Fast car: what is the point?

Andrew

A couple of weeks ago I got collared for speeding on the A3 - I got 3 points and a fine which was a bit of a let off really as I was doing 75 in a 50 but the roads were light etc. It was fair enough, I was speeding so no complaints there.

Now, I don't normally drive like a nutter (getting 19,000 miles out of my front tyres will tell you that) but occassionally it is nice just to flex the right foot to enjoy the cars power. However, last night I drove past the same spot on the A3 when it was dark and there was a policeman there with his laser ready to nab me; I wasn't speeding but could easily have been tempted to open it up a little bit given the roads were empty and it is a 3 lane road. Let's face it, it doesn't take much to wind on too much speed does it.

It got me thinking, what is the point of having a fast car when you really can't use it these days. There are cameras everywhere and the old bill are hell bent on pulling people for speeding. Later on I saw a dust cart doing in excess of 50 mph through Battersea high street - now that is worthy of a few points.

I boiled it down to the fact that all the top model cars are fast and most of the top models look the nicest and are filled with the best toys too. Perhaps this is the thinking behind the S-Line range from Audi.

Anyway, I feel for people like Phatgixer who have cars which you only have to breathe on the accelerator and you are doing massive speeds.

Fast cars are lovely but what is the point?

And on top of that you have the number of cars on the roads these days especially in the south east.

Still, its worth it for the few times you can use the potential and you've always got the old 'overtake in safety' etc arguments. Quieter cruising is also one of my favourite justifications.

There are still plenty of country roads where 60 can be fun too especially in the dark - more a feeling of speed as well as being better able to detect oncoming traffic.

Phatgixer takes them to track days. 169144-ok.gif

I spectate, but cant stretch to the insurance, the day, the fuel, brake pads , tyre wear. Its my daily runner.

they also and often frequent abroad where you can go on the auto bahns.

also depends where you live.

If you live in the City, then you havent got a hope, A. due to cameras, B. due to sheer traffic.

Get out in the counrtyside and its not so much of a problem.

It's not ultimately about speed. It's about power and accelaration. If I'm going up a mountain then it's not whether I can do it at 50 or 70 or 90. It's about powering out of the bend and attaining the speed I want quickly.

Same for normal road driving. It doesn't matter that the car will do 165 or so. It's about being able to get to the speed I want to be at quickly and to have the power to do this despite hills, etc.

Of course it's then put to use on track or used in Germany.

I can totally understand you if you're stuck in 30 zones all the time. In this case you might as well get a Smart car.

I'm realising that you just don't need a really fast car, a 330 BM' is plenty fast enough for me in 95% of situations, it's all well and good that the C32 is seriously fast, but for the extra petrol it uses, I don't utilise the benefits. I am not interested in racing these days and over 300bhp is wasted on me nowadays.

Temtping fate here but I've had quickish cars since I learnt to drive and do drive quickly a lot.

However I'm super observant and have had IAM/Rozzer training.

Never had a speedin ticket or even been stopped.

It IS still possible to have fun if you're super careful!

Lodders - So a 330i is your idea of "slow" is it?!!

Fast is all relative - just ask Colin ... or Neil Armstrong.

I'm probably talking about the fastest 25% on the roads - things that are built to go quickly and are more fun when you do so which probably includes things like Corolla T Sports.

[ QUOTE ]

Not arguing, just curious.

Your idea of fast is my idea of "bloody fast!"

Assume the E30 M3 and Evo 260 are no included then?

What's the 0-100 for the Merc?

How about an Elise 111R? Great 0-60 but poor 0-100 yet I'd call that fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assume the E30 M3 and Evo 260 are no included then? NO

What's the 0-100 for the Merc? 10.8

How about an Elise 111R? Great 0-60 but poor 0-100 yet I'd call that fast. I'd say ir was 'real world' bloody quick, but I still wouldn't class it as fast.

Nice topic!!!

Gotta agree, i see your point, my diesel only has 90BHP, yet most of the time, i either cant all of my horses legally, or some idiot is holding me up.

I dont actually think any more horses would speed my average journey up by more than a minute (without breaking the law), and i do get baffled when i see people doing the same journey in a 4.0 Jag or something, what is the point?

And therein lies my point. I hadn't even considered the fact that most of the time you can't use all the ponies even if you wanted to given traffic.

I like the fact that I can go quickly if i want to, most of the time that is enough but in terms of petrol consumption and insurance premium that is an expensive hobby! Even moreso now I've a £60 fine to pay!!

Was behind a Suburu Impressa Turbo Nutter WRX STI ABC DEF GHI today, all gold wheels and tea tray spoiler.

We joined a fast B road and on the first short straight he pulled out and passed the Metro in front of us both with a burst of proper acceleration. Two flashes of the offside indicator, two flashes of the nearside and he was in front and gone, whooosh!

I had no chance of overtaking, straights were short and the road twisty.

Less than a minute later the Metro (still in front of me) caught up with the Imprezza which was stuck behind a dozen other cars stuck behind a horsebox.

Game over Imprezza. crazy.gif