Stereo options

rmines

Not sure if this is a silly question, but what are the actual differences in the various stereo options? I think the 4 main options are:

Single CD - standard

6 Disk changer (£395)

Radio System RCD 500 (£275)

Radio System RCD 500 with soundpack (£675)

The first 2 are pretty self explanatory, but what do you get extra with the second 2?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

First post btw. Test drove a MkV GTI on Saturday and loved the car but was disappointed with the stereo. I've got a 115 PD MkIV with stock stereo and its tons better (mind you so is the interior plastics). Has anyone got one with the RCD500 yet or RCD500 with the soundpack, and if so hows it sound? Strangely enough I pointed out the crap standard system to the stealer but he was sure there were no upgrades available.

cheers

Interesting..

Its annoying that you we'd need to do that though. The BOSE system in the Audi is superb. If it was an option in the Golf they'd never be sold without it. Think its only £350 too.

I didn't have any cd's when I took the test drive. Is there noticeable difference between the sound quality of the cd and radio?

I've ordered the soundpack, but the dealers I've spoken to were pretty vague about its contents. I understand it comprises of an uprated amplifier and slightly better speakers, but I'm not holding out a great deal of hope. When I test drove a car with the standard stereo, it sounded pretty flat. Tried one of the CDs that was already in the car, and it was barely any better than the radio.

Unfortunately, because the soundpack doesn't increase the range of settings you can change i.e. you don't seem to get a bass boost or mid-range equalisation, it's not going to improve it a hell of a lot. I took the plunge, in the hope that at least it couldn't be any worse than the standard stereo. If anyone has already got a car with the soundpack, I'd be very interested to know what they think of it. I've got 3 weeks until the projected build date, so I'm getting more curious by the minute.

Hello, by the way. Been lurking for a while.

This all sounds rather disappointing. The audio in my previous GT TDi 150 was pretty good, and I'd understood that VW used Blaupunkt components for their in-car audio equipment. My current car, an MR2, has a very poor stock audio system, so I upgraded the head unit to a Blaupunkt CD/mp3 player, with Focal component speakers. The improvement in quality was pretty significant. However, the thought of replacing all 10 speakers in my GTi (when it arrives), sounds expensive. I'd also be interested in any comments on the soundpack quality.

• 2 months later...

I know it's been nearly four months since last post here, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I gather few of you must have received your GTi by now and was wondering if you had any up to date feedback on the quality of the soundpack option.

Thanks.