2001 A6 2.8 (tiptronic) Braking Problem

Imtiaz

I would like to know if anyone has experienced any braking problems on A6. I bought the car brand new and at 7000 mls the car started vibrating when braking particularly from high speeds. My audi dealer machined the rotors and the problem went away. At 12000mls the problem re-occured and the dealer replaced all 4 rotors. At 19000 mls the problem again reoccured and the dealer once again machined the front rotors. The car now has 26000 mls and it is once again in the shop. The dealer is replacing the 2 rear rotors and machining the front rotors.

I live in Northern California (which isn't hilly) and have never taken the car off road, neither do I race the car which would require excessive braking. In fact the pads have a 40% life and according to the dealer they last around 30000 mls. This tells me that I am not braking excessively. I strongly believe that the pads are faulty, and as a result are ruining the rotors, but the dealer and audi tells me that they cannot replace the pads since they have 40% life. I do not want to end up with a lemon at the end of the warranty period and have to do brake job every 5000 mls. Does anyone have any idea on how I can resolve this problem? Much appreciated...

Thank

Imtiaz

I have a 2001 A6 4.2 and I have been having the exact same problem with my brakes. I now have 63K miles and have had four sets of rotors on the front and one on the rear. I could have had more but I drove with the pulsation for many miles before reporting it a few times. I am currently investigating the lemon law because I have also had the check engine light come on over 50 different times.

Go to the lemon law web site and click on the state that you reside in. There should be a way to contact them and they will want a copy of your original purchase contract and all receipts that you have regarding the work done. My documentation will be getting to the attorneys early this week and then I will know if I have a legitimate case. Reply to me with your info. if you want to talk live.