It appeas I have grown up..

BURTON

.. with my attitude towards cars in general!

I went to the VW Club meet at a Pub called The Tiles Last night. See the boys and have a chat. Better than staying in. But when I got home I wish I hadn't of gone!

No wonder the club hardly has any members. There was the usual banter etc.. 2dr jetta panels was said about 5 times! Do to me buying them for a project and then having the project not go ahead. It was interesting to here about Wolfsburg factory as one of the blokes there, his brother works there. Anyway.. we went outside and they had a look at my M5 as they had not seen it yet.. Then they started saying its got no leather and this and that.... basically picking at her. I told them that I didn't want leather and wanted the car to have this and this. Which is a tall order when looking for a old car to try and get everything you want on the car. Bigger Brakes and 6spd where the only things that I couldn't get. So I took them out in the M as they had been sitting in the car anyway. They then said started to say it wasn't fast, didn't seem to steer well etc.. Golf R32 was better.

It wouldn't be overly fast with 3 other blokes in the car, steering is so nice and precise and I was not going to push it like in the Golf and start hooning around as then its crunch time do to the roads being very slippery. I just couldn't believe there attitude! For men who are alot older than me they acted like they are Leannes(g/f) brother Ben's age (14). They are so blinkered, don't see past the brand of VAG I don't think they even had one nice thing to say about it!!! I know there cars are not as quick etc but is that jealousy? Lets just say i won't be going to the club night again! The VW Club night has lost all its appeal for me, condsidering I have been going for about 7 Years!

Rant over! beerchug.gif

Couldn't they just be getting "not very fast" confused with big and refined car?

My friend drove a new shape M5 for an afternoon and said it didn't feel as fast as he expected.He knows though,that with that power output it's bloody fast but just didn't feel it as you would in a smaller car like a Golf.

Maybe a touch of VAG favouritism did rear its head at this meet,but who cares! VAG people will say they make the best cars,BMW owners will say the same,Porsche the same etc.

I bet half the people at the meet have driven/owned hardly anything other than Golfs,Passats,Corrado's and alike and so can't really give unbiased views on other brands.

I personally would rather have an M5 any day of the week but I'm sure plenty would disagree!!! 169144-ok.gif

Its not really about the brand you own meaning that you stick up for it. Yes you like it but with me I want a car down to this critera not because I am used to the brand!

Iam not a great fan of Jap cars but I do appricate there finer points!

It just seemed like that they just understand why I had gone to a BMW. Maybe they are not interested in the "Evo" Ladder Iam and my R32 taught me alot about opening up and looking at awhole what is out there. VWs are great cars don't get me wrong its just they have not done a car to really compare with cars of the same era.

Hope you get what I am saying.

That's the difference,you have an unbiased view(as I do)which means you take every car on it's own merits but not everyone does.I still maintain that some people are so loyal to one brand that they can't see past it.Why any Golf driver would wanna pick fault in an M5 is beyond me.

I reckon most brands have a great moment but getting people to admit it is another thing altogether!