Tyre choice - Suggestions please

mikespence

Hi All

It's time to replace the tyres on my car AGAIN, and I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions on what to shoe my Type R with.

I'm currently only getting about 12-14K out of the set of Bridgestone Potenza RE040 that came with the car and for £600 per set I feel that's a bit steep. I don't mind paying a bit extra if I'm going to get the extra milage out of them but I also don't want to find myself going backwards into a hedge due to reduced performance.

If anyone has any suggestions/experience on different tyres then please feel free to comment.

Cheers

Goodlord - where did you get quoted £600 for Potenza's

I run Potenza RE050As, step up from RE040, and they're 225/40-18.

I paid £115 each for them !!

Is the Tyre R 17" alloys, if so RE040's are a tad under £100 per corner for 224/45-47, at www.mytytres.co.uk, thats inc VAT and delivery to your door!

I've used them on more than one occassion and they're fine to order from. Just need a fitter once you get them!

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Had F1s on for the past 12k and they're a cut above the PZero Rossos that mine came with.

PZeros lasted 18k (all 4 went at once), these are looking like they'll go to around 20k.

Cost around £110 for 225/40 x 18s

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could get them in 235/40x18 for that money. They're nearer to £160 a go. crazy.gif

They still get my vote as demonstrated by me buying some at the weekend. grin.gif

I was quoted £600 by those paragons of virtue at Kwik fit as they said that they would have to order the tyres in as specials.

Finally got the last set fitted for £450 by my local Humphries.

I put the £600 in there as an indicator on what I would realisticly expect to pay for a reasonable set of performance tyres and thanks for the link, I'll have a look on there later. smile.gif

Thank you all for your suggestions and it seems that the Goodyear F1 GSD3 is the tyre to go for, unfortunatly after a bit of lloking it seems that Goodyear don't make that tyre in the 205/45 17 spec I need.

I do have a choice, however, of the following -

Falken ZE 512 (Special Offer) 205/45 R17 W £84.04

Kumho Ecsta 712 205/45 R17 Z £86.36

Bridgestone RE040 (Special Offer) 205/45 R17 W £109.63

Toyo 950 R/F 205/45 R17 H £122.49

Pirelli Pzero Assimetrico R/F 205/45 R17 W £126.55

Dunlop SP9000 205/45 R17 Z £135.01

Yokohama A539 (Special Offer) 205/45 R17 W £136.07

Yokohama Parada Spec 2 205/45 R17 W £138.02

Michelin Exalto 2 205/45 R17 W £157.74

Any recommendations from the above list? Prices are for fitted and not just the tyre.

not really in the same league you're looking at, but avoid Pirelli P6000s like the plague. Road noise is ok, dry grip is ok, but wet grip is sh1te. In fact wet grip isn't far off the near bald performance of the previous continentals.

I still don't know why I chose them over the ContactSport2s I originally selected.

[ QUOTE ]

I would also say avoid the Falkens as well, they don't grip wonderfully and wear incredibly quickly.

Toyos are a good tyre, incredibly grippy but wear quite quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the ZE512 Falkens on the back of my Polo, thanks to the previous owner (I don't do a huge mileage so they've lasted a while). I'd agree, they're not brilliant IMO, and because I'm a fussy git the sidewall design is a little odd, they look more like a 50 profile tyre than a 45 - I checked btw, they are a 45 profile tyre, just look a bit odd crazy.gif

As for the Toyos, I'm ordering a pair of Toyo T1Ss to replace the aforementioned Falkens today. I've heard they're really good and grippy, if not a touch fast-wearing.

[ QUOTE ]

I have the ZE512 Falkens on the back of my Polo

[/ QUOTE ]

I had Z-rated Falkens on my A4Q for 6 years - awesome tyre for the money. Having said that - Australia isn't the UK, so road temps (43C on the bitumen yesterday) and conditions here have radically different effects on tyre performance.

I have Falken ZEIX ZE512 225/40ZR18W92 on the back of the R32, and they stick as well as the Goodyear GSD-3 F1s on the front. I'm going to replace the F1s with the Falkens when they wear out - not only heaps cheaper (<50%) and much easier to obtain, but in Australian driving conditions (and speeds), they are not noticeably different in performance.

You can also drive in snow/ice conditions on them without the car-threatening loss of grip the F1s display.

More importantly, they do not pick up road junk or suffer penetration like the F1s (I've had a 9-inch coach bolt through the right rear original F1, and yesterday a big tek screw through the front left - which I got plugged).

FYI - the Toyo Proxes are available here - but wear very quickly in our conditions and general driving madness.

Some of the guys at work who have M3s have gone the Falken and Toyo routes - but they all seem to be heading back to the Continentals in discussions I have had with them. So, maybe the Contis are something else to consider?