are extracting large quantities of urine

I'll register with my dealer but I'm not paying any dosh - presumably the fact I am an existing customer driving an S3 will be enough to convince I am a serious punter

I put a deposit and order in on a 1.8T Cabrio the day they were first announced some four months prior to launch, but I'd seen and driven a 2.4 Cabrio and a 1.8T saloon so I was pretty confident about what I was expecting to get, and I wanted one of the first.

I'd struggle with the concept of pre-ordering something that I couldn't get any angle on how it would be (imagine if you'd commited to a RS Focus and then when it was launched discovered the terrible torque steer!) and struggle even more with the concept of putting a deposit on something that is neither confirmed or has a launch date, or even a confirmed price!

Appreciate the deposit is no doubt refundable, but I think I'd want to wait till I at least had a launch date and a spec and price...

[ QUOTE ]

They told me they will contact me to take an order from me once they have firm build dates, specs etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly how they should be doing business. A deposit sorts the men from the boys when it comes to ordering a car, but taking deposits on a pipe dream is just local dealers greed.

Yeah but I got a nice RS6 book, and a promise of a long test drive in the DSG TT when he gets his first one in!

It's only £500 so its not going to break the bank. I am sure that Audi given its costly track record of recalls (coilpacks, suspension etc.) and their long standing criticism of handling will take the opportunity to get things correct. Also the new A3 platform will be available from July, so theres plenty of time to sort out any major issues.

If I get an "early" RS3, unless its a complete dog, I should be able to run it virtually depreciation proof for a few months! grin.gif

Ha......yeah. It wouldnt be an Audi if it didnt have flaws. There will be problems just different ones, you know it and you will love moaning about the problems on here with other like minded individuals.

Five hundred notes for a sales book and a ride in a car is a lot of money. You can borrow my car for a whole day and have an old copy of Evo for £450, have we got a deal. cool.gif

Audi RS cars are built by quattro gmbh......... so really the reliability is a different issue, quattro gmbh have a much more strenious quality control method.

They even buy the bodyshells and pay for the time used from Audi GmbH, quattro GmbH have different goals and aims, with its own profit targets, completely different company really smile.gif

Lets hope that the RS3 hits production.

p.s. im on the waiting list and didnt have to pay £500 too smile.gif

wasnt going to either, considering that it will probably be easy to import one! smile.gif

Is this like Skoda and Seat are different companies to Audi but the cars look the same inside.

So its Quattro's fault for the dodgy Audi RS4 wheels and not Audis.

Ahh dont you love group structures and service level agreements.......Blah Blah Blah......there all Audis, its just fancy marketing you ever seen the episode of The Simpsons with the tour of the Duff Beer factory, when they show the separate bottling of Lady Duff, Duff Lite, and Original Duff, and then they follow the pipes back from the bottling plant to one big tank of Duff Beer......well thats your Skodas, Seat, VWs and Audis all going back to one big parts bucket in Germany.

Why have a guy in Spain making a door handle for a Seat differently to a guy making a door handle in Germany for an Audi. Make the handles the same and sack the guy in Germany (because he probably earns more to)and send the door handles from Spain to Germany. Bingo. PROFIT.

LOL, i see your point but there are `real` differences.

Yes they do share parts but not really every single part!

There`s enough of a `real` car there to make a difference, the brand names obviously have different price structures, but i really think that each car has its own appeal..... a S3 is a S3 and a Golf 4motion is a Golf 4motion.

quattro GmbH is solely for the ultimate top of the range models. purely aimed with performance inmind and with the everyday practacality!

quattro GmbH use Cosworth Technologys to do most of the engine and suspension work (RS6) then the engine is shipped part build to Germany, each RS6 is subjected to rigerous tests and even laser checked on a rolling road at 110mph then its test driven 50miles around the streets near the factory.

Once the `S` cars used to be the top of the range, but now quattro GmbH is taken on this role to compete against AMG and BMW`s M devisions.

So far i think they`ve done a pretty good job jump.gif

Let`s hope the make a RS3 smile.gif

jeez they've sucked you in Riz fuck_scott.gif

but seriously you are fooling yourself and falling for marketing bollocks if you think an RS is omehow builkt by a different company

quattro GmbH is a wholly-owned subsidairy of Audi aG and as such it wouldn't so much as fart before asking its parents permission.

Audi will try to present it as an exclusive boutique to justify the large premium for essentially a few body and component changes. I honestly don't reckon the RS cars I have driven felt any better built than my S3 or my TS before that. They were all excellent.

The small numbers of RS that are built means it is economically viable to shift production from the main factory to another one. Like any good business Audi will want to judge the performance of a division by making it a profit centre - let it keep RS sales money and charge it a transfer price - std business/accounting practice.

when it comes to handing out this year's budget Audi will consider claims from quattro GmbH v normal models and deal out the dosh as it sees fit

personally wouldn't be surprised if quattro GmbH is only profitable if you take into account the "halo effect" it has on lesser models

that said I and many others will continue to pay the premium for a car that feels a bit special - I am definitely interested in an RS3 but couldn't give a stuff which Audi factory its built in as long as it is a good product and they fit brakes for a change ROLLEY~14.GIF

On a side note, Aston Martin's new AMV8 which made its concept debut at Detroit early this year and was show as a more production ready car at Geneva looks nice. 911 rival at about £60K. Aston Martin wont take deposits yet (and this is in a much more advanced state that the RS3) but will only put your name down on the waiting list and contact you nearer the time, which is 2005.

• 5 weeks later...

Despite the better judgement from my conscience, I've put my name down for one of these babies.. no cash handed over just a preliminary interest and will need to firm up order as and when 'official' figures etc come out. Then i'll be giving it some more serious thought and of course comparing prices with Colin wink.gif I'm 2nd on the list apparently.

Also got myself in for the A3 3.2 launch day at Whitehouse Aylesford which should be in the next couple of months cool.gif

Graham

Not too worried about the list Matt and yes it was Whitehouse Audi... just got my name down for the mo anyhow. I'll see where I stand as and when then prices come out. Didnt need a deposit now as i'm a previous customer etc etc and I appeared to know more then they did ! Ah the internet is a marvelous thing ices_blah.gif