Audi A4 S-Line Avant 10K Review

IanHo

Date Acquired: 1st September 2004

Mileage to Date: 10,192

Oil Consumption to Date: 0.8 litres

Miles/Days to Service: 6,600 485 Days (How do they work out the days? confused.gif)

Average MPG from DIS: 30

Best MPG from DIS: 39

Best Range on DIS: 565

Average mileage from full tank: 400 with about 7 litres left in tank, 30-40 miles left on DIS

Faults to Date: None

Costs to Date: New Bulbs £ 30, S-Line Grill Badge £18, New Wheel £ 260.00 crazy.gif Steering & Suspension Check £ 40.00, Tyre Swap & Tracking £ 30.00.

Thought I’d post up a quick review as I’ve just past the magic 10K. My first Audi expected great things based on Audi’s reputation and it’s lived up to my expectations in nearly all areas. Build quality is top notch no rattles, squeaks or leaks despite my best efforts, after stripping down the interior to fit mobile phone kit & road angel.

Find the engine and gearbox a great combination; IMHO six speed boxes should be fitted to every car. As long as you keep the revs above the magic 1950 mark it just pulls in any gear. When you get above 40 you can stick it in sixth and leave it. Once or twice have got carried away changing gear and tried to find seventh to no avail smashfreakB.gif. Turbo Lag doesn’t exist as far as I can tell, would possibly look at remap etc. in future as the engine has obviously got more to give.

As I have mentioned before the only slight disappointment is the ride and handling especially on the motorway. For whatever reason it feels more skittish than the Alfa I had previously. I have read this about the B6 A4 in the motoring press, so I guess I’ll just have to live with it.

Saw another S-Line Avant in Moro Blue today, getting on the M40 North at Bicester and it looked the dogs.

Glad I had the Xenon’s look great when you fire them up and they self adjust, especially in petrol stations blush.gif. Love it when you’re on an empty motorway at night and they are illuminating signs ¾ mile down the road.

Bose – Difficult one this as I know there are differing opinions on here about how good or not it is. IMHO it’s a good, but not great system. I’ve not heard the standard setup but from what people say it's pretty good anyway before the upgrade. Come resale time though I reckon having a Bose stereo could be a good selling point.

I think the Alu trim strips add an extra touch of class to the car. Front Armrest should be there as standard couldn’t do without it. Reversible mat keeps the boot like new and well worth the 60 quid.

Options I wish I had – Storage Pack, Symphony Audio.

Overall – Love It!

Nice review IanHo - I have almost an identical car to yours. I skipped the Bose and got the storage pack and Syphony.

I too am almost at the magic 10K and the car still feels as tight as it was when new apart from the engine that has got better.

So far I have used about 0.4 of a litre. However you seem to be getting about 100miles more to a tank?????? 400miles you say - I need to stretch it to get 300.

I also had, not a rattle but the drivers door would almost move and you could hear it rubbing against the rubber. The guys on here say it can be fixed, Adui know about it and I will leave it till the next (first) service. Yeah how do they calculate the days - the Oil just must have a long life. Also I was thinking that the Brake fluid would maybe need to be changed then - My mothers BMW 318iSE (2.0 litre) gave the signal for the brake fuid to be changed before the car was due a service! she has done about 14k in 3 years! pengy.gif

Glad you are still enjoying it!

For comparison :

Date Acquired: 31st March 2004

Mileage to Date: 12,153

Oil Consumption to Date: 1.0 litres

Miles/Days to Service: 7,600 481 Days

Average MPG from DIS: 54

Best MPG from DIS: 62

Best Range on DIS: 740

Average mileage from full tank: 640 with about 10 litres left in tank, 80 miles left on DIS

Faults to Date: Dicky aircon,

Costs to Date: You know this bit already!

Depreciation : Cost 24k new, I reckon 16k trade-in now smashfreakB.gif

I know the Quattro uses more fuel but 100 miles per tank seems a lot.

Just to rub salt into the wound, I'm on a economy run at the mo. Yesterday got 420 miles with 40 left on DIS and 7 litres in the tank when I filled up. Done 220 miles since then and have between 1/2 and 3/4 tank left, 265 miles on DIS. Averaging about 34 MPG mostly motorway driving.

[ QUOTE ]

Saw another S-Line Avant in Moro Blue today, getting on the M40 North at Bicester and it looked the dogs.

Glad I had the Xenon’s look great when you fire them up and they self adjust, especially in petrol stations blush.gif. Love it when you’re on an empty motorway at night and they are illuminating signs ¾ mile down the road.

I think the Alu trim strips add an extra touch of class to the car. Front Armrest should be there as standard couldn’t Options I wish I had – Storage Pack , Symphony Audio.

Overall – Love It!

[/ QUOTE ]

A great review Ian and I second it all . Symphony II is great, I really wouldn't miss the storage pack at all but for £75 I can't knock it. I must say I do like dark Avants I pass another S-Line some mornings in black - looks great with the Alu strips . I think a set of Alu mirrors would really set it off though!! 169144-ok.gif I love my Avus and I think having a dark car would kill me -I'm just too fussy for my own good. Silver hides a lot too ( stone chips small marks etc). They are great cars for the money especially now the B7s are out ....4k more for a like for like 2.0Tfsi NO WAY! shocked.gif

I'm up for a re-map and that will be that .Carry on enjoying

the car beerchug.gif

Slipped my mind earlier smashfreakB.gif, but IIRC the Quattro has a 63 litre tank as opposed to a 70 on the FWD, so it's probably not quite as bad as it first seems. Did a rough calculation and it looks like you’re getting about 1 mile per litre less than me (assuming we both fill up with about 7 litres left), bearing in mind most of my driving is on Motorways frown.gif.

I have only had my s-line for 3 months and covered around 1500 miles.(Don't live far from work)

I have never managed to get the DIS to show more than 30 mpg even on a long trip!!

Is my right foot really that heavy? dung.gif

My DIS shows a service due in 7300 miles having covered 4800.It must be all the short trips I make!!!

However really happy with the car.Still getting used to having a practical car which is fun to drive as well!(Had a Boxster before this)